Massdrop - Anyone need a Southard?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kbuzbee

Massdrop - Anyone need a Southard?

Post by kbuzbee »

玉鋼
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

First I've heard about Massdrop. What's the deal?
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

wrdwrght wrote:First I've heard about Massdrop. What's the deal?
Think of it as an organized group buy. You can either buy in at the current level and get it, or commit to buy if they reach the required number of buyers. In this case (iirc) the current buy price is $229 and low lowest price is $199)

Ken

(Edit - I've bought several thing through them including a TM26 flashlight, which was an outstanding deal - and happens to be back right now as well)
玉鋼
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That's pretty cool. That would be a good option for the upcoming K2 I'd imagine.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

MacLaren wrote:That's pretty cool. That would be a good option for the upcoming K2 I'd imagine.
It's pretty cool how it works. Anyone can propose anything, then it goes up for a vote. If enough people vote for it, it gets done. I've seen some things that wound up being just a few dollars off what you can routinely buy them for but others have been half price, or less.

Ken
玉鋼
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

kbuzbee wrote:It's pretty cool how it works. Anyone can propose anything, then it goes up for a vote. If enough people vote for it, it gets done. I've seen some things that wound up being just a few dollars off what you can routinely buy them for but others have been half price, or less.

Ken
So, the K2 comes in @ let's say- $279 massdrop would then determine a price for single, 10 or 20 people purchase?
Possibly $279-$269-$259?
Does that sound about right?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Pretty much though even the initial buy tends to be a bit lower. In your example say $270, $260, $250. Look at the Southard drop you'll see what I mean.

Ken
玉鋼
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

kbuzbee wrote:Pretty much though even the initial buy tends to be a bit lower. In your example say $270, $260, $250. Look at the Southard drop you'll see what I mean.

Ken
Yeah, I did and your right. This could be really good. I appreciate ya bringing it to the forums attention. Count me in for a K2 group buy :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

kbuzbee wrote:Think of it as an organized group buy. You can either buy in at the current level and get it, or commit to buy if they reach the required number of buyers. In this case (iirc) the current buy price is $229 and low lowest price is $199)
Thanks. I think I'd better keep an eye on Massdrop...
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

MacLaren wrote:Yeah, I did and your right. This could be really good. I appreciate ya bringing it to the forums attention. Count me in for a K2 group buy :)
Wow. With all the attention the K2 has been getting, I suspect the going price on Massdrop would be something like $74.95. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

wrdwrght wrote:Thanks. I think I'd better keep an eye on Massdrop...
There have been some nice things. Jason's Alpha pens are (or were?) there along with dozens of other pens. 8-10 different flashlights, a dozen knives, just in the few months I've been on it. I always look forward to their emails, even if I'm not trolling the site ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thats a very cool idea for a store! Excellent marketing and great deals for buyers. Win Win
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

That is very interesting. How do they accomplish this? Does someone strike up a deal with a dealer or a distributor or something? I'm always wary of deals that may be too good to be true, especially when there's a comment from someone recommending that everyone buys knockoffs instead. I'd want to be sure they're coming from a reputable source and are genuine. Still, very novel idea.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I've had good luck with Massdrop so far as well. One time they messed up my shipment and left out some parts in an electronics kit that I bought and when I contacted them, they responded immediately and sent me an entire second complete kit, no questions asked, even though I would have been just fine waiting for only the parts I needed.

The prices are rarely "too good to be true" level, but they are almost always at least a few dollars less than the top retailers and as Ken said, occasionally MUCH cheaper than retail, particularly on hard to find/specialty/niche/hobby items. I would feel very comfortable buying from them again.
Tim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

They sound solid.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

You may be looking at the future of online buying.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser