Thinking about picking up a yojimbo 2. Opinions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Thinking about picking up a yojimbo 2. Opinions?

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, I keep looking at this blade and wondering if I should get one. I must say that at first I didn't see anything special about it but after hearing and watching numerous reviews I find myself wanting to give one a try. I'm starting to suspect its one of those spydercos that you don't appreciate until you get it and use it for awhile.

Just to clarify, I don't really have any need for a sd blade, so my interest in this one would be purely from the edc/utility standpoint. Right now I have my pacific salt and tasman, and a Millie and delica sb. The design of the yojimbo looks different enough from my current blades that I might find a place for it in the lineup. I'm really not sure. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from you guys. EvilD, I'm expecting a full report and sales pitch from you for sure! :)

Thanks in advance,

Lance
Clip

Post by Clip »

Stop thinking and start shopping. What a great-feeling 3" all-utility knife!

Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks Clip! Nobody else?? :(
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I never really wanted one till i held it. really melts into my hand and feels great with the thumb forward grip. the tip is really fine as well. i love this knife and would carry more but it scares the pants off my clients. one of my favorites.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Surfingringo wrote:Thanks Clip! Nobody else?? :(
I agree with Clip. He actually let me test drive his for a few months. I like it and would use it if I had one full time. It performed well in edc roles as well as outdoor chores. The tip is very acute (much like the HG Manix 2s were) but the spine thickness is super robust. I really loved the handle design in use, but it wasn't my favorite in pocket except in tip down configuration.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I've been ogling one for a long time. What has stopped me, however, is the steel choice combined with the delicate tip. I've managed to decapitate my Para 1 (CPM S30V) two times, once I don't know how and once by scraping very lightly chipping paint off wooden window frames. Therefore, I've decided to wait until the knife (hopefully, someday) comes with tougher steel.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Stop thinking, get to doing. ;)

Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I'd wait for the S90V CF one
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Strong-Dog wrote:I'd wait for the S90V CF one
That was my plan
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Surfingringo wrote: Just to clarify, I don't really have any need for a sd blade, so my interest in this one would be purely from the edc/utility standpoint.
The Yojimbo is a great utility knife, but if you drop it and it lands point first the tip is likely to break. Ask me how I know :mad:

The good news is that it isn't coated, so you can just drop the tip a bit with 60 grit sandpaper (then 150 then 600 then 1200...) and make it look "right" again.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:EvilD, I'm expecting a full report and sales pitch from you for sure! :)
LOL, is it really necessary at this point?

Honestly the only things I would change are the things I already have changed, which admittedly are possibly things that only suit my own needs/tastes and may not matter at all to you. There are all kinds of pros and cons of wharnies so take that into account and consider how you use a knife and if a wharnie will work for you. In my own perfect world the blade would have a very very slight belly, about as much as a Delica for example, but leaving the tip centered exactly where it is. I think that would make the blade slice just as aggressively but give it a little more versatility for EDC use. All in all, it's probably my favorite compression lock knife even over the Para 2.

Most recent pic..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:LOL, is it really necessary at this point?

Honestly the only things I would change are the things I already have changed, which admittedly are possibly things that only suit my own needs/tastes and may not matter at all to you. There are all kinds of pros and cons of wharnies so take that into account and consider how you use a knife and if a wharnie will work for you. In my own perfect world the blade would have a very very slight belly, about as much as a Delica for example, but leaving the tip centered exactly where it is. I think that would make the blade slice just as aggressively but give it a little more versatility for EDC use. All in all, it's probably my favorite compression lock knife even over the Para 2.

Most recent pic..
Thanks! I think it was actually your YouTube video that got me obsessing over this one. :) . We'll see what happens. I have to wait until my sb delica arrives next week. My disease has not yet progressed to the point that I am buying spydercos while I still have others in transit. Hehe
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote: In my own perfect world the blade would have a very very slight belly, about as much as a Delica for example, but leaving the tip centered exactly where it is. I think that would make the blade slice just as aggressively but give it a little more versatility for EDC use.
You should try the PPT, but the PPT is a bit heavier.

I can't wait to try the Roc, also. I want to know how badly it carries, how heavy it is, and how it feels in the hand.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yeah, the more I look at the yojimbo, the more I'm convicted I'll enjoy it. Im gonna get one. I think I'll be patient and wait on the s90v version though. I've got enough s30v for the moment.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Surfingringo wrote: My disease has not yet progressed to the point that I am buying spydercos while I still have others in transit. Hehe
I am very guilty of this, it is like an addiction. Dang you spyderco dang you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:You should try the PPT, but the PPT is a bit heavier.

I can't wait to try the Roc, also. I want to know how badly it carries, how heavy it is, and how it feels in the hand.
Thought about it but really 90% of my love for the Yojimbo is in that handle design and lock. If I could I would use that handle on every folder I own and just put different blade shapes and grinds on it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Good luck finding one.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Clip

Post by Clip »

Officer Gigglez wrote:Good luck finding one.
A Yo2 or PPT?

I almost forgot about my Perrin. I agree with Donut, I find the PPT to be more useful for EDC. Taichung quality, hybrid frame/liner lock, great handle, useful blade, strong tip, etc.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris