Manbug with super blue blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Manbug with super blue blade

Post by jackknifeh »

Does anyone know or has anyone heard when the Manbug sprint with SB will be available? I imagine it may be sometime this year??? :)

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think the current status is "sometime". :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I'm pretty sure the next SB sprint will be the stretch, then the manbug and finally the dragonfly last
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Donut wrote:I think the current status is "sometime". :p
Yup. And Spyderco's estimate is "sometime, maybe". :) I wonder why their ETAs are so vague. Knowing nothing about running a company like this I don't question, just wonder. Do they schedule a run of models a, b, c but then for any number of reasons change the order or put another model before one of the ones already scheduled? I don't know or even care much but I have wondered. Maybe they make 1200 of a sprint model, box them up, stack them on pallets and sit on the stack of knives eating their donuts and drinking their bee,,, coffee and laughing at all the ETA requests on the forum. :D

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Holland wrote:I'm pretty sure the next SB sprint will be the stretch, then the manbug and finally the dragonfly last
FIgures, I have the D'fly SB on pre-order. :( :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Holland wrote:I'm pretty sure the next SB sprint will be the stretch, then the manbug and finally the dragonfly last
Speaking of the Stretch, I'm conflicted about that knife. I had the Stretch ZDP with blue handle. I really loved that knife but after having it for 2 weeks I just never carried it unless I thought "I want to carry my "?" but the Stretch is such a great knife I should carry it". But most times I just picked up something else. I just don't understand loving everything about a knife but not using it. Wierd. Other than being scared of feeling the same about the SB Stretch it would probably be on my wish list. Right now my GB covers my EDC for a knife of that size. But for a knife of that size with a lot less weight the Stretch is perfect. But I also have the opinion that for a knife that size (which is larger than my favorite EDC size) why not also have the strength the GB has? People and their EDC pocket knife choices. :confused: Probably requires at least a Master's degree to understand. :D

Jack
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm in for a Superblue Stretch and Manbug. Bring 'em on!
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I'm so glad the SB Endura was first, because that's the one I wanted most :D I'm just not a Stretch enthusiast, so I'll probably pass on that one.
Holland

Post by Holland »

WireEdge Roger wrote:I'm so glad the SB Endura was first, because that's the one I wanted most :D I'm just not a Stretch enthusiast, so I'll probably pass on that one.
Thats lucky. The DFly is the one i want the most and its probably last haha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm looking forward to the DFly too, Holland. For some reason, I don't remember seeing the ManBug on the original SB list, just the Ladybug. I'll have go to back and check...

TedP
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Sometimes I've seen Sal comment about a new model having been received by Spyderco, then waiting for QC. Not sure how long that takes, or what is involved. I presume if some issue was found, then they would have to find time to correct the issue as well.

As someone who works in IT (programmer) I have often wondered what kind of software they use to keep track of all of their simultaneous projects, multiple manufacturers spread across multiple countries, while working with potential collaborators on new designs, all from the relatively small company that is Spyderco. I assume it's more complicated than just using Microsoft Project :D . Perhaps some home-grown custom software?

Along those same lines, I'm sure I have *no* understanding of what is involved in making a knife. Sal talks about the experienced knife makers they use in Japan and Taiwan, so it's not just an automated robotic plant making and assembling pieces, lots of hand-processing involved?

I do plan on purchasing a super blue Manbug as soon as I see them available (and SB Stretch too, I've been carrying my Damascus Stretch's some this week).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

phillipsted wrote:I'm looking forward to the DFly too, Holland. For some reason, I don't remember seeing the ManBug on the original SB list, just the Ladybug. I'll have go to back and check...

TedP
I think they are listed with the sprints.

Edit:
pg 45 in regular catalog. You know, the printed one? :)

I don't see sprint runs in the op focus catalog.

Looking at the worker in the sprint runs I don't see the dimensions. Anyone know the blade length, etc. I assumed the SB knifes are the same size as the regular ones.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Dang!!! Now I'm looking at the worker!!! How much $ does Spyderco think I have??? :mad: :D AND, what I can't buy I hope they are happy knowing they make knives I want but cant buy because my 10 starving kids need new shoes!

I figured it out. They don't really need new shoes. :D

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm guessing some of the obscurity is due to the maker of the knives. Often it seems the Spydie-Crew is as surprised as we are when knives show up in a box.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Can't wait for this one too.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

jackknifeh wrote:Does anyone know or has anyone heard when the Manbug sprint with SB will be available? I imagine it may be sometime this year??? :)

Jack
I do not know if this will help or make matters worse...KW has put both on their website with 'coming soon'. They do not normally list knives that have not been released unless it is imminent. I am checking daily for the MB and DF.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:but cant buy because my 10 starving kids need new shoes!

I figured it out. They don't really need new shoes. :D
This one's easy, Jack. You duck tape Spyderco boxes on their feet. As their feet grow, you gotta buy more knives. It's the responsible thing to do. ;)

Ken
玉鋼