Spyderco auto warranty service

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Popsickle

Spyderco auto warranty service

Post by Popsickle »

so the autonomy has caught my eye, and autos are legal in my area.... if it ever needed to go in for a service would spyderco work on the knife or do they hold firm to LEO/Fire/EMT or military?

not comparing the companies but I emailed protech about their warranty work on autos stating that they are legal here and they said "if its a protech, we will service it if needed". Really made me feel good that if I did indeed buy an auto that I could send it in if god forbid something broke :P
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

AFAIK, unless you live in California, Protech could have gotten in trouble with the Feds for returning the knife directly to you. Given Spyderco's past issues with ICE, I seriously doubt they would expose themselves to that risk. In fact, I'm fairly certain they won't even send parts for an auto directly to you unless you are in law enforcement or the military. The normal drill for getting a privately owned auto repaired by its manufacturer, assuming that doing so requires the knife to cross state lines, is to have a dealer return it and receive it after it is repaired.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Popsickle wrote:so the autonomy has caught my eye, and autos are legal in my area.... if it ever needed to go in for a service would spyderco work on the knife or do they hold firm to LEO/Fire/EMT or military?

not comparing the companies but I emailed protech about their warranty work on autos stating that they are legal here and they said "if its a protech, we will service it if needed". Really made me feel good that if I did indeed buy an auto that I could send it in if god forbid something broke :P
I have often wondered this myself. I have a BM Auto that has been without a tip for years because I couldn't send it in for a blade replacement.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

xceptnl wrote:I have often wondered this myself. I have a BM Auto that has been without a tip for years because I couldn't send it in for a blade replacement.
Heck, Microtech wouldn't even sell me a spare clip or "glass breaker" clip screw for my Ultratech.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:Heck, Microtech wouldn't even sell me a spare clip or "glass breaker" clip screw for my Ultratech.
That is ridiculous. I reground the tip of my 3500 to look like a Graham Razel now. It still cuts and the spring still fires hard. I am kinda glad I sold all my Microtechs. The side folders were the only ones I truly loved anyway. I found the OTFs to be fun, but the joy in use was much less that that of the presentation.

(5K posts mile marker)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
feathers73

Post by feathers73 »

I think your best bet is to ship the knife back through an authorized dealer.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

just to update this I did buy the protech, and I also thought about a microtech but I didn't buy it..... they also told me that as long as Autos are legal in my area they will ship it back to me if I send it in.

still waiting for someone from spyderco to address this here :)
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Popsickle,
We are bound by federal laws as well as Colorado State laws (which mirror federal). If a restricted item is sent in to us for any reason we can only return it to someone meeting the federal laws. Shipment requires crossing state lines so regardless of Colorado laws we are bound to federal. There is a restricted item return form that should be in the box of every restricted model that requires a signature that federal laws are being met. That form can also be downloaded from our site; you'll find it at the bottom of the OpFocus page.

For future reference in terms of a reply... please keep in mind that for the few of us here that participate on the forum our participation is in addition to our "day" job here at Spyderco. We cannot read every post / thread that is here. You're best bet for an efficient and direct answer for a question like this would have been an e-mail or phone call to our W&R department.

Thanks.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Obama320

Re: Spyderco auto warranty service

Post by Obama320 »

SPAM... EDITED (TK)
watson
yablanowitz

Re: Spyderco auto warranty service

Post by yablanowitz »

Welcome to the forum.

Your question was answered in the post before it.