Is there Manix 2 black blade combo edge S30V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bgrisso

Is there Manix 2 black blade combo edge S30V

Post by bgrisso »

Hi Everyone,
I lost my paramilitary black blade recently (bummer, great knife!) so looking to replace. I can get a new paramilitary 2 black blade plain edge (really wish they made a combo) or I also like the look of the Manix 2 black blade.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a version of the Manix 2 black blade COMBO edge in S30V. I called Spyderco and the person I spoke with said they exist but not in stock. The only ones I have seen online are all 154 CM (black blade COMBO edge) but I'm not interested in anything other than S30V.

So I can't tell if they exist and are hard to find, or if they don't exist with S30V.

Any help is much appreciated, plus any thoughts on comparing the para2 with the manix 2. I know the locking mech is very different, and have not held it in my hands yet to see what it's like.
thanks
Ben
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I certainly haven't haven't seen any, and I've looked pretty thoroughly. Do they exist? I don't know.

Welcome to the forum!
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Para has a thinner blade and is a better slicer (they're both good, but the Para is wicked good, where the Manix is just pretty frickin' good). The Manix is beefier and probably better suited to "heavy" use (whatever that is). I've broken the tip off a Para but not a Manix yet (and I use/carry the Manix more often).

The M2 seems noticeably heavier than the P2 in business type clothes. In my normal work clothes I don't notice the difference at all, though.

I think for most people who use their pocket knife as a pocket knife the Para may be a better choice, but for me (and other folks who beat the heck out of their gear), the Manix seems to be holding up better.

I've never seen a Manix in the specifications you're looking for, though.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

They definitely exist:

Bought mine from Amazon for less than $100 6 months ago. They don't appear to have them anymore... :( Nice little beastie, it's the M2 I carry when I want to carry an M2. With the Domino around now though, that doesn't happen much. Plus I prefer the older back lock Manix (gen 1's), the big guy and the little one :) . Hope that helps (?)! Cheers, Radioactive

P.S. I also believe, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, that I saw this particular flavor of Manix on this year's discontinued list. I'll check on that...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

And my manners seem to be just terrible these days...

Welcome to the forum bgrisso!!! :) Cheers, Paul
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
lpc

Post by lpc »

I just received one from Knifeworks last week. The web page and invoice says 154CM but the knife has CPM S30V on the blade. I really wanted the CPM S30V but was willing to settle for 154CM. I decided to order anyway based on seeing it on the discontinued list. I can't say if all the ones they are shipping are the S30V, so if you only want the S30V I would recommend calling them.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

lpc wrote:I just received one from Knifeworks last week. The web page and invoice says 154CM but the knife has CPM S30V on the blade. I really wanted the CPM S30V but was willing to settle for 154CM. I decided to order anyway based on seeing it on the discontinued list. I can't say if all the ones they are shipping are the S30V, so if you only want the S30V I would recommend calling them.
I believe that S30V replaced 154CM on all of them a little while back and Knifeworks probably just didn't update their page to reflect the change.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bgrisso

Post by bgrisso »

thanks for all the info everyone, much appreciated !
and thanks for confirming this does exist, was driving me a little crazy.
I think I will order a Manix 2 from knife works and see what I end up with, can always return it.
I already ordered a para 2 black blade today, figured I can't really go wrong there.
In terms of the Manix 2, I think my main questions are how I will like the lock, and how I will feel about a tip up orientation only. With the para I was carrying tip down, and of course you can change it however u want, but the tip up just seems kinda odd to me, but figured I need to get it in my hand to know for sure.
On another note I was talking with Spyderco today, about the Para 2, the Manix 2, and the Military. The Para 2 they can't seem to keep up with orders very well, and they don't make a combo black blade, and the manix 2 and military she said were being discontinued. Anyhow, like I told her, seems to me they are dropping all their best knives !!! Maybe they make more money on the other stuff.
Anyhow, thanks again.
Ben
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bgrisso wrote:I think I will order a Manix 2 from knife works and see what I end up with, can always return it.

Ben
You could save yourself the potential hassle of having to return it by just contacting Knife Works. I'm sure they could verify that for you before you order.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

The Military and M2 are not being discontinued. The Millie CE and M2 lightweight CE are.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Pockets wrote:The Military and M2 are not being discontinued. The Millie CE and M2 lightweight CE are.
This is incorrect.
2014 Discontinued List wrote: ...
C101GPSBBK2 &#8211]

FWIW, I have both combo and plain edged Manix 2's and prefer the plain edge.
All God's critters have knives.
RadioactiveSpyder

zhyla wrote:This is incorrect.

FWIW, I have both combo and plain edged Manix 2's and prefer the plain edge.
Thanks for clarifying the disco situation, I was pretty sure my memory was right on that point. As for CE vs PE, you may be right performance-wise but the CE on the DLC blade is so much cooler looking, IMHO!
bgrisso

Post by bgrisso »

Hi everyone,
I just got the last S30V Manix 2 combo edge black blade from knifeworks. I got a Para2 black blade off ebay as well. My conclusion comparing the two is that you just CAN'T beat the para 2. I really wish they made a combo edge on the para2, but otherwise it's perfect. The Manix 2 is a great knife, but heavier, and I prefer both the locking mech on the para 2 and the fact that you can carry the para 2 tip down (or however).
Instead of returning the Manix 2, since it's been discontinued, figure I will sit on it for 6 months and flip it on ebay for little profit, they should be hard to find soon since they are discont. There are still some around in 154CM but I have not seen any in S30V....
thx
Ben
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Gotta love the combo-edge! Just not so many of us! :cool: