Leaning toward delica super blue EDC...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ero2

Leaning toward delica super blue EDC...

Post by ero2 »

Long story short I gave my wife my EDC, so I can buy a new one :) . Looking at the delica 4 super blue, trying to stay under 100 bucks, any other recommendations? Haven't bought in a while and there are a LOT of choices. Any and all help much appreciated!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Hi ero2,

Delica is a great knife Super blue or otherwise. I would vote (as I often do) for a Manix 2 in that price range I don't think anything can touch it, Spyderco just came out with a Full Flat Grind version of it, so your timing is great.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Delica is always a good choice in my book. I picked up one in Super Blue and am impressed. Like everyone says it really takes an edge and holds it well. I say go for it.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Get a Carly 3.5 even if you have to spend a few more dollars .
Loansharkx

Post by Loansharkx »

So what's all the buzz and hoopla over the super blue blades?

What makes that so desireable?
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Loansharkx wrote:So what's all the buzz and hoopla over the super blue blades?

What makes that so desireable?
From what I understand it is because the steel is very fine grained without having large carbides at the edge apex which allows it to take a very sharp edge (at stable low edge geometries) and it also holds it for a reasonable length of time. I think it is because the Tungsten forms smaller carbides than some of the other stainless alloy carbides and from what I've read it is the carbides that would pin the steel matrix together and prevent the size of the grain from growing larger - which to my layperson's understanding (hope I'm right) means that smaller carbides will also mean a finer grained steel matrix. A steel expert with a greater knowledge should correct me if I'm wrong in this understanding since I wouldn't want to carry an incorrect understanding forward as part of my own body of accumulated knowledge. I haven't sharpened my SB Stretch yet but it is supposedly very easy to sharpen again to a very sharp edge as well.

Some people also like the patina of a solid blade and some like the contrast that the SB patina on the edge only provides on a laminated blade. I can't remember how hard the steel is run at or whether it is more prone to chipping or rolling when it takes edge damage - but I would have to guess probably rolling rather than chipping in the absence of larger carbides along the edge that might be more prone to tearing out at a lower dps blade geometry. You'd have to get a real steel expert to weigh in for more info on the steel characteristics and how it compares to others for comparative edge retention and edge failure.

I do like the extremely sharp edge that it came with as well as the contrast of the SB laminate but some people don't like the laminating steel because it is a soft stainless and scratches much more easily than harder stainless steel alloys. I've only used mine on soft foods and haven't had that problem yet but I think I remember reading somewhere that someone claimed they had scratched theirs by cutting through salami or sausage - perhaps maybe by hitting some very fine ground up bone that may have been present and perhaps slid up the face of the blade when making the cut is what I would guess.

If I've made any errors in my understanding of this steel as I've posted then please let me know.

Here is a link to a conversation thread where it seems like everybody is in agreement with respect to the sharpness of an edge SB can obtain easily........
chuck_roxas45 wrote:I love the edge my SB Caly takes. If I had a short time limit on sharpening each knife I had, the SB Caly would the sharpest. :D
and also some more info from a known steel guru where the Delica SB is actually the topic of conversation

http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/forum/read.php?6,20163

and some more on another forum thread regarding lower edge geometries for SB steel, I've only posted a fraction of this particular response just to provide the link....but if you click on the link you can follow the thread for more info......
Cliff Stamp wrote:Yes, all the normal work, food, rope, wood, plastics, scoring drywall, etc. .

In order to make it fail on that type of work the edge angle has to be in the range of 3-5 dps. In this range you can over load the micro-bevel and snap it right off on harder woods or rougher cardboard. If you drop down to 2-3 dps it becomes fairly delicate and only soft woods and similar can be used. In the 6-8 range it is very durable as in you can cut plywood and similar with it and the micro-bevel is perfectly stable.

In regards to the micro-bevel I am talking true micro-bevel meaning you can't see it and it is just the final apex finishing which is done with 5-10 passes on a stone. There is no need for your final apex bevel to be wider than this because you always want this to be the failure point not the edge bevel itself.
There's lots more out there if you Google and also depends on what level of knowledge you want to obtain. I know that it gets extremely sharp and gets there easily when sharpened and also holds an edge for a reasonably long time but haven't done a search on comparative edge holding wrt to other steel alloys......maybe another evenings study :o
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

I've been buying, selling, collecting spydies for a few years now. Super Blue Delica is my current favorite because it's so sharp, so easy to sharpen, and just the right size. Throw a deep carry clip on there, and you've got some magic!

Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3
Ovalprocess

Post by Ovalprocess »

Is the Delica 4 super blue still for sale anywhere? It is sold out everywhere I've looked.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Ovalprocess wrote:Is the Delica 4 super blue still for sale anywhere? It is sold out everywhere I've looked.
Good luck finding one cheap- bentoboxshop still has them for around $100.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Ovalprocess wrote:Is the Delica 4 super blue still for sale anywhere? It is sold out everywhere I've looked.
They're out there, you just have to look. I bought one from a dealer a couple of weeks ago for $80.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would definitely recommend it! amazing knife, super thin and cuts like a beast!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Shakyamuni wrote:I've been buying, selling, collecting spydies for a few years now. Super Blue Delica is my current favorite because it's so sharp, so easy to sharpen, and just the right size. Throw a deep carry clip on there, and you've got some magic!
Nice clip.....it looks like one of those Casey clips I've heard so many glowing reviews about.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Great Knife with a Full Flat Grind and with Super Blue that is even better, very sharp nice resistant edge, nice patina on it medium size EDC. But it came out last year and it might be hard to find right now but you might get lucky. Start searching right now if not the ZDP189 is also a good knife.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE