EDC legal to carry in new york (Not necessarily NYC)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xall

EDC legal to carry in new york (Not necessarily NYC)

Post by Xall »

I'm looking for an EDC that I will not get into any trouble for in new york, we have pretty harsh knife laws here.

A few I've looked at are
Spyderco PINGO
Spyderco Tenacious
Spyderco Delica

Any recommendations (doesn't have to be one I mentioned) with the term gravity knife being very loose, I want to be safe with what I get.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If I was in NY I would deep-carry a Squeak and a Street Beat. Oh, dreams :) .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Outside of NYC, any Spyderco folder with the exception of the Embassy, Citadel, and Bi-Fold is legal carry in most of New York State. However, a few cities may restrict you to a 4" max blade length so staying under that is not a bad idea. Clipped carry is legal on paper, but since the definition of "brandishing" can be stretched like salt water taffy, your safest bet is to carry your knife loose in your pocket and keep it invisible unless you have reason to actually use it. By the same token, although it may be technically legal, being seen with a fixed bladed knife, unless it's daylight, you have a hunting or fishing license, and you're dressed for one of those activities may very well raise some eyebrows. I'll just add that knife laws in most of New York State are almost never enforced against anyone who has not already done something else to attract negative attention from the police. If you cross that line, they can, and often do, get very creative with their interpretation of the law. Inside NYC, all bets are off. Of the three Spyderco models you mention, the Pingo would be the least likely to get you arrested, but NYC demands that all knives be carried completely concealed, so if it's clipped to your pocket, you're breaking the law.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Xall

Post by Xall »

I was mostly worried about the loose interpretation of "gravity knife" I've heard that basically any knife that locks can be considered one to the right person, and that would be illegal.

Regardless, any recommendations? Personal favorites?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Xall wrote:I was mostly worried about the loose interpretation of "gravity knife" I've heard that basically any knife that locks can be considered one to the right person, and that would be illegal.

Regardless, any recommendations? Personal favorites?
That's a situation which only exists within the confines of NYC unless you're doing something that's really illegal, or going out of your way to make a cop want to find a reason to hassle you, while carrying a knife. As for personal favorites, among Spyderco's current offerings, mine are the Stretch and the Chaparral. Like the Delica you mentioned, both my favorites are midlocks with relatively light blades, so they're not capable of being opened with "a flick of the wrist" and thus are among the most difficult for anyone to confuse with a gravity knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

its a pretty ambiguously worded law so i think in practice even security / law enforcement uses their own discretion. i recently walked into the john st court bldg in the nyc financial district with a delica 4. usually theres no security check but a few weeks ago there were tables set up to empty your pockets and metal detector wands put on you. the security guy handled my knife, complimented it, then rubber banded it with my name on it to pick up on my way out. no problems at all despite the obvious lockback.
jonymalik33

Re: EDC legal to carry in new york (Not necessarily NYC)

Post by jonymalik33 »

I'll just add that knife laws in most of New York State are almost never enforced against anyone who has not already done something else to attract negative attention from the police. If you cross that line, they can, and often do, get very creative with their interpretation of the law. Inside NYC, all bets are off. Of the three Spyderco models you mention, the Pingo would be the least likely to get you arrested, but NYC demands that all knives be carried completely concealed, so if it's clipped to your pocket, you're breaking the law.
Subscribe for E20-018 free brain dumps dumps training Duke University to guarantee pass Isaca exam.