Calling all custom Caly's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgebler

Calling all custom Caly's

Post by dgebler »

I wanted to start a thread to see if anyone has any customized caly's to show off. Sorry if this is a duplicate or re-hash, but I am thinking of polishing the G-10 on my caly and wanted to see if others have done any mods to these gorgeous knives? I realize that this will not be easy to polish with the heads of the pinned scales protruding from the surface of the G-10, but am interested in trying. I did this with my brown southard G-10 and was very pleased with the results and the reduced friction on the pockets. As my Caly is often carried for work in dress slacks I think this would be a nice move if it could be pulled off. Do you think if I sanded down the head of the pins level with the G-10 would I be compromising the integrity of the pinned connection (would this weaken or defeat the pins, or are they countersunk to retain enough material to withstand this)?

Any other mods? The thread about Caly 3.5 sprints has my head buzzing.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but here's a heavily customized Calypso Jr...

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

That looks incredible Paul
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Wow! thats a beauty. Forgive my ignorance, but were the Calypso Jr.'s screw construction or was that a modification done during this transformation?
Truly a special knife you have there.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dgebler wrote:Wow! thats a beauty. Forgive my ignorance, but were the Calypso Jr.'s screw construction or was that a modification done during this transformation?
Truly a special knife you have there.
That knife started out life as a Sprint Run FRN/ZDP-189 Calypso Jr. The person who modified it changed the shape of the handle completely when he fabricated the liners, backspacer, and scales. I purchased it the way it is now, on another forum. I'm fairly sure I purchased it from Gull Wing and that he built it, but it's been almost 7 years and my memory's not what it use to be.
Paul
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Paul, excellent looking Calypso Jr, what's the white scale material? Thanks, Paul :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

another caly variation. middle knife in top pic. bottom knife in bottom pic. started as UKPK G10.

http://home.comcast.net/~boxer93/red_open.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~boxer93/red_closed.jpg
Be Excellent to each other.
Donut

Post by Donut »

boxer93 wrote:another caly variation. middle knife in top pic. bottom knife in bottom pic. started as UKPK G10.

http://home.comcast.net/~boxer93/red_open.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~boxer93/red_closed.jpg
That looks like a UKPK.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Again not quite the sort of mod you're looking at, but should count as a custom Caly I think. A Caly 3 SE with several broken serrations turned into what I like to call a WharnCaly 3 CE.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I can do that.
Calypso Jr, in a TUX and a SUIT

SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

So...nobody convinced me otherwise and in my impulsive nature I started sanding down the G-10 scales yesterday evening. I got through the 200 and 400 grit wet-dry sandpaper and have removed much of the texture as well as flattened the heads of the pins some (but not flush). I will be picking up some 800 and 1000 or 2000 (highest grit I can find) to finish the polish job tonight. I am having a little trouble getting it cleaned up at the base of the pins, but with some folded edges of the sandpaper I think I can get this to look and feel pretty good. I hope I have not taken this down too far to work with the standard hardware, but I don't think it made much of an impact on total thickness, just the texture change. Ever since I got the Vallotton I have been intrigued by smooth polished G-10. I think in some ways this can be even more attractive than CF. I will post pictures when I am done, I really hope this works out as I love this knife (if not I wll just have to buy another :D ).
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:Know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but here's a heavily customized Calypso Jr...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
The Deacon wrote:....I'm fairly sure I purchased it from Gull Wing and that he built it, but it's been almost 7 years and my memory's not what it use to be.
I can see that both The Deacon and gull wing have been holding out on us. Beautiful custom Caly Jr. Paul!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

dgebler wrote:So...nobody convinced me otherwise and in my impulsive nature I started sanding down the G-10 scales yesterday evening. I got through the 200 and 400 grit wet-dry sandpaper and have removed much of the texture as well as flattened the heads of the pins some (but not flush). I will be picking up some 800 and 1000 or 2000 (highest grit I can find) to finish the polish job tonight. I am having a little trouble getting it cleaned up at the base of the pins, but with some folded edges of the sandpaper I think I can get this to look and feel pretty good. I hope I have not taken this down too far to work with the standard hardware, but I don't think it made much of an impact on total thickness, just the texture change. Ever since I got the Vallotton I have been intrigued by smooth polished G-10. I think in some ways this can be even more attractive than CF. I will post pictures when I am done, I really hope this works out as I love this knife (if not I wll just have to buy another :D ).

I'm pulling for you on this one! Can't wait for pics!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Hi Paul, excellent looking Calypso Jr, what's the white scale material? Thanks, Paul :)
Micarta, most likely paper, since there's no discernible weave.
xceptnl wrote:I can see that both The Deacon and gull wing have been holding out on us. Beautiful custom Caly Jr. Paul!
FWIW, I didn't think I had any emails going back that far, but I just did some digging and found it wasn't Gull Wing I purchased it from. The gentleman who made it, and who I purchased it from is Danny Villanueva.
Paul
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Here is my mirror polished caly3

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
LC Kid

Gorgeous Blade!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr Tap78!

This is simply Epic!
:D
tap78 wrote:Here is my mirror polished caly3

Stay Sharp!
Sully

Post by Sully »

tap78 wrote:Here is my mirror polished caly3
Whoa! Hadn't seen that done.Mirror polishing, huh? Will have to look into that process.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

That mirror polish is just amazing...
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I took this from 200 to 1500 grit and I think I may have gone a little too far in some areas...not quite as even and beautiful as the vallotton thats for sure, but it has a nice smooth feel and I did take the pins down flush with the scales and they seem to have plenty of material left. If any of you have any suggestions to get a more even or high polished look let me know.
[ATTACH]23365[/ATTACH]
I think this is going to carry great in my dress pants, although I may need to be a little more careful at first to make sure I have the same retention.

tap78, that is one beautiful knife!!! how do you do that???
Attachments
Caly custom.jpg
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Nice.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]