First Impressions of my first Sebenza!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
eric m.

First Impressions of my first Sebenza!

Post by eric m. »

Got my 1st Sebenza last week, along with a good dose of the flu going around. Thanks to all here on the forum for answering my questions and posting their pics, along with their thoughts in aiding me in my decision! Spending so much coin on 1 knife, you bet I'm going to do some research on the matter, along with asking alot of questions! I purchased the Blade HQ exclusive large Sebenza 21 w/CF inlays. They have an excellent video of the Insingo on their site! I got the standard blade shape. Visual Inspection-there are no blemishes, scratches, rough spots anywhere on this knife. The machining is excellent. The inlays are nested into the handle perfectly! The polish on the blade and the surface of the titanium are fantastic, providing a nice contrast with the edges of the handle, lockbar, and pocket clip, which are bead blasted-I think! The knife feels very comfortable in my hand and is extremely well balanced also! I'm glad I purchased the inlay model because I prefer a more hand-filling grip. Opening the knife, there is some resistance to overcome but the blade then opens very smoothly. You can tell that the tolerances on this knife are kept very tight! Lock-up is very rock solid, not only audibly, but can be felt in your hand. This knife exudes quality, as well it should!!! The blade came ever-so-slightly off center, but not really a big deal. You can go on youtube and tour the facility of CRK knives, which I recommend doing. Meet the man behind his knives, understand his mindset, and see the process beginning to end! I was curious about the "Holy Grail" of production knives to own, and seeing as I'm only going to live once in this body, I finally have 1 of my own! Is it worth the price tag? After seeing the tour of the shop, maybe! After handling one in person, absolutely! There are so many Spydercos, higher end models especially, that have the high level production quality of the Sebenza, like the Vallotton, Domino, Southard, Chaparrals, Sages, Techno, and others, but the tolerances that this knife is made to, along with the materials used, and the handle shape come together so well in the Sebenza that it has to be felt and handled! So, if you've never had one or handled one, get one yourself and find out! You only live once, and if you don't like, you can sell it for pretty darn near what you paid for it! The way I see it it is a win win situation either way! I'm keeping mine and will probably order another large one again because it fits my hand so well! Thanks again to all for your patience and information! :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah...I'm not quite there yet. For the money I personally would be more interested in something like a Strider, but that's just a style preference. Then again, I've never handled a Sabenza, so perhaps seeing really is believing. That is to say, I don't question the quality or whether it's worth the money, but more whether it's worth the money for my uses as opposed to a Strider.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Evil D wrote:Yeah...I'm not quite there yet. For the money I personally would be more interested in something like a Strider, but that's just a style preference. Then again, I've never handled a Sabenza, so perhaps seeing really is believing. That is to say, I don't question the quality or whether it's worth the money, but more whether it's worth the money for my uses as opposed to a Strider.
They make the Sebenza 25 which is built a little more stout than the 21. I'm going to wait on an inllay model 25 as my next Sebenza! :)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I would be afraid to leave the hizzie with a blade like that clipped to my pants. I would get a custom leather belt sheath, especially if I had a Strider due to the weight. I have a hard time spending "new gun price" on a blade, but all love no hate man, enjoy that purchase. That is a grail item for sure
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

twinboysdad wrote:I would be afraid to leave the hizzie with a blade like that clipped to my pants. I would get a custom leather belt sheath, especially if I had a Strider due to the weight. I have a hard time spending "new gun price" on a blade, but all love no hate man, enjoy that purchase. That is a grail item for sure
The inlay models come with a nice leather pocket sheath which covers the knife completely while in your pocket. Purchase by itself for $25! Nice package deal for the inlay models if you ask me! :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Congrats on the new blade and boo to the flu. ;) BTW, where are the pics? :D :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Congratulations on the new Sebenza eric m. very nice choice. What do you think of the large, too large or just right?
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

DRKBC wrote:Congratulations on the new Sebenza eric m. very nice choice. What do you think of the large, too large or just right?
It fits my hand extremely well, better than I thought! The finger groove really locks my grip in! I'm not exactly a small, thin man(5'10"-200lbs.) so I have no problem pocket carrying this knife! I know I stated that I would be looking for a small Sebenza next, but since the large fits me so well, the small, I'm afraid I would find too small! Thank you for your help in this matter DRKBC! What are your thoughts on the Model 25? Have you held one, and if so, how are the two cutouts in the handle compared to the one? :)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

twinboysdad wrote:I would be afraid to leave the hizzie with a blade like that clipped to my pants. I would get a custom leather belt sheath, especially if I had a Strider due to the weight. I have a hard time spending "new gun price" on a blade, but all love no hate man, enjoy that purchase. That is a grail item for sure
Hehe common misconception.

Striders arent heavy at all. I dont have a SnG or SMF currently but off my memory, they were possibly lighter than the sebenza. At least the SnG anyway
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i have a strider pt- very light knife-
had a few sebenzas- wish i still had the first it was a bg42 i think
Kev83

Post by Kev83 »

Congrats!! I recently got a sebenza and it lives up to the hype IMHO. Enjoy! And post pics if ya can!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

razorsharp wrote:Hehe common misconception.

Striders arent heavy at all. I dont have a SnG or SMF currently but off my memory, they were possibly lighter than the sebenza. At least the SnG anyway
I agree on the SnG, but the SMF is another kettle of fish, and a cast iron kettle at that. ;) We'd need to dig out specs, but my subjective feeling about the SMF is that it's about the same weight as a small boat anchor. YMMV! :D
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

eric m. wrote:It fits my hand extremely well, better than I thought! The finger groove really locks my grip in! I'm not exactly a small, thin man(5'10"-200lbs.) so I have no problem pocket carrying this knife! I know I stated that I would be looking for a small Sebenza next, but since the large fits me so well, the small, I'm afraid I would find too small! Thank you for your help in this matter DRKBC! What are your thoughts on the Model 25? Have you held one, and if so, how are the two cutouts in the handle compared to the one? :)
I think from what you describe the small could be too small for you. I really like mine but it is a lot smaller than the large. That said it is a really nice gentleman's folder, little bit larger than most and smooth as butter, I wouldn't give mine up.

Regarding the 25 I have not held one, I would love to. I like the look of the 25 (except for the Micarta version, yikes) and the robust construction. I too would like to handle it though to see just exactly were my fingers would end up on the cut-outs. Still, I just love the 21, I could have bought the 25 when I purchased my latest knife and I didn't, the 21 is just such a proven design.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Glad to hear your purchase was worthwhile. I took the Sebenza plunge for the first time last year, and it took A LOT of deliberating before I finally decided to pull the trigger. Spending a bunch of money on a knife was a tough thing to justify. However, it opened up my eyes to a new side of the addiction. I now lean towards higher-end knives, but I just buy them much less frequently. I also will sell them if I find myself not completely in love with them as opposed to just keeping them like I used to with less expensive knives.
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Evil D wrote:Yeah...I'm not quite there yet. For the money I personally would be more interested in something like a Strider, but that's just a style preference. Then again, I've never handled a Sabenza, so perhaps seeing really is believing. That is to say, I don't question the quality or whether it's worth the money, but more whether it's worth the money for my uses as opposed to a Strider.
If you're considering a Strider, do it. I recently picked up a PT CC, and it is an amazing knife. I'd imagine you're considering one of the larger models, but, judging from mine, any issues the company used to have with f&f are gone. My example is top quality and definitely a keeper.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

[quote="d.2.the.p"]Glad to hear your purchase was worthwhile. I took the Sebenza plunge for the first time last year, and it took A LOT of deliberating before I finally decided to pull the trigger. Spending a bunch of money on a knife was a tough thing to justify. However, it opened up my eyes to a new side of the addiction. I now lean towards higher-end knives, but I just buy them much less frequently. I also will sell them if I find myself not completely in love with them as opposed to just keeping them like I used to with less expensive knives.[/QUOTE Yeah, the money is getting tight with everything coming upon us! :(
BT-Blades

Post by BT-Blades »

I love my Sebenza 21! The longer you have it and the more you use it; the more you'll like and appreciate it! :)