Stainless Steel must haves

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DutchBlades

Stainless Steel must haves

Post by DutchBlades »

I've grown to like stainless steel models more and more over time. What are some must have models in your opinion? Looking for 2-3 to enlarge my current stainless collection :)

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DutchBlades wrote:I've grown to like stainless steel models more and more over time. What are some must have models in your opinion? Looking for 2-3 to enlarge my current stainless collection :)
There are a few models I would like to recommend and some of them are very hard to find. One of my all time favorite Spyders ever was the stainless handled RESCUE models C-45 & C-14. The older GIN-1 Mariner model is truly a classic. Don't forget that the Caly Jr model was at one time available with a stainless handle and an AUS-8 blade in PE & SE.

The stainless handled Harpy is a super classic as well as the stainless handled Rookie model. Again some of them are getting really tough to find. But that Caly and Rescue models would be a huge booster to your growing collection.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

JD Spydo wrote:There are a few models I would like to recommend and some of them are very hard to find. One of my all time favorite Spyders ever was the stainless handled RESCUE models C-45 & C-14. The older GIN-1 Mariner model is truly a classic. Don't forget that the Caly Jr model was at one time available with a stainless handle and an AUS-8 blade in PE & SE.

The stainless handled Harpy is a super classic as well as the stainless handled Rookie model. Again some of them are getting really tough to find. But that Caly and Rescue models would be a huge booster to your growing collection.
The Harpy slipped from my hands in an auction before :( Really want it in my collection... I'll have to look that Caly up aswell :D

Great suggestions, thanks :)
Still want the original Worker in there... That's gonna be a long shot...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

As JD said, you need a Caly Jr. as well as a Volpe and SS Stretch w/ Kraton insert. These 3 and maybe a Stainless Police to round out your lineup!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

xceptnl wrote:As JD said, you need a Caly Jr. as well as a Volpe and SS Stretch w/ Kraton insert. These 3 and maybe a Stainless Police to round out your lineup!
I have my eye on a Police that's for sale right now.
€70, might have to think about buying that one...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

v8r

Post by v8r »

I can think of a few.....ATR, Adventura, SS Poliwog, Scorpius, SS Jester, Mariner, SS Rookie
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
JD Spydo

Hidden Stainless Classics

Post by JD Spydo »

The interesting thing about the stainless Caly Jr. Model is that it is the only Caly jr that is hollow ground that I know of unless one slipped by me.

The stainless handled Rescue models C-14 & C-45 are probably the most rigid Spyders ever made. They are literally made like an Abram's TAnk. I believe you could drop one of them out of an airplane with very little damage ( if any at all). They are 2 superb models out of the ATS-55 era. The stainless handled Rescue is probably the most overlooked and under-appreciated collectible Spyder ever made. Every person I know that owns one says they would never trade or sell it. As good as the stainless handled Mariner was the stainless Rescue literally dwarfs that model.

The models that Donut spoke of are both premium models as well. Many of the original early 90s models were all stainless handled at one point. There are so many of the stainless handled Police models that is a major collection in and of itself>> there is even one titanium Police model that is quite coveted among collectors.

There are also some of the little Spyders that were made in stainless handles like the Ladybug, Cricket and I believe that there was a small run of either the Kiwi or Kopa model in stainless.

My very first Spyder that I ever owned was the STainless Spyderedged Mariner and I still love that knife. A good friend of mine just the other day showed me an AUS-6 stainless handled Endura model and I had just about forgot about that one.
jumbo

Post by jumbo »

Kiwi kiwi kiwi kiwi kiwi kiwi kiwi!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:The interesting thing about the stainless Caly Jr. Model is that it is the only Caly jr that is hollow ground that I know of unless one slipped by me.
It is the only hollow ground Caly model JD. I picked mine up second hand and the original owner actually convexed the front side (bug side) of the blade and the back side is still hollow. It is like a little japanese kitchen knife with an "ura"
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:It is the only hollow ground Caly model JD. I picked mine up second hand and the original owner actually convexed the front side (bug side) of the blade and the back side is still hollow. It is like a little japanese kitchen knife with an "ura"
That stainless Caly Jr. in full Spyderedge is a little mega-beast of a cutter. I traded both of mine away and wish I still had the SE version.

OH!! Have we forgot about the original stainless handled C-01 WORKER model??!! I truly wish it would come back with ZDP-189 blade steel. They made the Worker all the way to the ATS-55 era.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Forgot about the Native 2 SS. Get a plain edge if you can find it ;) one of the classiest Spyderco knives of all time.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Jax

Post by Jax »

How about a stainless native?
+1 on the stainless police,Harpy,and Mariner.
No stainless collection should be without those...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Over the years there have been lots of all stainless Spydercos. Everyone's idea of "must haves" will be different, but here's mine:
  • Worker - Their first knife
  • Mariner - Their first serrated blade
  • Standard - "Father" of the Police, Delica, Endura, Rookie, and Ladybug
  • Police - Arguably their most iconic folder. And besides, any knife that can stay in production for 30 years with only relatively minor changes has to be good.
  • Harpy - The whole "bowels in or out?" thing
  • Kiwi 2 - Because I'm a Kiwi fanatic :o Plus, it's a neat little knife :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Some of mine...

Actually Ti, but still all-metal:

Poliwog:

C05 Economy:

2002 Dive Tool/Probe Small:

Tuffram/aluminum Police:

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For the benefit of those who have never seen the all stainless versions of the C14 and C45 here they are, along with a PE Mariner:

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:For the benefit of those who have never seen the all stainless versions of the C14 and C45 here they are, along with a PE Mariner:
For the life of me I never understood why the C-14 & C-45 STainless Rescue models just never got any significant praise at all. It's as though they fell through the cracks by default or something strange distracted everyone during their brief tenure.

I guess in all fairness during the late 90s when they were in the main line up there were a lot of super Spyderco models getting a lot of attention at the time. But as well constructed, beefy and rigid as they were I still can't completely understand why they just never got well known. I've talked to several collectors that never even knew they existed. And for a long time you could buy them on that one Japanese website as well as the plain edged Harpy. It's truly one of Spyderco's biggest mysteries to me.

They were kind of like a beefed up, super version of the Mariner which was in and of itself and great folder.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Some pictures to help you compare.

*Landon*
paladin

Post by paladin »

Lava
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
JD Spydo

Spur & Progrip

Post by JD Spydo »

There are 2 more stainless handled models that I used to own and still wish I did. One of them is super rare and I haven't seen one since I traded mine over 5 years ago. The SPUR model along with it's big brother the PROGRIP were both very useful and very nicely designed blades. I don't even know any of my collector friends that have a SPUR model and I don't even think they have been made since 97 or 98 or thereabout.

But the SPUR and the PROGRIP both had kraton inlays which gave them a lot more grip than most stainless models. But both blade styles were similar and both of them I had were combo edges>> although I had seen both models in full PE. Those 2 models are going to be a very tough find I can assure you. But if you want to amass an exhaustive collection of stainless handled Spyders then these 2 are well worth looking for.

Also if you're extremely lucky a "2 screw" WORKER model is probably about the most Holy Grail of any of the stainless handled knives to collect.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I really like the SS Police and Crossbill.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience