Dragonfly popularity

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Dragonfly popularity

Post by elena86 »

I often wonder why do I love dragonfly model so much and why is it so popular....being so small and such... ? I never thought I will love such a small knife the way I love it and in fact it is my only small Spydie.Manbug no warm, Ladybug no warm, maybe Jester gives me a startle....but when I see my G10 Dragonfly...there is something magic in this knife.Dragonfly lovers, can you explain the feeling...?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

To me, the Dragonfly is the perfect "in-between" knife. By that I mean that it perfectly fills the gap between the smaller knives (e.g. Ladybug/Manbug) and the larger knives (e.g. Delica, Endura). IMHO, the Dragonfly is one of the best LBK's ever designed because despite its small size, it still handles larger cutting chores with relative ease. I've also thought that the Dragonfly was exceptionally ergonomic for its size--which is a difficult feature to achieve on the smaller knives.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

The dragonfly is constantly fighting the chaparral for my favourite knife position. It is the perfect size for discrete and/or urban carry and cuts way beyond its size. The price point is nice too and I don't ever worry about losing my production CG 10 version and bring it places when I think losing it is possible
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

This is one knife I haven't really warmed up too. I just got a superblue df and I love the steel but for some reason I'm not diggin the knife in general. I can't really pinpoint it but it's not clicking with me. I am to use it the rest of the month hopefully it will grow on me.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

My gf has a df, it feels cheap to me and the finish isnt great. I think the black frn (only the black) feels like sintered pampers, but the g10 df would probably be more substantial.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Cheddarnut wrote:My gf has a df, it feels cheap to me and the finish isnt great. I think the black frn (only the black) feels like sintered pampers, but the g10 df would probably be more substantial.
My thoughts too.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My Dragonfly models are constantly fighting a pocket war with the Kopa, but they both share a similar size so I completely agree thatery he Dragonflyesque knives from Spyderco may very well be close to the perfect size...... or is the Military the perfect one? ;)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The G10 Dfly is an ergonomic delight and a marvel of engineering. It was the third Spydie I purchased and I still EDC it several times a week, with its matching Forest Green PM2.

I especially like Mr. Blonde's video review of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5r3bnUZlXs
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Cheddarnut wrote:...I think the black frn (only the black) feels like sintered pampers, but the g10 df would probably be more substantial.
Hee hee! :D That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is my favorite pocket knife. I carry the G10 DF everyday. Sometimes, I will take along another knife for specific purposes, but the G10 DF goes right back in my pocket when I get home. It is the perfect EDC knife and up to tasks people would think they need a larger knife for. My wife loved my orange DF so much she snatched mine (replaced a BM Mini Grip with it!). I had to buy another one. I have a number of DFs in various configurations. This is the knife that brought me back to Spyderco. It fits my XL hand very well, is comfortable to use, and carries well. I love them. I wish I could buy more.

I would love to have one in Superblue like Badfish as I love carbon steel. Sadly, I missed out on the run do to other things needing my attention.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
araneae

Post by araneae »

It's just more knife than its size should allow. It is such a great fit ergonomically for me that I will likely always have one in my primary rotation. It is small enough that it doesn't raise eyebrows, but big enough to do real work. The lightweight of it just disappears when you clip it on your pocket and the FRN is durable enough that I still have 1st Gen d'flies from the 90's going strong.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I don't have a G-10 Dragonfly, but I love my FRNs. When small size and light weight are important, they're hard to beat.
:bug-red-white
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Doc Dan wrote:This is my favorite pocket knife. I carry the G10 DF everyday. Sometimes, I will take along another knife for specific purposes, but the G10 DF goes right back in my pocket when I get home. It is the perfect EDC knife and up to tasks people would think they need a larger knife for. My wife loved my orange DF so much she snatched mine (replaced a BM Mini Grip with it!). I had to buy another one. I have a number of DFs in various configurations. This is the knife that brought me back to Spyderco. It fits my XL hand very well, is comfortable to use, and carries well. I love them. I wish I could buy more.

I would love to have one in Superblue like Badfish as I love carbon steel. Sadly, I missed out on the run do to other things needing my attention.
I picked a couple in SB and gave one to my wife, she loves it so much it never leaves her purse which surprised me because she's not really into knives. On a side note, National still has them in stock if you are still looking to pick one up.....
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have the SS Dfly and it was a gift, has my initials on the handle. Never would have gotten it for myself, but what a tank. Really solid and hefty without being a boat anchor. A non-afi would definitely equate its heft with quality. I also love the G10 but have not pulled the trigger. In FRN the only one that blows my skirt up is the H1 SE. Now if we can get Sal to make us the hawkbill Dfly in H1 SE, that would be the P4P best cutter in the series
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I absolutely love mine! For the longest time I put off getting one because I didn't feel the need for it as I always carry a larger folder, manix, para, endura etc. but my pe salt dragonfly is the perfect backup companion to any larger blade. Especially if your around sheeple! They don't get too scared of the little guy :) it's definitely a winner in my book.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
wolfgaze

Re: Dragonfly popularity

Post by wolfgaze »

I have a FRN Dragonfly 2 on the way....

Do you think we'll ever see a model with black G-10 handles?

Have there been any rumors as to what future models/variants may be coming down the line?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've lost track how many DragonFlies I have. Collectively, they are probably my most-carried, most-used Spydercos of all time. Recently, the ZDP-189 and SuperBlue models have been getting an inordinate amount of pocket time at the office - sans clips...

TedP
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have the G-10 and a few FRN models. I don't like the G-10. It's heavier and doesn't feel any stronger. Once you figure out that the FRN models are plenty strong for a small knife, you can save yourself some weight. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Donut wrote:I have the G-10 and a few FRN models. I don't like the G-10. It's heavier and doesn't feel any stronger. Once you figure out that the FRN models are plenty strong for a small knife, you can save yourself some weight. :)
Strange because it is the opposite for me. I like the heft of the G-10 model and I do "feel" it is stronger (though this may only be in my head). It is like a little Caly in my mind and I need to remember to do a blade swap one of these days for the Superblue or ZDP.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

xceptnl wrote:I like the heft of the G-10 model and I do "feel" it is stronger (though this may only be in my head).
The same is true of either version of the Robin. The liners reduce handle flex and lateral blade play. In most situations, I prefer the FRN Dragonfly, but I opt for the Robin and Native 5 FRN at work.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.