First Native experience

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

First Native experience

Post by dbcad »

For quite a while I've been wanting to check out this model. The Knifecenter XHP variation gave me the perfect excuse. I've wanted to check out this steel for some time as well

For a pinned linerless FRN knife the Native feels incredibly solid and stable. The Native has no discernable play in any direction, has a well centered blade and is very nicely fitted and finished all around. The action doesn't have the crispness of the Cento3 but feels solid and reassuring nonetheless. It seems to have a deep lock notch as well. to unlock it the lockbar has to be depressed fully :D The bottom choil and finger groove in the handle give a nice secure grip which combined with the lightweight make this a very controllable and comfortable blade to wield :D

The blade shape is also interesting :) A hollow grind on the edge and a swedge ground into the last 2/5ths of the spine yielding a needle like tip :eek: on the 1/8" thick blade.

It came nicely sharp but I opted to reprofile. With a hollow grind I'm always looking for the path of least resistance :eek: :D It will be fun to see how the XHP holds up under relatively light use with the lower edge angle :) The XHP took a nutty superkeen edge pretty easily :D It feels like it will be pretty easy to maintain :)

I'm very happy to have made this purchase and discovery. The Native has the feel of a low key comfortable everyday user. The Native/Urban duo will be in my pocket for a little while now. Thanks Clip for giving us a heads up on this one.

This XHP Native is a sweet feeling knife :D
Attachments
nativeurban.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love that brown. As for the Native, it is really a tank of a knife. Nice, thick FRN, strong blade with a nice point, pinned, and a lot of blade in a short handle. I sometimes carry mine in the pocket and it doesn't bug me. Enjoy your new knife. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I bought my Native earlier this year while I was in Golden. Picked it up from the Mothership. It is a weird knife, in the sense that when I pick it up and carry it, I love it....but when I am rotating, it always seems to never get picked. It is a great knife.
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

The Native is a great knife , and for many years has been a great buy for first time Spyderco buyers . A great EDC that does not spank the wallet . regards MG2
derrelw

Post by derrelw »

The Native frn s30v is my longtime carry favorite and still goes to work with me most of the time. Great value for outstanding function.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Natives, Sages, and Stretches; What a wonderful world! :)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

An s30v native started the addiction five years ago, and is the bellows whose breath now blows once again. On the mountain top it whispers "spyderco. Spyderco" I cant help but hear its sweet sweet plea.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

And what is your addiction whispering for you to do??? :rolleyes: