Why Bento Box Shop?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
griff443

Why Bento Box Shop?

Post by griff443 »

In case you are unaware, Bento Box Shop, who funded the exclusive run of Elmax PM2s, is only offering the PM2s in a bundle with dark blue Lil' Matriarchs, for $300 total. Their Lil' Matriarchs are priced at $100 singly, and apparently didn't sell well for that price (not a surprise, considering it's a small knife with VG10 and FRN scales), so they're requiring customers who want the PM2 to purchase it as well. I know I'm not the only one who finds this incredibly annoying, and I for one will not be dropping that kind of money only to help them get their unsellable products off their hands.

I know they are fronting the money for these runs, and its their own business how they price their products and conduct sales, but I am wondering why Spyderco would ever want to be associated with such a company, who almost without fail leaves a bad taste in most Spyderco fans mouths. I don't remember ever encountering a worse knife retailer.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I am a huge fan of the free market, and see no issue with this as everything in this situation was voluntary. However, I also wonder why Spyderco would continue to do exclusives for Bento Box Shop. They have proven time and time again that they aren't in it just for the money, and that they have our interests at heart as well.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Yeah seriously, BBS is trash. They proved it once again. Flame me all you want but I'm just a messenger and Im calling what I see. Trash.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Holland

Post by Holland »

I hate BBS as well and they won't be getting any of my business anytime soon
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is what it is. Spyderco sets MSRP and I believe both knives are selling at this msrp. Spyderco has integrity and BBS does not. Why they stay associated I do not know. What I do know is that Sal and company always try to take the high road and leave shiny footprints. Sal will probably be chiming in soon enough.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Strong-Dog wrote:I am a huge fan of the free market, and see no issue with this as everything in this situation was voluntary. However, I also wonder why Spyderco would continue to do exclusives for Bento Box Shop. They have proven time and time again that they aren't in it just for the money, and that they have our interests at heart as well.
FCM415 wrote:Yeah seriously, BBS is trash. They proved it once again. Flame me all you want but I'm just a messenger and Im calling what I see. Trash.
I have tried to contribute to balanced discussions about BBS in the past, but at this point I have given up. It's a free country and a free market, but...
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

like bearfacedkiller said, it is what it is. bento buys these knives from spyderco at dealer cost and what ever they decide to do then is out of spyderco's hands. only way i can see spyderco stepping in is if bento starts selling over msrp. they can do what they will otherwise. sure, they can tell bento no more exclusives but from what i understand these exclusives are paid way in advance so then spyderco will be out money. to me, i want this elmax pm2 and then will probably sell my production one to help cover the costs. plus i like the lil matriarch and was going to purchase one eventually. i think that if you want the elmax then buy it now. because its in a bundle and you are paying more upfront for it, i believe the secondary market price is going to skyrocket for this one. just my .02 and reasoning for purchasing the bundle.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It is what it is. Spyderco sets MSRP and I believe both knives are selling at this msrp. Spyderco has integrity and BBS does not. Why they stay associated I do not know. What I do know is that Sal and company always try to take the high road and leave shiny footprints. Sal will probably be chiming in soon enough.
Exactly. Spyderco can't, and would have absolutely no reason to, tell a dealer they cannot sell a knife at the price Spyderco has set as its MSRP. The fact that 99% of Spyderco dealers with an internet presence discount them does not mean the other 1% are doing anything unethiical. If a dealer decides to only sell a particular knife as part of a set with another one, that's not really any of Spyderco's business either. Let's face it, Spyderco is in business to make money. If someone comes along and offers to pay in advance for 600 knives, do you seriously expect them to turn that business away?

None of the above means you have to like the way BBS does business, and certainly does not mean you have to patronize them. I've never bought anything from them and don't expect that to change. All it means is that you either have to do without certain knives, or figure out how to do an end run around BBS's pricing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

They hit a new low with this bundling, but besides that and the absurd pricing on exclusives let me remind you:

BBS has a no return policy. Not only can you not return it due to buyer's remorse, if the knife actually has a warranty problem, sucks for you... You have to go directly through Spyderco. I cannot support an online business that doesnt SUPPORT their customers and back up their products that they sell. Retailers large and small, online or not all have a fair return policy, even Ebay sellers lmao.

They have a policy that once they ship it, their end of the deal is done and it's on YOU to purchase INSURANCE on top of their shipping charge to ensure that it is covered in case the knife gets lost during shipping. This is ridiculous and may even be illegal.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Donut

Post by Donut »

We should start a BBS name calling thread to separate all of that from this thread. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I am not a fan. Yes they can run things how they like, no arguments there. But I won't buy from them...I think that the only way they stay in business is to do these Exclusives and keep the prices at msrp. If it wasn't for them, I think that BBS would be gone.
On the hunt for...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:...I think that the only way they stay in business is to do these Exclusives and keep the prices at msrp. If it wasn't for them, I think that BBS would be gone.
I agree this is the only thing they have going for them.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:But I won't buy from them...I think that the only way they stay in business is to do these Exclusives and keep the prices at msrp. If it wasn't for them, I think that BBS would be gone.
Yes, I believe as well that BBS is keen on getting exclsuives because its the only way they stay in business.

Look at their prices on knives like the disco'd Aqua Salt...$249!!!!!!!!! Twice as much as the secondary market on Ebay!
-Leonard Nimoy
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

I hope Sal chimes in soon about this situation.

Spyderco requires knives to be sold at no more than MSRP. If you only want the PM2, it's $300. That's over MSRP! You shouldn't be forced into a bundle. This is the first bundle I have every seen in an attempt to buy a Spyderco knife.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

In the spirit of BBS, Spyderco should BUNDLE all these threads together.
-Leonard Nimoy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

FCM415 wrote:In the spirit of BBS, Spyderco should BUNDLE all these threads together.
LMAO... so true
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

BBS can do what they want. You get to choose to buy or not. Seems fair enough. Para 2 exclusives are not essential purchases, so spend your discretionary funds or not, as you choose.
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's why this company can go fly a kite (that's my censored response).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paladin

Post by paladin »

gbelleh wrote:BBS can do what they want. You get to choose to buy or not. Seems fair enough. Para 2 exclusives are not essential purchases, so spend your discretionary funds or not, as you choose.
+1 this...

vote with your dollars...

On the positive side the Lil Matriarch is a great knife (if you need/want it)...
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyder-fan wrote:I hope Sal chimes in soon about this situation.

Spyderco requires knives to be sold at no more than MSRP. If you only want the PM2, it's $300. That's over MSRP! You shouldn't be forced into a bundle. This is the first bundle I have every seen in an attempt to buy a Spyderco knife.
Do you know for a fact that Spyderco makes such a requirement? I'm thinking the "S" in MSRP stands for SUGGESTED. Beyond that, the $300 is for the bundle, not just the PM2. They get $100 for the LM, which is actually about $25 below the MSRP for the production version, so they're charging you $200 for the PM2 which I'm guessing, based on the MSRP's of some of the G-10 PM2 Sprints, is a bit below what would be a reasonable one for it. Not to mention that you have no real way of knowing what Spyderco has set as the MSRP of any Exclusive. Don't want to pay their price for the bundle? Nobody's holding a gun to your head, exercise some self control and pass on it. Don't want the LM but don't have enough self control to pass on the PM2? Buy both and feel free to sell the LM.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!