Which one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which blade?

Temperance 2
50%
Schempp Rock
50%

Total votes: 34

Knivesinedc

Which one?

Post by Knivesinedc »

What fixed blade spydie should I get for hiking/Camping/ backpacking? ive narrowed it down to 2 blades. The Temperance 2 and the Schempp rock. I love to hear your opinions and any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have a budget of around $200. I probably also won't get the blade till later in the year when i actually start to go doing all those things.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I'd go Temperance, but that's me.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
nccole

Post by nccole »

I said Schemp Rock. It is a bit bigger, and more apt to swinging at and de-limbing or possibly splitting smaller stuff. It is also described as a "camp" knife. The Temp 2 has always seemed more of a kitchen knife with pretty scales, and not a potential beater like the FRN wearing Rock. Plus the Rock is cheaper.
Donut

Post by Donut »

What do you plan on using it for while camping?

I say the Rock would be better at chopping, but the Temp would be better at everything else.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Donut wrote:What do you plan on using it for while camping?

I say the Rock would be better at chopping, but the Temp would be better at everything else.
Mostly wood processing and delimbing maybe some bivouac. I use my endura or my CRKT drifter for food prep and my endura or dragonfly for fishing.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I don't see why you consider temperance anything close to a kitchen knife. At 4mm thick, I guess it's pretty strong but I'd only avoid too much twisting since blade shape suggest being thin being the edge.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Have you considered the Serrata?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

nccole wrote:I said Schemp Rock. It is a bit bigger, and more apt to swinging at and de-limbing or possibly splitting smaller stuff. It is also described as a "camp" knife. The Temp 2 has always seemed more of a kitchen knife with pretty scales, and not a potential beater like the FRN wearing Rock. Plus the Rock is cheaper.
I agree with a choice of Schempp Rock for camping duty, but Temperance2 has nothing to do with a kitchen knife. Just too thick and too short. Also IIRC Sal commented that he designed original Temperance as a defense knife against mountain lions. There are quite a few of them in Colorado around Golden. Temperance2 is upgrade: a little longer blade, stronger construction, nicer and gripier handle.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I voted for the Temp2 based on your original post and geographic location. Now that I have read through the responses and your reply, the Schempp Rock would get my vote for your next buy.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ned

Post by Ned »

nccole wrote:I said Schemp Rock. It is a bit bigger, and more apt to swinging at and de-limbing or possibly splitting smaller stuff. It is also described as a "camp" knife. The Temp 2 has always seemed more of a kitchen knife with pretty scales, and not a potential beater like the FRN wearing Rock. Plus the Rock is cheaper.
+1
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

Have you considered a Spyderco Serrata ?
mark jeneson

Post by mark jeneson »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Have you considered the Serrata?
yep!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Knivesinedc wrote:Mostly wood processing and delimbing maybe some bivouac. I use my endura or my CRKT drifter for food prep and my endura or dragonfly for fishing.
For those uses, I'd go with the Schempp Rock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I voted for the Schempp Rock based on your requirements. If you have the tools and experience to keep that recurve blade sharp then I think you will be a happy man :)
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

I've handled a Rock, and while it was great for fast Kali drills, it didn't have the mass, or the tough steel, that I believe a big knife needs for chopping. I wouldn't want to find out how an expensive knife with a thin edge made from VG10 reacts after coming into high speed contact with a hard knot, nail or staple inside of a piece of wood, etc.

Since neither would be a good chopper, I would go with the Temperence for woods use. I can't think of anything I could do with the Rock, that I could not do with the T2, besides take up more space on my belt or strapped to my pack.

The Rock would be my first choice if I had some giant slabs of meat to cut through.
nccole

Post by nccole »

MatthewSB wrote:I've handled a Rock, and while it was great for fast Kali drills, it didn't have the mass, or the tough steel, that I believe a big knife needs for chopping. I wouldn't want to find out how an expensive knife with a thin edge made from VG10 reacts after coming into high speed contact with a hard knot, nail or staple inside of a piece of wood, etc.

Since neither would be a good chopper, I would go with the Temperence for woods use. I can't think of anything I could do with the Rock, that I could not do with the T2, besides take up more space on my belt or strapped to my pack.

The Rock would be my first choice if I had some giant slabs of meat to cut through.
They are both VG-10, and VG-10 has shown to be surprisingly tough in my experience. I wouldn't hesitate taking the Rock and hacking away with it. Also, Ed is a very clever designer, so I also don't discount his design methods, even when they look funny.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

First off, I do not own any of the two you questioned ...yet, but have handled them a few times. Considering you said camping and backpacking I would consider the weight first, but the 3 oz difference is probably negligible. For wood processing and similar work, the additional blade length and shape of the Schempp Rock would be the best choice. I personally would choose it first, followed by the Serrata and Temp 2 in that order.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

nccole wrote:They are both VG-10, and VG-10 has shown to be surprisingly tough in my experience. I wouldn't hesitate taking the Rock and hacking away with it. Also, Ed is a very clever designer, so I also don't discount his design methods, even when they look funny.
I agree, Fallkniven also use VG-10 steel in their top selling knives and they are some of the most popular on the market for bushcrafting.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

My preference here would be the Serrata, by far.
:D But my vote in the poll was for the Schempp Rock, since it better fits the bill for the intended use.
Stay Sharp!