Spyderco: The Undisputed King Of Small Blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RJNC wrote:They are THE BEST makers of varied/well-made/consistent-new-models small knife makers.
Precisely my point in starting this thread. I've noticed for a few years now that Spyderco's small blades just don't have much competition from other knife companies. The other companies just don't put out the detailed quality in small folders like Spyderco does.

Again when it comes to those micro-blades that Spyderco makes i.e. The Ladybug, Manbug, Jester ect, it just continually blows me away that those ultra-small models have the huge fan base that they have. I personally don't use anything that small but I have nothing against them either. To me those models have always been novelty type blades for my uses and I've just never found a practical use for them personally at all. I do a lot of hard cutting jobs during the course of a day and the bigger and more ridgid folders like the NATIVE models do what I need done. I've actually recommended Ladybugs and Jesters to several women I know. Although I do try to encourage them to get something at least as big as the Delica or pink Native.

Also you would be hard pressed to find any other knife company that does small bladed folders with normal sized handles like the Dodo for instance>> which is one of my very favorite smaller models.

On the flip side of this praise I do hope to see Spyderco continue to make progress in their fixed blade arena and hopefully do some small fixed blades and maybe even bring back the SPOT model on a SPRINT RUN. I'm wondering if a smaller scale DODO wouldn't be great for a lot of these guys and gals who love the micro Spyders? I've wanted a larger DODO model for years but I'm also seeing a market for a smaller scale Dodo as well.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

twinboysdad wrote:I have been at Disney this week with a LBHB on my keychain and a Pingo clipped to back pocket. Have not had a single cutting opportunity that those two could not tackle. Neither is really a stand alone. But a Ladybug Hawkbill and a Pingo are kinda like Batman and Robin, a freakin dynamic duo. Now those who are SD driven would cringe at that selection, but if either were confiscated I would not have been as bother than if a sprint got grabbed by a mall cop
No surprises here, but the LBHB smoked every task it was thrown and the Pingo really only came out for some food (snack) prep for the kids. For the record, I could have carried a Tatanka at Disney but did not know that at the time.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was thinking the only competitor to Spyderco is people who prefer pretty looking knives over good performing knives.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think I was using my PPT as my primary carry at Disney, with a Serrated Dragonfly as backup.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:I was thinking the only competitor to Spyderco is people who prefer pretty looking knives over good performing knives.
But other than Victorinox or maybe Case who would even have the big of presence in the small blade folder market?? It's very limited as to what commercial knife companies that even could compete against Spyderco in the "small blade" sector.

Buck and Ka-Bar have a few small blades in their main line ups but they tend to be traditional type folders and are pretty commonplace.

When you really think about it I wouldn't know where to tell someone to go if they were in the market for a small bladed folder or fixed blade either for that matter with premium blade steel and a high quality handle material other than Spyderco.

Not to mention when you include all the great discontinued blades that they have made at one time which are fairly easy to find on the secondary markets>> with all of that said Spyderco even has a huge selection of premium small bladed folders as well.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Here are 4 more that weren't in my first picture. (Poliwog, Jess Horn, Spur, Ti Mini-Police)

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Here are 4 more that weren't in my first picture. (Poliwog, Jess Horn, Spur, Ti Mini-Police)
There are a few Spyderco models of the past that truly slipped through the cracks and for some unbeknownst reason got passed over at that particular time>> 2 models that come to mind immediately are the SPUR and it's big brother the PRO-GRIP. I do believe if those models were in the main line up today they would sell very well. Market timing is so critical in the knife market and it looks to me like those 2 models were truly ahead of their time. I think you can also add the G-10 Police and the G-10 Harpy models to that list even though those 2 are not in the small blade category.

As well as the micro blades are selling I'm wondering if bringing back the Baby Goddard and the Little Police models would be a good idea?

Spyderco's small blades are sure not short on fans and admirers.