Seto kitchen knife for steak?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sandi

Seto kitchen knife for steak?

Post by sandi »

Hi folks,

Has anyone got experience with the Seto kitchen knives. I was wondering if the 4.72" might make a good--and showy--steak knife.

cheers,
--Sandi
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I've had more than a few Seto knives, not only the ones distributed by Spyderco. They are excellent knives, some of my favorites actually. Obviously you have to like chef's knives with some carbide volume, and what that entails, but run well and I have no complaints other than their edges coming mildly over-buffed.

That said, I do not think that they would distinguish themselves as steak knives. This is for two reasons:

1) Steak isn't actually all that difficult to cut, unless you've got jaws of steel and are gnawing on a tough cut. That doesn't make a Seto a bad knife, it just means you won't notice it as particularly special.

2) When eating steak, you're cutting typically on a hard surface (ceramic dishware or the like) and often (depending on cut obviously) encounter bone. Both of these surfaces are very hard on plain edges, but due to their nature interfere far less with serrated edges which keep the cutting surfaces away from hard objects and thus sharper.

It is for these reasons that, while I'll gladly slice steak on a cutting board with my Setos, no way would I replace a steak knife with one. Its sort of a "right tool for right job" sort of situation.

My 2c.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have all the Seto damascus kitchen knives Spyderco sells. IMHO, they're great kitchen knives and the 4.72" Utility has one of the characteristics I value in a steak knife, plenty of fingers clearance. However, unless you make a habit of serving your steak on wooden trenchers, I'd agree with hunterseeker5 that a serrated blade will stay sharp a lot longer. As for me, my favorite steak, and the only one I buy, is London Broil and I slice those on a cutting board with my either my Spyderco or Seto Santoku before plating.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nate

Post by Nate »

I can't speak to the Seto knives, but a while ago I was looking around for something to use as a plain edged steak knife. I settled on a pair of carbon Opinel paring knives. I prefer the way they cut to my serrated knives. They do have to be sharpened frequently, but frankly the practice is good for me. They are fast and easy to sharpen anyway. Since the steel is tough and relatively soft, I haven' t had any edge damage beyond blunting. Still have my eyes open for an upgrade, but the Opinels have some good things going for them in this application.
:spyder:
Mjc1973

Post by Mjc1973 »

I think a south fork steak knife set would be awesome..
sandi

Post by sandi »

Thanks all