Does Sal/Spyderco get credit for all hole-openers in the blades of knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Does Sal/Spyderco get credit for all hole-openers in the blades of knives?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was looking at different folding knives with holes in the blades to assist opening, and some of them are not perfectly round. I was wondering: I want Sal and Spyderco to get the credit for that. Do these other companies get around patent issues by elongating and changing the shape of the hole, and other things? Sal: As far as I am concerned, you are the originator, even of the ones who change the hole shape, and you get the credit. Thank you.
Donut

Post by Donut »

From what I hear, the circle hole is a Trademark, not a patent.

If a company can prove or just say that a different shaped hole is better or has an advantage, then there is nothing to stop them from using it without giving credit.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The patent expired years ago. Both the round hole and the Byrd comet hole are registered trademarks of Spyderco, Inc. There are no trademark cops, only lawyers who get paid whether they win or lose, making them the only sure winners in trademark enforcement.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

yablanowitz wrote:The patent expired years ago. Both the round hole and the Byrd comet hole are registered trademarks of Spyderco, Inc. There are no trademark cops, only lawyers who get paid whether they win or lose, making them the only sure winners in trademark enforcement.
Exactly. Originally, Spyderco had a patent on any opening mechanism that was a removal of material from the blade. If you look at the original Spyderco C27 Jess Horn, it featured an opening "divot" that did not go all the way through the blade and was not a perfect circle. All opening holes, regardless of shape, were covered under this patent. The Gerber EZ Out, for example, was produced under license from Spyderco when the patent was still in effect. US Patents are only granted for 17 years (I believe that is the correct timeframe). Because Spyderco had always used a perfectly round opening hole except for that Jess Horn, when the patent expired on the opening hole (or divot more accurately) they applied for and were awarded a trademark on only the perfectly round hole as it carried a strong association to their brand. As yablanowitz pointed out, there is no one to monitor trademark infringement other than the trademark holders and their lawyers, so the trademark hasn't stopped some unscrupulous makers from using a round opening hole anyway; however, they shouldn't be doing so in the same way that other soda manufacturers should not be using the curved shape of bottle that Coca-Cola uses (also a trademarked shape).
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, since he invented it, he definitely deserves, and gets all the credit in my eyes.
- best wishes, Jazz.
suedeface

Post by suedeface »

Don't forget Sal was the first to use a pocket clip and serrations on a pocket knife as well.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

So my SE Pacific Salt has all three of those innovations, the hole, the clip, and serrations on a folder :D

Sal is the man.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you all for your keen understanding of history and your desire to give credit where credit is due. Back in high school in the 1970's, I carried a Gerber FSII with a "Flicket" attachment on it that chewed holes in my back pocket. Why? Because Sal hadn't yet revolutionized the folding knife and literally defined the form of the modern folder.

It's unfortunate that so few people understand the history of the tools they carry and take features like the blade hole and pocket clip for granted. Kudos to all of you for being more insightful and respectful than that. We truly appreciate it!

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts