Dragonfly 2 Super blue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a birthday coming up so if anyone feels a distinct need to buy me a gift... :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

JerryIsAlive wrote:It seems everyone and their mother has a pre-order through KC as it seems they are the only ones taking pre-orders. I cancelled mine and will just try for one when they drop.
I think National might be doing pre-orders as well. They at least have a purchase option on their coming soon page.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Doc Dan wrote:I have a birthday coming up so if anyone feels a distinct need to buy me a gift... :D
I'm thinking about buying you one. Or would you prefer two? Don't forget, it's the thought that counts :)

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

You may know this but I just found out. I read the description on KC and this D'fly has SS liners (like a Delica). Now I'm even happier about the knife. :D It does make me wonder if it will fit in my kydex neck sheath. If it doesn't I'll just return it. Yeah, right! :)

Jack
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

jackknifeh wrote:I'm thinking about buying you one. Or would you prefer two? Don't forget, it's the thought that counts :)

Jack
I knew I could count on you. You are all heart for 'thinking' of me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

jackknifeh wrote:You may know this but I just found out. I read the description on KC and this D'fly has SS liners (like a Delica). Now I'm even happier about the knife. :D It does make me wonder if it will fit in my kydex neck sheath. If it doesn't I'll just return it. Yeah, right! :)

Jack
Steel liners? Now I am definitely interested! What about the Manbug?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I'm a little confused about the steel liners. The normal FRN models do not have steel liners correct? How could the Superblue weigh the same 1.2 oz as the non-liner models?

I wonder if we could get an official confirmation on that. Part of CQI?
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would expect the "steel liner" to be an error in product information.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Retooling the FRN molds to accommodate steel liners would be very expensive. Probably a misprint.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Still, it would be nice for confirmation either way.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Yeah, we need clarification from Spyderco. But the description of the liners is very precise. Someone went to a lot of trouble to wright about the benefits of the liners. Maybe the fact that it's a sprint so they added liners. I don't know. Has anyone sent Spyderco an email yet? They don't need emails from lots of people. Phone calls? Yes. Let's all call SFO at 10 am their time. :D Naw, that would be annoying. :)

Jack
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

it wouldn't be the first time that spyderco did a rolling change to a model, starting with a sprint run. (cpm m4 military, and steel inserts for the frame lock)

that said, steel liners on this knife would be silly and unnecessary.
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

GoodEyeSniper wrote:
that said, steel liners on this knife would be silly and unnecessary.
the g10 dragonfly has steel liners and that knife is great!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, sad news, Spyderco Customer Service says that these sprint runs do not have steel liners :( (

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

GoodEyeSniper wrote:that said, steel liners on this knife would be silly and unnecessary.
This would be my thoughts. Whatever benefits would be gained, the weight difference without the liners is only 0.8 oz. or 22 grams. Add a partial skeletonized liner and they could be within 5 to 8 grams of each other. Seems like alot of work for little gain.
JerryIsAlive wrote:the g10 dragonfly has steel liners and that knife is great!
I do love the G-10 Dragonfly, but it is a unique animal when compared to the FRN or Salt Dragonflys.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I sent Spyderco an email a few days ago asking about the ss liners and an estimate of when the knife will be released. I just got this reply. I'm only posting this to show Spyderco's very specific ETA for this knife. :)

Their reply is in blue/red:
The lightweight Dragonfly2 models including the superblue does not have any liners.

That particular knife should be something in the first half of 2014.

Based on history (that I remember) I'm betting on sometime in June (like the 30th :( ). :)

So, I'm not going to hesitate. I'm going to hurry up and start waiting. :)

Jack
Holland

Post by Holland »

This model will be an instant favourite for me. one of my top 5 favourite designs, coupled with my second favourite steel :D I'm fine with it coming out in late spring as ill have more money and ill buy 2 then :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

There's a pic of the SB Dfly in the Shot Show thread in MCM's set of pics starting on page 3, FYI.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'm waiting (impatiently :) ) for my new D'fly2 with super blue. :D The grey FRN handle will be fine I'm sure but I may want to dye it. I've never done that. Does anyone know if the grey FRN is light enough to dye well? Has anyone dyed their grey FRN before? I don't know if I will want to do this but I'm curious.

Jack
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

jackknifeh wrote:I'm waiting (impatiently :) ) for my new D'fly2 with super blue. :D The grey FRN handle will be fine I'm sure but I may want to dye it. I've never done that. Does anyone know if the grey FRN is light enough to dye well? Has anyone dyed their grey FRN before? I don't know if I will want to do this but I'm curious.

Jack
IMO the color on these is fantastic, it is very understated. in the shade you might see plain gray, get it in better light and the subtle hues of blue come out.

I think I've seen people dye these, but I could be mistaken. I think a deep Burgundy could be nice.