First Spyderco!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

First Spyderco!

Post by MacLaren »

Hi guys, new to the forum and to Spyderco. However, as I write this I am waiting on the big brown truck to deliver my first ever Spyderco. After looking at many knives I just had to have the Vallotton! I think I will really like it. The most expensive knife I've ever owned is SOG Trident.
I only state that as to give a little background about my experience with knives. Its been a decent folder I reckon but I was just really ready for a change. I'll try and get some pics up asap. My laptop crashed but I will be at my sisters place this weekend and can do it from there. I like the rule "pics or it didn't happen"
At any rate I just wanted to say hi and tell everyone about my new Spyderco. I really look forward to the forum and more Spyderco knives. Thanks fellas.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

And for a 2nd I'm seriously considering the Domino.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

MacLaren wrote:And for a 2nd I'm seriously considering the Domino.
Consider the sage 3. I promise you will not be dissappointed. It exceeded my expectations. In my opinion one of the top spydercos out there. A bit underrated i think. The way that the action is on this lock, its more fun to play with then any flipper ive owned.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cool. I'll check it out. Thx!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. The Sage 3 looks perfect. And more affordable.
Thx again.
Holland

Post by Holland »

i would check out the chaparral as well, great little knife thats very pocket and people friendly
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I can see right now that this is going to be very addictive lol
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

So, what do y'all think about the Vallotton?
I read a lot of good reviews on it.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

MacLaren wrote:Wow. The Sage 3 looks perfect. And more affordable.
Thx again.
Im telling you the sage 3 is the way to go. Although i dont own a domino but have played with one and i like the sage 3 more, just my opinion. Takes no effort to flick the blade out and absolutely no movement of your wrist to close, while the torx pivot is still locked tight. At least that is how mine is. Its an awsome knife, as for the vallotton i have never owned or touched one.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I used to have a few SOG knives including the Trident. I did like the notch that allowed me to cut string or small rope without opening the blade. Other than that one feature I think Spyderco knives have it all over SOG's knives. I'm referring to the quality of the knives. Their warranty/repair dept. was top shelf. I should know, I needed them a lot. :mad: :) That's all I will say because the attitude here is to not talk bad about other companies or products. SOG has a few knives I like but I like Spyderco's much better. They just feel more solid and well built. Another thing is Spyderco uses several different blade steels in their knives, most of which are better (for lack of a better word) than the average steel in knives made by other companies. Not all but some.

I think you will love the knife. I don't have a Valotten myself. I used to carry only one pocket knife. I did that most of my life. Now I always seem to have between 3 and 5 knives on me. They are all different in some way that results in me having a better knife for different tasks. Right now I have a Manbug, Chaparral 2, Stretch with super blue blade and a Dragonfly 2. About the blade steels again. For example the Stretch normally comes in VG-10 or ZDP-189. THey have a sprint run out now with blades made of Aogami super blue. I've only had this knife for a few days and LOVE super blue. Anyway, not only does Spyderco have MANY different models so you can have a different size for different tasks, the same model may come with a different blade steel or different handle material or both.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

MacLaren wrote:So, what do y'all think about the Vallotton?
I read a lot of good reviews on it.
I use to have a Vallotton, and it was amazing. The smoothness, the lock on it, the action, its incredible. I can't really describe it, but something about the smoothness and the lock was unlike anything I've handled before. It feels like it's on a cushion of air when you open it, then it thwacks into place. The liner lock is way tough, but also easy and smooth to disengage. A lot of knives I have are gritty in the last part of the opening motion when the blade goes off the detent ball onto to locking material, but this had none. It has zero blade play, and I mean zero. It was so easy to open by using a combination of the thumbstuds and the hole, it's unreal. Flicks open great, with a super beefy blade. It feels good in the hand, but takes a little bit to get used to. It really fills your hand up though, its thick.

Overall, just from telling you all of this makes me wish I hadn't sold mine. It is one of those knives You could just open and disengage all day long, it was perfect in that regard and had a certain something I haven't found since involving the action and lock that I can't describe. Sure, it may not have the latest supersteel or be a great slicer, but even though those things usually mean a lot to me with this knife they never mattered because it was just that good. You will definitely enjoy it.

****. Now I want one again.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Jacknifeh- thanks for the comments. I really appreciate all the 411 I can get.
Strong dog- Brown just came and man oh man did you hit the nail on the head! This is like no other knife I've owned. Its awesome
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just one thing though this knife is SHARP.
Which makes me wander which is the best steel for sharpness/cutting-slicing.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Congrats on your purchase there will be many more to come.

Steel wise I like White #2.... Comes down to personal preference and ability to sharpen.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Vallotton is a BA knife. It doesn't make the best slicer, but it's built like a dump truck and will take a beating. I've had a couple threads on it, you may wanna check out.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ton+review
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
v8r

Post by v8r »

Welcome to the madness/club/disease ! Talk about start off with a bang. You will like the Vollatan. Love mine. It's like a gentleman's tactical knife. If you like stout feeling knives like I do it will be right up your alley.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
sal

Post by sal »

Hi MacLaren,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

MacLaren wrote:Jacknifeh- thanks for the comments. I really appreciate all the 411 I can get.
Strong dog- Brown just came and man oh man did you hit the nail on the head! This is like no other knife I've owned. Its awesome
Glad you like it!
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:The Vallotton is a BA knife. It doesn't make the best slicer, but it's built like a dump truck and will take a beating. I've had a couple threads on it, you may wanna check out.

Cool. Thank you.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

sal wrote:Hi MacLaren,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you sir. I appreciate the welcome.