How do you feel about backups?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

How do you feel about backups?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm thinking about picking up a backup for one of my sprints. I own a few models that are the same but are different colour, steel etc..so I've never bought a duplicate of a knife I already own. I feel a small amount of guilt buying a second one as it isn't going to be cheap and there are plenty of other knives out there that I want to/must buy.

So do own backups of anything? What is your reasoning behind it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
LC Kid

Just If I Like It Very Much

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Cobra!

My policy is simple: when I really like a knife I always get a couple. One for the pocket and One for Backup.
:D

That said, I don't buy anything twice. Just those that I really like can actually make it to my exclusive 'One & Backup' club.
:cool:
Stay Sharp!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The only identical knives I have are 2 C22 carbon fiber Michael Walkers. They were discoed and it is a brilliant knife. One is a user, the other is a spare at the moment. The other ones are different steel, scales etc.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I had backups for a couple of para 2 and military sprints but I ended up selling them to buy other knives. I wanted to go for more variety in my collection as opposed to multiples of sprints. All of my knives are users and If I lose or damage one of the sprints then I probably will not be able to replace it with the exact same knife, but I will have other capable blades to take its place in the rotation.

If this particular sprint is your favorite user then it would make sense to want a duplicate in case something bad happened to it.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I only have one back-up. Caly 3 SB
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I feel exactly like you described LC, so I have no exact backups. I do however have some variety of Paras and Millies to take up some slack, should I ever lose one of them. But even if I do, the chances are that a nicer sprint will come along eventually to take its place.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I've got a backup of every Spydie I own..
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Cobra!

My policy is simple: when I really like a knife I always get a couple. One for the pocket and One for Backup.

That said, I don't buy anything twice. Just those that I really like can actually make it to my exclusive 'One & Backup' club.
Fully agree! I did that with my DLC serrated natives.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I've purchased backups and typically sold them within a year (often at a loss).

The problem is I've never broken a knife and at the rate that Spyderco makes new knives, discontinues old ones, and releases sprints this approach really cuts into my disposable income. Even something cool like the Superblue Delica I would have to weigh against all sorts of other things I shouldn't be buying either. Flashlights, whiskey, other knives, video games, etc. :o :(

If the money isn't an issue and someone doesn't have anything else tugging at their heart strings...why not?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I say if you love it enough, get a backup .....or two. I personally think the Pingo and the XHP Mule are the only exact duplicate (spydies) I have and that was just to have a potential gift for another person. I had a pair of SB Enduras, but already gifted one of them. This doesn't mean I don't have duplicate handles or blade steels in the same model, just not identical twins. You're a big boy Cobra.... if you want an extra, GET IT!

p.s. as a side note, don't let the thought of a secret release small batch sprint of the ATR discourage you. I'm sure you could sell something in a pinch if Sal drops the mother of all sprints on you :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

xceptnl wrote:p.s. as a side note, don't let the thought of a secret release small batch sprint of the ATR discourage you. I'm sure you could sell something in a pinch if Sal drops the mother of all sprints on you :D
Um, yes. If I own a back-up it will be of a sprint A.T.R. or Lil Temp Rhino. I'll at least buy a few of the eventual Chaparral with bronze scales too. :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

xceptnl wrote:I say if you love it enough, get a backup .....or two. I personally think the Pingo and the XHP Mule are the only exact duplicate (spydies) I have and that was just to have a potential gift for another person. I had a pair of SB Enduras, but already gifted one of them. This doesn't mean I don't have duplicate handles or blade steels in the same model, just not identical twins. You're a big boy Cobra.... if you want an extra, GET IT!

p.s. as a side note, don't let the thought of a secret release small batch sprint of the ATR discourage you. I'm sure you could sell something in a pinch if Sal drops the mother of all sprints on you :D
So much awesome in this reply I don't know where to begin. I'll start first with..if you know stuff about an ATR sprint you best speak up! Hahaha. Second, yeah the price is the thing that sucks. If it was 100 bucks or something I wouldn't think twice. But it's a Lum tanto folder at MSRP nib. I may have to sell my cf cpm154/s90v to fund this.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this but I just thought is get some input and peoples reasoning. I actually thought you guys would say it was a bad idea. Enablers, the lot of you!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Cobra!

My Yojimbo 2 is probably the only production blade I want two of. I came close to pulling the trigger the other day but the fundage wasn't there.

@liquid_cobra
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

With few exceptions, I don't worry about backups of regular production knives. Sprints/exclusives/etc. that I *really* like I will typically try to buy two of, if I can get them up front, so I avoid worrying about trying to replace one down the road at possibly catastrophically inflated prices (S90V Military and Paramilitary 2, for example).
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have 2 FRN D4s, but they live in different places and are different colors, so I don't really count that. I guess I also have the SB D4, and a G10 D4, so...take that for what it's worth. All those are users in the rotation though, so I don't have "back ups" per se. I can see the reason to buy a back up of a sprint, as they do seem to be commanding premium prices on the secondary market. However, if I ever lost or broke my PM2 sprint, I'd probably be just as happy with the production version, as my use probably isn't intense enough to reveal the upgraded steel. That's why I sold that back-up anyway, time will tell if I regret it, but it's nice to think that someone else is using it where I would have let it sit.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I used to have backups of all knives i like. I had 2 of every para2 sprint at one point for example. Now i only have a backup chaparral 1 and just sold my backup sb ladybug and orange dfly today. After carrying my caly3 sb and my chaparral 2 for a year, i realize that spydercos do not wear out fast and I will most likely never need a back up of any knife.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I only buy backups for ones I mod (so I have an original version still) or beat on as an EDC. For the 200+ knives I have, I only have seconds for the Cruwear Military, green PM2, and Caly 3.5 SB. I had a backup forum Native, but I am super stoked that's now in the capable hands of Spydersense (via Sully)! Here's what happened to my first Cruwear Millie (with help from a combo edge DLC Millie and the great folks at Cuscadi):

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I said earlierI had backups of all my Spydies so I went and took a look and I was wrong..I've got one I don't have a backup of..that being the Laci Szabo Spydie..but that one will never go to work with me..

Its strictly a stays under the bed something goes "bump" in the middle of the night knife..in that category it excels..intimidating as ****..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Typically I don't like having knives I don't use regularly, but backups make sense if you can get them especially with sprints. I do plan on buying another S110V Manix when they're more available.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Spyderco is constantly putting out too many awesome offerings for me to worry about backups for yesterday's knives. Tomorrow there will always be something better. :)