Superblue Urban Sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SolidState

Superblue Urban Sprint?

Post by SolidState »

I was thinking about how lucky people who can have locking knives are to get the superblue caly knives, and I could only think of one Japanese version that would fit the criteria for a lot of others to try superblue.

Would this be a plausibility? It would be a perfect EDC for me, and many others I surmise. Any thoughts?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SolidState wrote:I was thinking about how lucky people who can have locking knives are to get the superblue caly knives, and I could only think of one Japanese version that would fit the criteria for a lot of others to try superblue.

Would this be a plausibility? It would be a perfect EDC for me, and many others I surmise. Any thoughts?
I would buy an Urban, possibly 2 if solid vs. laminated and in the wharncliffe pattern blade.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If it was the wharncliffe, I'd buy a couple in Super Blue (either solid or laminated).
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'd need the leaf to be in....and I'd prefer solid SB. But the Urban would be a great slipit sprint.
On the hunt for...
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would buy it if it was the leaf version
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

Leaf for me in any steel.
Urban Leaf, Superblue Delica 4, Leafstorm, Brown XHP Native, Brown Para 2
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I wouldn't be interested, but I'm sure it would be possible. Whether Spyderco would be willing to gamble on the economic viability of such a Sprint is another matter. Given the "Seki City" blade markings, it would almost certainly have to use the same laminated Super Blue being used on the Stretch and other recent Sprints.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

Drool. Either blade shape, count me in. :D

Edit: how about the Cobalt Special steel?
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I might be interested in the leaf version if the price doesn't run out of limits. Urban's handle seems rather close to Squeak's, which I'm very fond of.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Sal has said a couple of times that the Urban was an "experiment". Given the number of unsold units that were dumped into the discount vendor marketplace after they were discontinued, I'd venture to say that they might not be willing to take a large gamble on this knife again. Never say never with Spyderco, though!

It's really a shame - the Urban is close to being the perfect gentleman's knife for my money. And they are great for modding.

TedP
LC Kid

Highly Unlikely

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I really like my Urban FG Leaf Shape. And I was looking for a long while for the SO Wharncliffe.
:D But Sal said the 'Urban Deal' with the japanese maker was a really bad one, so the final price end up being way more than expected.

A Super Blue version would be really nice, but since the Slipit market is in England I presume a SB version would be really expensive there.

And SB or not, the truth is that there's not a real market for Slipits by this side of the pond.
:rolleyes: At the end of the day the result will be a very expensive Slipit, with little or no domestic market and with a not that big market overseas.
Stay Sharp!
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I kick myself every time I remember passing up on many an Urban wharncliffe. I'd just like another standard run of orange G10 and wharncliffe blade.
-Ryan
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

Comparing Urban and Squeak handles in photos had me thinking: If Urban Superblue sprint ends up being too expensive to sell, maybe we could have a Squeak sprint in it's stead? I'd guess there'd be a suitable European carbon steel in hiding some where, if it has to be carbon steel. If, on the other hand, we'd be looking for the other beneficial attributes of Superblue besides patina, i.e. easy sharpenability and good edge stability, why not do a sprint run with Niolox of Nitrobe 77? 14C28 would also be interesting being corrosion resistant and able to reach decent hardness.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Orion's Belt wrote:I kick myself every time I remember passing up on many an Urban wharncliffe. I'd just like another standard run of orange G10 and wharncliffe blade.
I thought of this post while browsing the Knives Ship Free website; turns out they still have 39 of these in stock! KSF charges closer to full retail on many models, but is a reliable outfit I have ordered from several times in the past.

Orange Urban Wharncliffe for about $93.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)