Who Loves the Spyderco Wire Pocket Clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nccole

Post by nccole »

kbuzbee wrote:Saw in interesting clip from Böker today (at KC)

Basically you push it open. When you use the knife, it slides into the handle.

No idea how well it works, but it's an interesting design that allows some flexibility.

Ken
I have been brainstorming something kind of like that for a while. A sort of spring loaded clip that once held is totally out of the way. My mind raced and I came to the conclusion that everything I was thinking was way too complicated for a **** clip! I didn't put anything to paper, maybe I should. That looks very interesting though. Most knives ergonomics improve so much with no clip, but I don't want a clip adding to the price of a knife too much.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I handled one of theses a few years ago. Very interesting design, I just didn't like the rest of the knife enough to want to own it.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
nccole

Post by nccole »

xceptnl wrote:I handled one of theses a few years ago. Very interesting design, I just didn't like the rest of the knife enough to want to own it.

How does that one work, or what is the model name. The other one ("Federal" I believe) upon digging deeper is not very functional.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

nccole wrote:How does that one work, or what is the model name. The other one ("Federal" I believe) upon digging deeper is not very functional.
This one sort of worked via a cam and transfer bar that force the clip outward when closing the blade. The clip is spring-loaded to retract as the knife is opened. It is not as fluid and operation as one might hope and it affected the resistance acting on the blade and slowing the process. It is a brilliant concept though. They make a new version of this mechanism on a zytel handled knife.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*