Hunting/skinning knife under 100$ cad

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Laethageal

Hunting/skinning knife under 100$ cad

Post by Laethageal »

Hello, a friend of mine is looking for a knife for his hunting needs. He goes once per year hunting deer and doesn't need to do much with the knife other then open a few bags of food to lure the deer and gut the animal once he take it down. He's gonna open it on the field and then have it prepared by a butcher. He's never done it himself as in the past year he was hunting with another guy who knew how to do it and never had the chance to try. Now he is gonna go solo and need a knife. He was looking to buy a Buck knife with 420HC steel as he doesn't know much about knives.

Before buying he asked me if I had any idea for a good blade under 100$ cad that would be easy to clean and do well with gutting and general chore. Gut hook was something he was interested in but not mandatory. You guys have any suggestion for something like this? Fixed blade or easy to maintain locking design.

Thanks
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd suggest the Moran Drop Point. Average US street price is under $100. If he'd prefer a folder, the VG-10 FRN Stretch would be a good choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

A delica would work just fine for that. I've gutted and cleaned many a dear with a three inch blade. 3-3.5 inches is about the best size for that work in my book. Nice gift...I'm sure he will appreciate it.

Edit: the stretch that Deacon suggested would probably be a very good option too.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I've been using a Mora 546 for just about everything outdoors including cleaning fish and processing deer. The 546 is about $9 They are on amazon and I purchased 3 of them ( 1 for me and 1 for each of my boys), a Mora Rubust, and a Fiskars x27 spitting axe and it's was $90 shipped.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

If he likes Buck, the Buck 110 folder is very good and the fixed blade Vanguard would suit him well! If you want to get him a Spyderco then one of the Moran fixed blades, along with a Delica would be ideal! :)
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

For me if you're field dressing a deer it's all about a fixed blade, I've been hunting since I was 12 and I dressed my first deer when I was 11 (a beautiful 10 pointer my dad shot, I was sitting with him in the stand). Fixed blades have no place for gunk (blood and guts) to collect like folders do. I used an old Schrade that was like a classic Buck and with its pin construction it was always collecting crap that wouldn't come out. This past year I forgot my Lone Wolf Mountainside Drop Point which I'd been using for a couple years and stopped at a local place on the way up to the camp. I bought a Gerber Myth fixed with a gut hook (I'm not a Gerber fan) it was cheap enough (Somewhere around $50) and the best option at this small place. I have to say i was actually very impressed. I landed a 180lb 8 point white tail and it was a breeze with that myth. I'd never used a gut hook before and that was a whole new level of easy. It held an edge and even split the ribs and pelvis without ruining the edge. I was so impressed the lone wolf will be staying at home next year. :D
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Always carry both! Fixed blade for heavy cutting, folder for the finer ones! :)
APS

Post by APS »

For what you specifically said he'd be doing then Stretch is a great choice and also excels as a general use knife. The FRN handles will make the knife easier to clean b/c they are chemical resistant and can take really hot water something that you might not want to put wood handles through.
Adam
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Surfingringo wrote:A delica would work just fine for that. I've gutted and cleaned many a dear with a three inch blade. 3-3.5 inches is about the best size for that work in my book. Nice gift...I'm sure he will appreciate it.

Edit: the stretch that Deacon suggested would probably be a very good option too.
^ Wow, nice spelling!! :rolleyes:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I prefer a fixed blade myself.. Easier clean up!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Revival

Post by Revival »

Spyderco Stretch if he wants a folder.
macatac

Post by macatac »

I too prefer a fixed blade. I once cleaned a deer with my Buck 110, and it worked, but cleaning all the "gunk" out was a pain. Plus, if you want to try to split the rib-cage, the extra strength of the fixed blade would be better. Make sure whatever knife he gets has a good guard or finger choil (sp?). Gutting a deer can and will get pretty slippery, and hands covered with deer blood is a bad time to nick yourself. The Buck Alpha's are nice, as are the Spyderco Moran's. I have a Buck Zipper (~$65 USD) with gut hook, that I like a lot.

macatac
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

macatac - "Plus, if you want to try to split the rib-cage, the extra strength of the fixed blade would be better."

I agree with this, and what's been said about the dirtiness thing. I've cleaned about 15 deer in my life and have yet to use a Spyderco (until I get a Moran, or Southfork, or Street Beat, or Temperance 2), or even a folder for it, but I must say this: A deer that's been shot well will result in most of the chest cavity filling with blood, literally. A gut-shot deer will leave you with a similar problem in that area. If you use a folder, you may be hesitant to split the ribcage as mentioned above. Now because you didn't split the ribcage, you'll have to reach up into the neck area almost blind, which will most likely result in a folder covered in blood. Probably wont cause any real problems, but it will require a lot of extra work to clean that folder instead of your fixed blade. Simply put, a fixed blade will be easy to use, easy to clean, and worry-free.

- Ryan
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok. I respect everyone's opinions on the fixed blades. Not what I grew up using, but all of your points are valid and relevant. However, given what the op is asking for I still think a delica or stretch would be a better gift. His friend goes hunting once a year. If he kills anything he's going to have it processed, so it's purely field dressing. No pelvic bones or rib cages. Just cut & gut. I just think a folder like a delica, endura or stretch will serve him better. Perfectly adequate for the hunting trip and it will be something he'll be more likely to use the other 364 days too. :) . And as far as the blood and goo op, if you're that worried about it get one of the salt knives. Mine are covered in fish guts daily and they're as good as new...and they never get anything more than a quick spray with the hose.

Edit: all of the above is just my opinion...which ain't worth much. Any of the knives mentioned will clean a deer. **** the Indians did it with a sharp rock. ;) The correct answer to your question is get him whichever one you think he will like the most.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Revival wrote:Spyderco Stretch if he wants a folder.
I support Paul's suggestion of a FB Moran for his focused use, but if I had to choose myself a sub $100 hunting folder (in current production) I would suggest the VG-10 Stretch FRN and a doublestuff (or at least a 303M pocket stone.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I'll check price difference, availability and maybe feel in hand between the strech and Moran. Seems like both could be a good choice.

Tthank you all for your opinion, it's appreciated!
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Moran FB01 with the upswept tip has worked very well for my field dressing needs.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

BR 828 Browning Big Game is the perfect hunting knife and also comes with a belt sheath. It's a folder with clip blade, gut hook and saw blade
macatac

Post by macatac »

Surfingringo wrote:.

Edit: all of the above is just my opinion...which ain't worth much. Any of the knives mentioned will clean a deer. **** the Indians did it with a sharp rock. ;) The correct answer to your question is get him whichever one you think he will like the most.
Ahh, but have you ever seen or felt a sharpened piece of flint. It would give most modern blades a run for the money. Difficult to do, but scary, and I mean scary, sharp. :)

I agree with the blood pooling 100%, and one other aspect is trying to get the meat cooled. The large bodied Canadian whitetailed deer ventilate better when fully opened up. You can get away with not splitting the ribs with smaller southern deer, but those toads in Canada have a lot of mass. Course they could just pack them in snow. :D As mentioned, I have gutted deer with folders, but I much prefer fixed blades for that task. Bottom line is get a QUALITY knife that will hold a decent edge, of which all of the suggestions here would work. Get what feels good and what you or he likes. My last 5 deer were with Spyderco Mules, but several before that were with that Buck Zipper.

macatac
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

On the hunt for...