Shiny sprint clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Shiny sprint clips

Post by twinboysdad »

I love Spyderco. I generally never complain much, however the use of bright and shiny pocket clips is something that I see as room for improvement. Yes, I have a bias toward deep carry wire clips and have said that many times. Carrying my Cruwear Manix just highlights how much I do not like shiny clips. Same clip that has kept me from getting a blue Lava because that model easily could have had a wire clip in its conversion to G10. I know the DIY stonewash option is there, and I don't have a real solution to offer as the black painted clips are only marginally better. Would a factory anodized or stonewash appeal to the group here and would the appeal justify us paying a bit more? I would not expect the Glessers to eat the cost!! Curious what others think
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'm more interested in the aesthetics...some knives look good with the polished hourglass clip. I have nothing to hide so they don't bother me being shiny. For example, the shiny clip on my Lava looks better than a dark one would...if I stonewashed the blade and liners, or acid washed them however (As I'm considering...I'll decide once I see the new scales), I'd have to match the clip and hardware. I do prefer the deep carry wire clip most of the time, but the hourglass clip is definitely stronger and is better suited to the larger and heavier knives IMO. The Lava would definitely be better with a wire clip, but it's far from a dealbreaker in my mind. In short...I like variety and as a result, I don't mind.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I actually prefer standard clips as opposed to deep carry ones because it's easier for me to grab the knife and concealment isn't much of an issue. Although the shiny clips look nice per se in and out of the pocket, to me it's too "blingy" especially on sunny days where it practically catches glare like a mirror... And since they dont offer parkerized/oxide clips (yet), that leaves me with the painted version which I dislike even more because of it chipping (dislike it esp.on my nicer knives)...

The best solution that worked for me (also the cheapest as a bonus) is to put heat shrink tubing on both my shiny AND painted clips. It's like $5 for several feet of it on EBay, automotive stores have it also but is less cost effective. I am surprised that not many people have tried this simple solution. To me, its problem completely solved. It shrinks to form, clip stays black/ looking nice, keeps the clip mint condition if that matters, retains in the pocket really well after some adjustment.

Just a sampling:
Get some!

Disclaimer: I bought the S90v Millie second hand from the BF exchange. Couldn't pass it up for the price.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Donut

Post by Donut »

IMO, it would be interesting to have a factory stonewash clip sold as an accessory.

I would think they should have the equipment there from however they stonewashed the Manix 2's.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

FCM415,

Brilliant!!

Donut,

I would buy a stonewashed or anodized clip from Spyderco if they offered it.

Again, this is from a simple afi perspective. I look at everyone I see and check for clips, not because I am Jason Bourne, but because I love knives. As such, the shiny clips are just over the top and remind me of cheesy brands and industrial box cutters in the pocket.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

twinboysdad wrote:FCM415,

Brilliant!!

Donut,

I would buy a stonewashed or anodized clip from Spyderco if they offered it.

Again, this is from a simple afi perspective. I look at everyone I see and check for clips, not because I am Jason Bourne, but because I love knives. As such, the shiny clips are just over the top and remind me of cheesy brands and industrial box cutters in the pocket.
I hear you. Seems like the older I get, the more subdued the clip the better. Now I’ll admit that there was a time in my life (when I was young and imprudent) where I actually preferred my knives to have a shiny clip. (This was so I could “show off the goods” and achieve the maximum “bling” factor). I like the idea of having an aftermarket anodized or stonewashed clip available for those interested. I didn’t know how spectacular the stonewashed wire clip would look until I held the Techno for the first time. Revolutionary concept!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I like the bright shiny clips. I think they look gorgeous.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I'm more interested in the aesthetics...some knives look good with the polished hourglass clip. I have nothing to hide so they don't bother me being shiny. For example, the shiny clip on my Lava looks better than a dark one would...if I stonewashed the blade and liners, or acid washed them however (As I'm considering...I'll decide once I see the new scales), I'd have to match the clip and hardware. I do prefer the deep carry wire clip most of the time, but the hourglass clip is definitely stronger and is better suited to the larger and heavier knives IMO. The Lava would definitely be better with a wire clip, but it's far from a dealbreaker in my mind. In short...I like variety and as a result, I don't mind.
^This^ applies to me as well. I actually like the shiny clip on the Cruwear Manix...wire clips on large knives just aren't my thing. However, I do like the wire clip on the lightweight models, such as the UKPK.

The Stretch came with a black clip, so not all sprints have a shiny one.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I also don't like the shiny clips. Way too blingy for me. I often swap clips with the black painted type if possible for a model I plan to carry a lot. My favorite clip finish Spyderco has done is the matte finish found on the JD Smith sprint, (and more recently, the finish on the Kahr Delicas).
:bug-red-white
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Im a wire clip guy. Wish every spyderco had the option of putting a wire clip on if you wanted to.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Benchmades parkerized clip finish is my favourite, flat, industrial, and develops character as it wears as opposed to the painted clips that start looking trashy when they get scratched. I wonder where the clips are produced, and what the cost would be. Id park my own but id rather not get into the chemicals. Wasnt torch bluing mentioned a while ago, but was said to kill the springiness of the steel?
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I guess i am in the minority in the fact that shiny clips do not bother me. I will say I hate the wire clips and the deep carry clips as well. I could not care less if anyone knows I have a knife. Everybody knows that a pocket clip means there is a knife in the persons pocket. So it does not matter if it's Deep carry, wire, or not. The only true concealment is if the knife is carried loose in the pocket. For me I take ease of use as a top priority. If the knife is difficult to retrieve from the pocket due to a "deep carry" clip or a wire clip that grips too tightly I feel ease of use has been thrown out the window.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I agree with the OP regarding the bright shiny clips - I also prefer deep carry wire clips on the smaller knives.

I avoid the painted clips, because they scratch and chip so easily. I would easily pay a few $$$ more for the GB's dark / bronze clip if it was an option. That coating is extremely tough, and it takes some effort to scratch.

For the last while I've been swapping all my factory clips with Casey Lynch deep carry Ti clips. I like the stonewashed titanium because it is very subdued and blends into most pockets without advertising what you are carrying.

I will try the heat-shrink on my next shiny clip.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Standard clips are better for carrying and retrieving. I have nothing to , so deep carry is just a pain.

Dark clips get scratched up. I don't really mind this, I like a knife with patina, but that's a negative to some people...

My favorite clip is probably the shiny, curved clip on my ti/g10 Millie.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I like the scratches on the dark clips...shows the knife is well loved and used, and none will have the exact same scratch pattern as yours...one more thing that makes your knife truly yours. I'm a car fanatic and have instinctly taught myself not to brush any part of myself on things because it's easy to scratch paint on a car, whether from a knife clip or from a rivet or zipper on a jacket or pair of jeans, so it takes me a while to build up this degree of scratches...especially as my collection grows because each knife receives a roughly proportionate reduction in carry time.

Oh Margie!
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
timlara

Post by timlara »

FCM415 wrote:The best solution that worked for me (also the cheapest as a bonus) is to put heat shrink tubing on both my shiny AND painted clips.
Very clever hack, FCM415!

I am also in the minority I guess, in that I like the shiny clips just fine. Like twinboysdad, wire clips are my first choice in most cases, but on some knives the regular hourglass clips really do just look right.

I'm also one of those weenies who gets annoyed when my painted clips get scratched up from snagging on stuff, at least if it's on one of my "Sunday Best" kind of knives that I just carry for light use.

I suppose I care about whatever suits the style of the particular knife the best, more so than how it looks in my pocket.
Tim
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Looks good doesnt it? Flat black in form fitting rubber like material. I learned it from the forums, perhaps this one. It is clever indeed, and worth a try. All my Spyderco users have it except for wire clips of course. Unless they offer parkerized clips, I'm good with this.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

GoodEyeSniper wrote:Standard clips are better for carrying and retrieving. I have nothing to , so deep carry is just a pain.

Dark clips get scratched up. I don't really mind this, I like a knife with patina, but that's a negative to some people...

My favorite clip is probably the shiny, curved clip on my ti/g10 Millie.
Yeah, I bought a 0770CF recently and that's as deep carry as you can get... Being so used to other knives, I sold it simply because I didnt like how unecessarily cumbersome it was to take out. Not that I like half a knife popping out hehe both extremes I can do without.

As far as dark clips, I do like how oxide/parkerized clips show wear. Painted clips, not so much. Its paint chipping off, thats never good at least to me.

Shiny clips look good but it tends to overstate a bit much over my bland attire and is shinier than my watch!
-Leonard Nimoy
FDE

Post by FDE »

I would really like to see a parkerized deep carry clip offered as a replacement for the standard hourglass clip. I prefer deep carry not because I have something to hide but rather for the obvious; it leaves less of the knife hanging out of your pocket. Snagging your pocket clip is just a part of normal life for us clip-it toaters but excessive (IMO) handle sticking out only makes the problem worse. For example the Para 2 snagged on me several times with factory clip. I've since switched to a deep carry clip and haven't had any more bad snagging. Of course there are aftermarket solutions available but I'd prefer one made of steel instead of titanium.
I'd like to give the shrink tubing a try; what size tube are you using?
tap78

Post by tap78 »

I think, that most of users do not like clips with scratched paint... but like worn black oxided clips :)
I can not understand why does Spyderco can't produce black oxided/dlc coated clips for their actual knives sold for hundreds of $$$ as did before (Manix I/Military)?
Even some cheap chinese knives for 8 bucks comes with beautifully black-oxidated clips...

Maybe You can produce them in china as lower end knives (Bird line/ect.) and sold them separately...
... i wish I could buy one black-oxided with Spyderco logo for my stealth delica ;)

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear