Spyderco A.T.R return please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Spyderco A.T.R return please!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sal, what are the chances of a sprint of the ATR? Or possible a modern take on it with G10 scales over the compression lock? I love the blade shape. To me the tip looks strong like a tanto without actually being a tanto so it would be easier to sharpen.

I think this knife would be a big hit due to the success and popularity of the compression lock and the demand for more "tactical" type blades. Sorry to use the word tactical lol.

Not my pic

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Ya know.. Every time I log on here I learn/read/see something new!! WOW!! Thanks.. That is 1 KOOL knife there!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Count me in as interested!
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Holland

Post by Holland »

ive always wanted one, but im not a fan of VG10 and the Ti s30v versions are far outside my price range. So count me in!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm in :) !
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Pretty good response so far, let's keep it going!
Anyone actually own one of these bad boys?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
AndrewDanielson

Post by AndrewDanielson »

Ive always wanted an atr. Can we have them made in Golden?
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

I'm in X2.

I don't own any. It was released before my time and, as noted earlier, is extraordinary expensive in all the variations I've come across.

But I'm definitely in...

-Zach
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

My favorite Spyderco of all time. I would buy another, maybe two. Need a new EDC.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Count me in as well. Would love to be able to afford one of these and have it as a daily user. Could dislodge the para 2 I carry most of the time these days.
9blades

Post by 9blades »

I'd buy one in a heart beat, I've liked the ATR since I first saw it.
M80

Post by M80 »

Compression lock A.T.R with grey G10 please :D
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I like the blade shape, but not so sure about the clip or handle style...but with G-10 and comp lock that changes things.
Could you still call it an ATR without the cobra hood?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm in because I missed the originals. I would be happy with any configuration. Surprise us Sal.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

M80 wrote:Compression lock A.T.R with grey G10 please :D
This was my thought exactly. We seem to be on the same page more often than not!

@liquid_cobra
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

So... I don't really get this knife. I don't want a handle full of holes. The blade shape is interesting but the edge isn't all that different from more conventional spy dies like the PM2, it just has the belly a little farther forward. And the clip would need to be replaced with a modern hourglass clip.
All God's critters have knives.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

zhyla wrote:So... I don't really get this knife. I don't want a handle full of holes. The blade shape is interesting but the edge isn't all that different from more conventional spy dies like the PM2, it just has the belly a little farther forward. And the clip would need to be replaced with a modern hourglass clip.
From Spyderco's product description:

We precision machine a fistful of steel into a handle then drilled it full of holes. The holes lessen weight, doubling as indexing divots in order to rotate the folder from one grip position to another. A second set of holes machined from the contoured pocket clip line up with the handle's holes for balanced indexing. Curvy expansions on opposite ends of the handle flare outward into a choil and a pinky shelf insuring the hand remains gripped on the folder in any draw. Rated suitable for heavy or MBC-use, the Compression Lock is integrated, actually part of the handle scale. The VG-10 blade is hollow-ground with a sloping unsharpened swedge down the spine. As the tip sweeps down, the belly sweeps up to meet it, making a thick substantial tip for aggressive penetration and cutting. Seated above the Spyderco Round Hole is a Cobra Hood. While deploying the blade the thumb naturally positions itself under the overhang of the Cobra Hood properly positioning the thumb pad over the hole by feel (rapid deployment). Once opened, the textured Cobra Hood functions as a support/control seat for the thumb while cutting. Clip fastens into pre-tapped positioning holes for tip-up, left/right-hand carry. Discontinued Product - No Longer Available.

It's a self defence knife with edc qualities, in my mind anyway.

@liquid_cobra
kaukol

Post by kaukol »

Oh yes, ATR with Ti handle, no cobra hood and deep wire clip definately would be a dream come true.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I will definitely get one!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like the cobra hood. I say keep it!

@liquid_cobra