Pass around of my Spyderco C160 Foundry!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Re: Pass around of my Spyderco C160 Foundry!

Post by gbelleh »

salimoneus wrote:No offense, but just not really seeing the point of this pass around. First off nobody can really carry the knife, sharpen, or cut much of anything with it. So what's left to do, just to hold it in your hands I guess? Second, it's such a limited production, that it likely won't be available to the general public in any way shape or form. So if you end up "loving it", too bad, because you can't get one. I would think one set of pics and a review should suffice, all this just seems a bit silly to me, but by all means have at it :spyder:
Well, I plan to do a video review on it, and my reviews are a bit... unique. Should at least be entertaining. I'm looking forward to the others' opinions and pictures too.
Tactical Max might have to make a comeback for this one... :D
:bug-red-white
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Got the knife! Expect a review and and some (hopefully) halfway decent pics of it soon.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
salimoneus wrote:No offense, but just not really seeing the point of this pass around. First off nobody can really carry the knife, sharpen, or cut much of anything with it. So what's left to do, just to hold it in your hands I guess? Second, it's such a limited production, that it likely won't be available to the general public in any way shape or form. So if you end up "loving it", too bad, because you can't get one. I would think one set of pics and a review should suffice, all this just seems a bit silly to me, but by all means have at it :spyder:
First off, do you really expect me to let people use and greatly devalue what could be the rarest Spyderco in my collection? I mean, if you're willing to let people do that with your knives, more power to you! But I don't see any pass arounds that you have created.

Second: "So what's left to do, just to hold it in your hands I guess?" That's exactly the point. Bonus is that people can compare it to their other knives and take pictures.

And finally, I'm not making anyone participate. In fact, it wasn't even my idea. ;) :)
LOL, dam* right, I cant wait to fondle that knife! :) This pass around is awesome imo.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

gbelleh wrote:
Well, I plan to do a video review on it, and my reviews are a bit... unique. Should at least be entertaining. I'm looking forward to the others' opinions and pictures too.
Tactical Max might have to make a comeback for this one... :D
Your reviews are epic. I cant wait. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Strong-Dog wrote:Got the knife! Expect a review and and some (hopefully) halfway decent pics of it soon.
Its in good hands with you. No doubt about it.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

MacLaren wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:Got the knife! Expect a review and and some (hopefully) halfway decent pics of it soon.
Its in good hands with you. No doubt about it.
I appreciate it man!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I can't wait to see everyone's reviews and to hear what you think of the knife. :)
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Strong-Dog's First Impressions of Goldenspydie's Foundry in Order:

1. This is a very thin, but very solid knife that has a bit of heft to it (I like that).

2. Action is stiff, but smooth. Frame-lock exerts a lot of pressure on the blade. I don't want to mess with the pivot, so I'm going to add a couple of drops of nano-oil to help loosen it up if that is ok.

3. Has probably the most solid "THWACK!" when it locks up as any frame-lock I've ever handled. It locks up with authority, seriously.

4. Is extremely comfortable in the hand, much more so than I anticipated. The thinness of it doesn't take away from the comfort in hand at all.

5. The gimping is very nicely done, not too much, not too little. It could be sharper, but then again I'm from the school of thought that gimping could always be sharper. It is very good gimping though.

6. Blade is slightly biased towards none locking side, which I have a hunch that it is from the pressure of the lock-bar and not quality issues. Again, not my knife so I don't want to mess with anything.

7. Has beautiful milling marks in the lock-bar cutout, again nicely done Spyderco.

8. The engraving of the Spydie emblem and info on the blade is the nicest I've ever seen. It looks way different than normal, much nicer and just better all around. It has almost a silver lining around it, with deep black laser etching in the center. It looks different than my other U.S. Spydies after comparison.

9. Very strong detent, which I like.

10. Very nicely executed frame-lock. I cannot push the lock-bar in at all, and locks up at probably around 40%. Not too late, not too early. Perfect. Also, it has an internal over-travel tab (maybe a stabilizer as well?). Very cool design.

Those are just my first impressions after a little bit of handling. I will be posting some more thoughts and pictures later as I spend more time with it. I'll make sure to take lots of comparison pictures as well.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks for the write up!

It is totally fine to adjust the pivot if you would like to. It uses a T8 torx wrench. Oil is ok, too.

Anyway, I'm glad that you like it. Enjoy! :)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'd be very tempted to buy one if Spyderco made it a production item...steel handled frame lock would definitely be stronger than a titanium version, and the extra weight wouldn't be a disadvantage some of time time when I carry a knife. And a heavier knife with a wire clip, assuming it's stronger than the normal version, would be more than welcome.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How 'bout some pics of the knife around where y'all live? Makes it more passaroundy. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Jazz wrote:How 'bout some pics of the knife around where y'all live? Makes it more passaroundy. :cool:
That's a scientific term for "having more pictures".
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Yeah, no pressure or anything here Strong Dog, but this is the first page of this thread without a pic.... Just sayin' ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Jazz wrote:How 'bout some pics of the knife around where y'all live? Makes it more passaroundy. :cool:
That's a great idea. :)
I'll certainly oblige.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Comparison Pics!

Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

(Excuse my sub-par photography)

Overall:

This knife is no doubt very cool. It is high quality, and very nicely executed. One thing that adds to the whole knife is the limited availability. While I do like the knife, if it were regular production there is no way I would spend anywhere near $300 on it, and anywhere over $200 I'd have a very hard time justifying it. The collectibility adds to it's value, but I for one wouldn't want to carry this around and beat on it. I'd rather spend less say on a Domino. So in my opinion, this knife fits the niche role of extremely collectible Spyderco that fanatics will be all over. It doesn't have the same allure of the newest steel like a sprint run would, but for long term die-hard fans this is a must have (if you can get your hands on it). Also, the fact that it is entirely constructed of materials from the same supplier makes this an extremely unique knife.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks for the pics and review, Strong Dog!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Is it supposed to be that expensive? I can't seem to track down an MSRP on it.

Edit: Found it. $349.95! I had no idea.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Both excellent pics and write up strongdog!