Clarity on the C81CFPE2 – Para Military 2 Carbon Fiber CPM 154/CPM S90V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Henry - get both wrote:Me too.

I was surprised when my order went through. I figured they would sell out while I was checking out.
Note for all you NGK buyers, I placed an order for one of these, had it go through, and received the email confirmation. Now in my excitement, I decided to call them and verify that such a Bigfoot sighting-frequency event actually happened (and I was even dancing around in my office...) when I was told that several orders were also called in while myself and undoubtedly one or more of you thought they were placing real orders via computer. The not so happy lady on the other end said that one web order went thru and the other two went by phone, and I would just get an email saying sorry for the inconvenience, you won't be charged, yada yada yada... So, with my very soul crushed, I must inform you lucky ones that you might not be so lucky after all :( . I am sorry to post this, but I am just heart broken...

Oh, should I add that someone at my local USPS sorting facility, within the last month, stole a Lil Temp sterile leaf AND a Kris. Clearly my karma these days is f-ed. PO gave me $50 for the Lil Temp (with me out hundreds) and I'm still awaiting the claim check for the Kris (thankfully insured for full cost this time). Oh, and it's supposed to snow again this weekend.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Or...maybe Crucible wanted to try their hands at cladding with two steels that are very highly esteemed within their product line. That way at least if they are going to try something new they will have a chance of being able to move it quickly into the hands of knife makers.
hickster

Post by hickster »

The laminate seems to have potential advantages in production. As I understand, S90V is difficult/expensive to machine and grind while CPM154 is much easier to work with and polish.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JNewell wrote:Replying to Jim and Cliff without quoting - I still don't see the big performance (cutting performance) advantage to using CPM-154 around S90V...? I'd love to be educated on that. :confused:
It's not supposed to be an improvement over S90V, the edge will be S90V so the cutting performance will be the same.

The blade however would be stronger than a solid S90V blade, that's lateral stress...

Watch this video to get a general idea of what I am talking about.

[video=youtube;VE_4zHNcieM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_4zHNcieM[/video]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Cool, thanks!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JNewell wrote:Cool, thanks!
I am a sword guy, most people don't know that. :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Ankerson wrote:I am a sword guy, most people don't know that. :D
Steel is an amazing thing. What goes into it is important, but how it's formed and then shaped are also important. This will be good stationary bike watching. :) And the ingredients factor and the forming factor both are at play with the blade in this Para2.

Edit: watched the NG video - great show. Production rate would drive people here out of their minds, though... ;)
nccole

Post by nccole »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Note for all you NGK buyers, I placed an order for one of these, had it go through, and received the email confirmation. Now in my excitement, I decided to call them and verify that such a Bigfoot sighting-frequency event actually happened (and I was even dancing around in my office...) when I was told that several orders were also called in while myself and undoubtedly one or more of you thought they were placing real orders via computer. The not so happy lady on the other end said that one web order went thru and the other two went by phone, and I would just get an email saying sorry for the inconvenience, you won't be charged, yada yada yada... So, with my very soul crushed, I must inform you lucky ones that you might not be so lucky after all :( . I am sorry to post this, but I am just heart broken...

Oh, should I add that someone at my local USPS sorting facility, within the last month, stole a Lil Temp sterile leaf AND a Kris. Clearly my karma these days is f-ed. PO gave me $50 for the Lil Temp (with me out hundreds) and I'm still awaiting the claim check for the Kris (thankfully insured for full cost this time). Oh, and it's supposed to snow again this weekend.
Yep, I got the sorry email. :mad: Oh well, I probably shouldn't have spent the money anyway.
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

I got the sorry email as well. At least they gave us a chance at non scalper prices.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I probably would have bought one at the NGK price, but not at MSRP that everyone else is selling it. Oh well, guess I'll just have to use the Para 2 I already have with stupid G-10 and crappy M390 instead... ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Blerv wrote:Or...maybe Crucible wanted to try their hands at cladding with two steels that are very highly esteemed within their product line.
Yes, that is exactly what was said in the quote I provided. It isn't a functional clad, it is a clad which is based on availability and marketing.

Ankerson wrote:
The blade however would be stronger than a solid S90V blade, that's lateral stress...
Where is your data that shows that 154CM has a higher UTS than S90V?

In general clads are weaker than solid core blades, the only way they are stronger would be if you reversed the clad.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jabba359 wrote:I probably would have bought one at the NGK price, but not at MSRP that everyone else is selling it. Oh well, guess I'll just have to use the Para 2 I already have with stupid G-10 and crappy M390 instead... ;)
There were a few other dealers selling these at about the NGK (or lower). Completely amazing, and a strong antidote to the usual posts about speculative scalping.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JNewell wrote:Three at NGK, $293, @ 16:15 ET.
IMHO this is the great price for this knife. Kudos to Annie and Mike. I always thought of them as top notch people and dealers.
(I got one too :) . I didn't plan, just couldn't resist to get unique knife at descent price).
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:IMHO this is the great price for this knife. Kudos to Annie and Mike. I always thought of them as top notch people and dealers.
(I got one too :) . I didn't plan, just couldn't resist to get unique knife at descent price).
Well done sir! I am dripping green over here.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Thanks for the lead JNewell, were you able to get one? By the time I saw it, they were already out. I called and the lady on the phone said she just sold the last one before my call. That close. Congrats to those who got one, takes a lot of luck for us 'common folk' to get a knife not meant for the public.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Philo Beddoe wrote:CC # 002V on ebay now..

I called a well known knife dealer today and they said "yep, we got 2 in but were keeping em"

With all the ones not even leaving dealers hands these could turn out to be ultra rare..
You mind sharing which dealer? I have a couple of requests in but haven't heard anything. Just curious as it might be the same company.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FCM415 wrote:Thanks for the lead JNewell, were you able to get one? By the time I saw it, they were already out. I called and the lady on the phone said she just sold the last one before my call. That close. Congrats to those who got one, takes a lot of luck for us 'common folk' to get a knife not meant for the public.
Yes. Just dumb luck, which is about the only kind I get these days, but it works. I was amazed that they weren't doing what many others are doing and selling at MSRP. I second Roman's praise for NGK, but I've thought they were great going way back. :spyder:

- John
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

JNewell wrote:There were a few other dealers selling these at about the NGK (or lower). Completely amazing, and a strong antidote to the usual posts about speculative scalping.
Mind me asking which dealers?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Sweet! Congrats John, glad it worked out. Ive been stalking the sites on my iphone, pc, ipad all day... The wife's getting mad lol. Guess I'll be ok not getting one since I have zero expectations coming in.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Yes, that is exactly what was said in the quote I provided. It isn't a functional clad, it is a clad which is based on availability and marketing.

Where is your data that shows that 154CM has a higher UTS than S90V?

In general clads are weaker than solid core blades, the only way they are stronger would be if you reversed the clad.
That's actually CPM 154, not the 154CM.