Lost my EDC flashlight (Fenix LD-01)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Lost my EDC flashlight (Fenix LD-01)

Post by jackknifeh »

I lost my EDC light for about 3 days. It was in the couch. I found it the 2nd time I looked there. If I had used a flashlight the first time I looked I would have found it then. :) Anyway, I started looking for lights to replace it. The LD01 it seems has been replaced with the LD02. It uses a button on the tail cap to change brightnesses with a half-click. I had a light like that once and didn't care for it. I keep turning it off instead of changing brightnesses. To use the LD01 you tighten the head to turn it on to the med setting which is my favorite. Unscrew and tighten for dim and again for brightest. So, for me the Fenix LD01 is the perfect light in every aspect. What I might have to do is buy another LD01 in case I loose and can't find this light again.

In my searching for another light though I came across Ultrafire lights. These seem to have all the features I want (which are minimal) and the price is very good. I don't need ruggedness in my lights. There are a couple I like for $25 or less. But I don't want to spend $25 or less just to have the light fail. These are up to 300 or 500 lumens. But then you have the Out The Front brightness. I think that is the thing that indicates what is noticable. I don't understand that other than if I only look at the lumens rating it may be misleading when it comes to actuall brighness during use. I think that's right but don't know for sure.

Does anyone have experience with Ultrafire lights? I don't want much. Just a light with a couple of brightness settings. Since I found mine the lights I'm looking at are a little bigger than EDC lights. I don't need strobes or SOS or any of that stuff. That stuff just gets in the way when going through the settings until I get to the one I want. Plus the extra features increase the price I assume. Another reason I don't want to spend a lot of money on a larger light is since I have bought a few smaller, EDC size lights in the past few years I haven't needed a larger light than what a one or two AAA or AA light puts out. Truth is I may never need a flashlight bigger than what I have now. I'll probably end up getting one of the Ultrafire lights. At least if they are junk I won't loose much money. I bought a cheap single AA light on ebay and it works fine using alkaline batteries (1.5vdc). But the 1.2v rechargable batteries don't work in it. Another thing I've gotten spoiled to is having rechargable batteries. I never am out of batteries. Any light I get needs to work on rechargable AA or AAA batteries. One I'm looking at now uses 18650 rechargable batteries. For under $20 you get the light, two batteries and a charger. The light has a max of 2000 lumens. This sounds too good to be true so maybe it is. I looked on Battery Junction for rechargable 18650 batteries and two of them cost about what the entire package I'm looking at costs.

I don't NEED a larger flashlight very often if at all. I do use EDC lights now so spending more on a light, batteries and a charger makes sense. I do like the Fenix LD41 for around $60. It uses 4 AA batteries so I'm covered as far as batteries. Don't need another charger of decent quality to charge batteries for only one flashlight. So my question is spend $20 for the light, batteries, charger kit or $60 for a quality light? If the $20 light works it's the best choice for my needs. But $60 for reliability is a better decision if the $20 setup is crap. But $60 for a light I don't really need is kind of dumb also.

In addition to advice or info about Surefire lights how do the 18650 batteries work? It seems they should be high performance batteries.

Thanks for any help. Oh yeah, I have also been looking at a Fenix E15. One CR123 battery and up to 180 lumens on brightest setting. This one is brighter and still small enough to be an EDC light. I think it has been discontinued but I assume Fenix still supports them for warranty repair or replacement. I have an Olight that uses a AA or CR123 batteries and the CR123 is much better. They arent' too expensive either.

I knew I have gotten spoiled to having an EDC light but until I was without it a couple of days I didn't realize how often I use it. I consider an EDC light just as valuable as an EDC knife.

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Plenty of great questions there Jack :) . Ill comment more later when I have a computer screen to look at but I'm sure others will fill in the gaps.

In short, Ultrafire are considered lower quality Chinese lights. That doesn't mean one will be less than trust worthy)If you want a mid-range (to high) Solarforce is a much better company per dollar. They aren't as high quality as say Olight, Fenix and all those major brands. They have a single cr123 or AA clicky light available for about $16 that I would trust.

Rechargeable Li-ions can offer very impressive performance but do cost a bit to get a proper setup. The charger should at least be $25 and a quality 18650 shouldn't be had for like $5. It's not something I would avoid as a non-hobbyist, they just aren't as necessary these days with lights that can push 300+ lumens on a few AA's. A pack of Eneloops and a charger are much more set and forget not to mention flawlessly safe.

Of course, the main problem with an "EDC" 18650 light is size. It's 18mm in diameter but 65mm long (approximately) so the lights are often perfect sized for a coat pocket but not as much for your jeans. I carry one daily in my coat but prefer a single AAA or AA for sake of simplicity.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here is one of the lights I have my eyes on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161184885917?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This is an option that seems to be too good to be true in my experience. Two of the batteries when purchased seperately are between $15 and $24 depending on brand and/or quality. In my experience these opportunities are a 50/50 shot as satisfaction.

Thoughts from anyone with Ultrafire light experience?

Jack
JD Spydo

GO TO Flashlight stolen

Post by JD Spydo »

I more than feel your pain Brother. Because I had a Surefire L7 stolen from me recently and that was truly my "GO-TO" rechargable flashlight. I'll be working a lot of hours to replace that one unfortunately.

I have 2 of the Surefire E2D Defender LED models and I'm going to guard them with my life if necessary. There is just something about losing a valuable tool that truly hurts all the way down inside your gut. Hope it all works out for you. JD
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You really don't want that lot, Jack.

A quality charger (pref with digital voltage display) is a necessary investment. Pila, Xtar, Nitecore, Cottonpicker USB or even a hobby charger for example. An AW IMR is the cheapest performance/safe cell you can get, an 18650 is $10 opposed to the $20 protected ICR version. That's about $30 minimum for the cell/charger setup. Much cheaper and it's certainly too good to be true.

Cheap lights are fun. I got a Sipik zoomable for like $8 that was great. However, cheap cells won't perform, last, and might even vent with flame.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Blerv wrote:Plenty of great questions there Jack :) . Ill comment more later when I have a computer screen to look at but I'm sure others will fill in the gaps.

In short, Ultrafire are considered lower quality Chinese lights. That doesn't mean one will be less than trust worthy)If you want a mid-range (to high) Solarforce is a much better company per dollar. They aren't as high quality as say Olight, Fenix and all those major brands. They have a single cr123 or AA clicky light available for about $16 that I would trust.

Rechargeable Li-ions can offer very impressive performance but do cost a bit to get a proper setup. The charger should at least be $25 and a quality 18650 shouldn't be had for like $5. It's not something I would avoid as a non-hobbyist, they just aren't as necessary these days with lights that can push 300+ lumens on a few AA's. A pack of Eneloops and a charger are much more set and forget not to mention flawlessly safe.

Of course, the main problem with an "EDC" 18650 light is size. It's 18mm in diameter but 65mm long (approximately) so the lights are often perfect sized for a coat pocket but not as much for your jeans. I carry one daily in my coat but prefer a single AAA or AA for sake of simplicity.
Looked at Solarforce enough to have a question. When I see "flashlight body" or "flashlight host" what does that mean? I'm thinking a "body" may come without a bulb or switch or something. I do like the lights upon first look including the price. I'll probably go with one of those since you recommend them as a lower cost option. I hate "lower-cost" options because if it's an item I enjoy (llike tools) I usually end up getting the "regular-cost" ones later. :) Then the lower cost item doesn't get used and that is the wasted money. :( But then I can give the lower cost item to wife and say "I bought this for you". :D

I emailed an ebay seller about the "flashlight body" question but I might get a faster answer here. Also, the Hong-Kong sellers don't always understand the real question because of the language difference.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Blerv wrote:You really don't want that lot, Jack.

A quality charger (pref with digital voltage display) is a necessary investment. Pila, Xtar, Nitecore, Cottonpicker USB or even a hobby charger for example. An AW IMR is the cheapest performance/safe cell you can get, an 18650 is $10 opposed to the $20 protected ICR version. That's about $30 minimum for the cell/charger setup. Much cheaper and it's certainly too good to be true.

Cheap lights are fun. I got a Sipik zoomable for like $8 that was fun. However, cheap cells won't perform, last, and might even vent with flame.
You were supposed to say "WOW, that's a great deal with outstanding quality products". :) Of course what you did say is exactly what I expected. :) Another one I am watching costs $4.99 and no one has bidded yet. :) I'm not impulse buying so I will probably end up getting something that uses AAA or AA batteries. The Fenix LD41 seems to cover all my wants for a larger light. The only smart thing for me to do regarding a backup EDC light is to get another Fenix LD01. That is just a perfect light for me. No frills, just light. The only time I get stranded and might need strobe or SOS is when I'm stranded in the bathroom with no TP. :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Anybody ever used this Fenix E15? I already have CR123 batteries and they aren't too expensive. Getting a charger and rechargable batteries doesn't sound wise when I only have one or two lights that use one each (If I got this one). I'd like to know how much brighter it is than the brightest setting on the Fenix LD01.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181441758057?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I've seen it advertised as 180 and 140 lumens. Is one the OTF rating or is one just wrong?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Re: Solarforce

The L-line are hosts that take drop-in engines. I was thinking their T2, Z1 and Z2 lights.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have an LD01 that was my EDC, then I got a PD22 which is my EDC right now. It is lots bigger than the LD01 because the LD01 is so tiny, but it isn't all that big and it puts out a lot of light. I have a PD32 also and there isn't that much difference lin the light output. I was thinking about a single AA light when I picked the PD22 since it wasn't much larger diameter than the single AA lights.

I bought my daughter an E05 which is a pretty good light for a single AAA and not very expensive. I would suggest one of those if you are looking to spend less money.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'll second the recommendation for the Fenix E05. Great little keychain-sized light that is surprisingly bright for its size. Very affordable too.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

PD22 is a great light.

I'd also recommend Peak lights. Either and Eiger AAA (with 10440 Li-ion) or Logan CR123 or 16340)

Also EagleTac D25C mini. The regular D25C has the tail cap UI you don't like but the mini is a twisty.

Blake is spot on, stay away from the cheap junk, regardless of price. ;)

Ken
玉鋼
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

jackknifeh wrote:Anybody ever used this Fenix E15? I already have CR123 batteries and they aren't too expensive. Getting a charger and rechargable batteries doesn't sound wise when I only have one or two lights that use one each (If I got this one). I'd like to know how much brighter it is than the brightest setting on the Fenix LD01.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181441758057?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I've seen it advertised as 180 and 140 lumens. Is one the OTF rating or is one just wrong?
I've got an E15, it is my keychain light. It goes with me everywhere. I have used it a fair amount, but not a lot all at once....so I might use it for 2 or 3 minutes, but not many 10+ minute uses. Except once when the power went out I used it to read by for a good half hour.

It is a great little light. Handy, lots of light for something so tiny. Its a bit more floody which for me is what I wanted. Battery life is good too. Easy one hand twist action.

I think that the lumen change is due to an upgrade in the LED...could be wrong, I havent looked.
On the hunt for...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:
Also EagleTac D25C mini. The regular D25C has the tail cap UI you don't like but the mini is a twisty.

Ken
This really looks like a great light. The Fenix E05 looks good also. That would be a good replacement if I lost my LD01 again but no more than that. The Fenix E15 and the D25C mini would also be nice replacements but also are a step up in brightness. Especially the Eagletac. I may end up with that one.

I've almost decided not to get a Fenix LD41 (around $60) or anything bigger. Not once in years have I needed a light much brighter than the AA and AAA lights I've tried. About 3 years ago I found out how much the flashlights have improved in the past 20 years or so. Seems like I used to need a huge light with 3 D cell batteries (or more) to give the light a couple of AA batteries and the LED's provide now. Wonder which EDC oil lamp Ben Franklin carried? :)

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote: About 3 years ago I found out how much the flashlights have improved in the past 20 years or so. Seems like I used to need a huge light with 3 D cell batteries (or more) to give the light a couple of AA batteries and the LED's provide now.
That's so true. We're to the point now where 99% of flashlight use is easily covered by current CR123 offerings and high end AAA (10440) lights like Peak Eiger Ultra X are really pushing the envelope! All of those are brighter than 3xD Maglights...

Ken
玉鋼
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:That's so true. We're to the point now where 99% of flashlight use is easily covered by current CR123 offerings and high end AAA (10440) lights like Peak Eiger Ultra X are really pushing the envelope! All of those are brighter than 3xD Maglights...

Ken

I have a Maglight light that uses 3 D batteries. A red one. Maybe I can sell it on ebay as an antique. :) Maybe if I put a $500 price tag on it someone will think it's special and buy it quick before someone else scoops up the deal. :D There are probably young people out there who have never seen one.

I would offer it here but there is no selling here. :) Sorry guys. :D

About 5 or 6 years ago I upgraded my mini-maglight with a Nite-Ize 1w LED and smart switch (3 brightnesses and a couple of blinkers :) ). Thought I had something then. :) Truth be told it still puts out perfectly good light. Wife uses it at her computer desk.

Jack
Ned

Post by Ned »

I just bought 2 Olight i3s for my wife and I, got a pretty good deal on them, they seem to be good quality and have all of the options that I was looking for in a small EDC light.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I remembered a light on a youtube video by a girl who reviewed a few Spyderco's also. It was a Titanium Innovations AAA light. She bought the titanium body light but I'm looking at the less expensive one. Looks perfect for me. Very similar to the LD01. A little brighter I think at 130 lumens. I like the keychain thing that comes with it. I don't think I would use it but it would go in a box I keep stuff like that in. :)

http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium ... xp-g2.html

Looks like a good little light.

Jack

PS
Just watched the video on the above light. It does look like the brightest setting is really bright. Brighter than my LD01. Have another possibility. :)

Here's the link to the video.
https://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-google ... knHn_YAY7Q
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Titanium Innovations is (or was) a variant of the Maratac and Olight model. It's similar to the Olight i3s which I highly recommend to anyone. It's my go-to random gift for family along with the Foursevens MiNi 123.

Another consideration might be a USB charged light. Nitecore and Klarus have a bunch, Foursevens and Fenix do now as well. They are available in li-ion on ni-mh cells for a variety of sizes and output levels.

Alkalines leak and offer subpar performance. Lithium primaries are costly. Something like that might give you the best of both worlds.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'm pretty sure the next light I get will be one of these.

Fenis E15 or EagleTac D25C mini.

Probably the EagleTac. On turbo it puts out 325 lumens. I think that equals 209 OTF lumens. That is stated on the EagleTac site if I understand it correctly. Buying one of these two lights will give me brighter lights than I now get with the Fenix LD01. And still in an acceptable EDC size.

When I didn't know if I was going to find my Fenix LD01 I started looking on-line. If I hadn't found it I would buy an Olight i3s. It is much like the LD01 and is quite a bit less expensive. But, since I found my light I'm not in a lightless panic any more. And I don't need to replace what was lost. Therefore I can go ahead and get something that while capable of replacing the LD01 it would also be more better. :) Brighter I mean. The EagleTac is really bright for an EDC size and it has a clip that I can use or not use.

Thanks for the help with my search. Without input from people who have used different types of lights I would have had to spend much more time searching the net. Still, I may not have seen examples of lights I liked.

Then again, before I buy one I see another one or two that will confuse me even more. :)

Jack