List of counterfeit Spyderco you could find for sale anywhere

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
Laethageal

List of counterfeit Spyderco you could find for sale anywhere

Post by Laethageal »

***All link removed to prevent shopping of fake. Will update with written details and picture for each models as I find time for it.***

This morning I was looking at the post of a member asking if a particular knife was counterfeit. I didn't knew the answer so I tried to see if I could find the same knife as a counterfeit anywhere. During my search, I realized there was much more model that are copied then I thought, so I decided to make a post that I'll try to keep updated with every model that are/have been counterfeit. I might not keep the link active if they break, but at least a quick description so you know which model might be fake and you can keep your eyes wide open when you buy. As for now, this is a list of every spydies I could find on aliexpress. If you know model copied in the past, post it or tell me, I'll add them to the list.

To help figure out which are my newest addition to the list, I'll post them on the top of the list.

NEW! Watch out! - The Ladybug and Manbug in VG-10 ZDP-189? Can't tell if they copied it yet or simply bought a real one and made a false add:

NEW! Watch out! - The Schempp Tuff, it's about to hit aliexpress. You can spot the fake from missing clip thread on the pivot side so you can't have it tip down.

Counterfeit Military and Paramilitary 2 in S30V, scale color black, green or orange. Para and military is also seen with half SE blade... or cheap VG-10 military imitation with China writen on...

They then added the titanium scales to the mili, and they recently added the camo scales to c36 and c81 with either standard S30V or the black S30V blade.

Then there is also the dragonfly and southard that was added to their list of fake. Oh I just saw some new colors southard so here's the added link to watch for.

I know there is also the tenacious with 4 blade option that's copied on aliexpress, the civilian I saw for the first time this morning while writing this list... as you look at the order list of the civilian, they seems to have appeared on the 5th december as this is the first buy we can see.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Not to forget the caly 3 that they copied:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Their is also something I never thought I'd see, fake mule team with custom scales, in that particular case the MT-10 in CTS-BD1:

Then the shape of the native with a cheap blade with printing of a damascus style on it:

Yojimbo looking blade shape, without the spyderco hole, and wrong handle:

Blade shape close to the cara cara 2 but not exactly it, cheap chinese handle:

UK penknife:

Warrior fixed blade:

Those I know it's spyderco model but can't remember the name, feel free to update me. It does look quite similar to the UK penknife but a little bit smaller if I'm not mistaken.

and finally these one I don't know about, I don't know every spyderco model yet so it might be one, or simply a generic model they wrote spyderco on while some are clearly random model they wrote or stamped Spyderco on:

I think I didn't miss any so if your knife is not in the list, good chance it's genuine.

And never forget, they might write S30V, CTS-BD1, CTS-204P and other on the blade, but you really can't wish this to be true. They are only made to try and rip money off people. That means using the materials costing the less to them so they get the highest profit margin.

If you see any other, feel free to tell me so I can edit this listing.

And don't forget, I know all knive model of spyderco are on alibaba, but most aren't counterfeit. They push the scam further by simply using stock picture of the knives to lure people into sending them money via wire transfer and never to send any product.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Freman

Post by Freman »

The Civilian copy they put the actual steel in the product description, 9Cr18MoV.

They definitely won't have been importing VG-10 for their knives. I suspect that any knife that has a high perceived value will be 9Cr, and something that doesn't will something like 8Cr or worse.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

16 December 2013, added Ladybug and Manbug, both in VG-10 and ZDP to the list.
17 December 2013, confirmed the spotted Schempp Tuff is counterfeit.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Dang! The MT-10 Mule copy was supposedly made out of "elephant ivory" and sold for $890! :eek: For that price, they should have at least copied an S90v Mule...

These Chinese manufacturers are out of control - and not just in the knife community, either...

TedP
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Just like the lady and manbug. Sold for 95$ and over. At that price it's way cheaper to get the real thing. In fact it might be real at that price, but there's no way to know with them, so stay away! :P
Freman

Post by Freman »

*laughing*

I've seen genuine ZDP Ladybugs for about $40 plus postage on eBay (reputable seller).

Given the FRN handles (which we're told is expensive to set up production of) I'd think they are possibly genuine, which is why they're so expensive.

On the other hand that seller stocks a lot of copies.
Manchu

Post by Manchu »

I don't plan on buying a knife from ANY dealer outside the US, so not currently a big concern of mine. Now, when we start to hear stories of State-side dealers trying to pass off fakes as the real thing, then we have a major problem. I could very well see how someone that's prone to less-than-honest business practices would be tempted with a larger profit margin. Scary thought...
Keep Up The Fire!!

:spyder: : Janich/Snody Ronin, Chinook II (2/ea.), Manix (1st gen.), Persian (1st gen), UKPK-G10/orange, UKPK-G10/fg, Southard, Gayle Bradley, Goddard OD Lightweight Sprint Run

**Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.**
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

One of the very reason of my thread to try to list all the counterfeit Spyderco being produced is to help people find if they should doubt buying a knife from a second hand and/or pass on that ebay deal they see. If the knife you sought after isn't on this list, then you mostly can consider it being genuine Spyderco. Then if the knife is on this list, ask yourself a few question before buying:
Is the knife new and a too good deal to be true? If so, chances are it's a counterfeit.
The knife's picture on ebay are out of focus, hidding the usual pinpoint of counterfeit and description of the knife says he don't know where it come from? Watch out.
That guy you just meet want to sell you one of his "collection knife" for a low amount? Watch this list and try to see the counterfeits details that makes it different from a real Spyderco before buying it!

I do plan to try and list the difference we can see without taking the knife appart, for each model, but since I don't own any counterfeit and not many Spyderco, I have to rely on picture from alibaba, and review on youtube. I'll add the details slowly as I get them.

One of the easiest giveaway at the moment is the 3 screw for the clip. Spyderco screw are more flat shaped * ===) * while the one on the counterfeit are for now mostly round shaped * ===D *
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

With all due respect to the OP, I'm not sure if this thread is going to be more helpful or harmful to Spyderco. I'm thinking that it serves as a one-stop shopping location for those looking for counterfeit copies of their popular knives. Not trying to be a downer, but rather throwing it out there for consideration.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Well as you said, it could have become a shopping list for people looking for counterfeit. I had already thought about this but considered I was being paranoid and put the link at first. Seeing I'm not the only one who come up with this, I removed all the link and started inserting the pictures. If anyone can tell me how to link more then 10 picture, it would be of great help. As I spend more time and learn more about the counterfeit, I'll try to get some written explanation of what you look for to see if the knife is counterfeit or not.
Shadmin

Post by Shadmin »

If these are pure fakes to scam the buyers then why not uses junk steel like plain old 420 or 440 or even AUS-6? Those are the most common steels I see in cheapo Chinese or Pakistani made knives? 400 series is another moniker for cheap junk knife blades. These steels are very cheap and common, they are also soft and easy to machine with 420 being the easiest of the bunch. Do not confuse junk 420 with 420V or 420HC which are modified and can actually yield a decent usable blade, Buck uses 420HC and to be honest I have a few Buck knives which do a fine job for the price! These cheapies I am talking about are pure junk and won't take much of an edge no matter how much you sharpen them! I highly doubt that those fakes even have 8Cr13MoV which is China's equivalent to Japan's AUS-8 and is not the cheapest stuff available! After all why use any type of even hallway decent steel when you're only concern is high profit margins for your fakes which means very low cost of manufacturing? 420 is much cheaper and is definitely much easier to machine quickly! If the counterfeiters were trying to imitate a high dollar item then I could see using a better quality steel because the amount of money they would be getting would offset the cost of better quality materials, plus they need to fool experts who would potentially be examining or testing the counterfeit! That is not as much the case here, where the scammers want to produce numbers of these fakes to sell at 'bargain' prices vs the genuine articles. It sucks that we as knife collectors/users now have to worry about potentially buying a fake knife when looking for bargains? The counterfeiters would be hung up by their 'nads' if it was up to me! Buyer beware...