Can't Get ZDP Caly 3 Sharp

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rwb1500

Can't Get ZDP Caly 3 Sharp

Post by Rwb1500 »

I got a user Caly 3 and it came quite dull. No real damage to the edge thankfully, just not sharp. I gave it a few swipes on the SM and has zero results , so out came the Sharpie. I hit the 30 and 40 degree slots and wasn't hitting the edge with either. It's seems I'm close to hitting the edge but definitely not there.

My question is should I keep playing with the Sharpmaker or just get the Edge Pro out and start grinding away?
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

Sharpening ZDP on a sharpmaker will take a very long time, it's really hard stuff. Doable, though.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Sell it and get the VG10
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

jtoler_9 wrote:Sell it and get the VG10
Lol. ZDP doesn't scare me. It seems like the previous owner did some sharpening of his own and maybe left the angle a bit too obtuse.

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

dbcad

Post by dbcad »

ZDP is interesting stuff. It definitely takes patience to sharpen it well regardless of the method :) If you have an edge pro and are familiar with it, by all means use it :eek: ZDP can be a tough nut :eek:

I would suggest, having sharpened my ZDP DFly that came with a bunged edge, that you don't just grind away ;) rather use light pressure, the sharpie, and a loupe to gauge your progress :) ZDP does not :eek: like a heavy hand. It responds much better to a lighter, more time consuming touch :) Patience will be rewarded, impatience will turn into a frustrating nightmare ;)

Let us know how it goes :) A lot of folks here coached me through my DFly ZDP sharpening :D
Attachments
dfly zdp.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I'm impatient and thus, have never sought to pick up ZDP. If I were you, I would break out the Edge Pro. You won't really be removing too much metal if you re-profile it, IMO.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I am by no means a pro but I do have my sharpening rig down pat. I use the SM and EP in tandem along with a strop and I get ZDP screaming sharp. In fact I EP'd a ZDP Endura, Stretch, and DFly this morning on my day off. I've been touching them up on the SM for close to a year and I finally decided to clean up their edges today. It was a relaxing affair with the three ZDP's actually.

ZDP should be no problem with an EP w/ stock stones. It' all about getting your set up down... It's worth it bro, with ZDP I have a laser beam edge at all times and it stays that way.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

FCM415 wrote:I am by no means a pro but I do have my sharpening rig down pat. I use the SM and EP in tandem along with a strop and I get ZDP screaming sharp. In fact I EP'd a ZDP Endura, Stretch, and DFly this morning on my day off. I've been touching them up on the SM for close to a year and I finally decided to clean up their edges today. It was a relaxing affair with the three ZDP's actually.

ZDP should be no problem with an EP w/ stock stones. It' all about getting your set up down... It's worth it bro, with ZDP I have a laser beam edge at all times and it stays that way.
All my previous experience with ZDP has been factory edges I've just touched up, and you're right, it stays very sharp for a very long time. I just have to get this edge sharp again then I'll be good.

I've already started reprofiling. It might take a little time. The wife is annoyed ;)
After that I'll be good. It just seems to be taking forever.

TBob

Post by TBob »

Your SM will get ZDP sharp again, but it will take time. The trick with ZDP-189 is not to let it get dull. That said, Spyderco will sharpen it for $5. I usually takes just over a week. That's a lot cheaper than an EP. After you get it back, just keep it sharp on your SM.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Imho, zdp.is wasted at bevel.angles.over 30° inclusive. Thin it out to 22-24 inclusive, then just microbevel on the SM at the 30 setting. You'll.have a pocket.scalpel.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Rwb1500 wrote: I've already started reprofiling. It might take a little time. The wife is annoyed ;)
After that I'll be good. It just seems to be taking forever.
That's why I did the deed while mine was still asleep this morning lol.

You can be aggressive with the re-profiling. Just lighten up making your last passes on each stone very light, just the weight of the stone no added pressure. Like Chuck said, afterwards you could microbevel at 30 or 40 on the SM.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

All for the love of the edge :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Donut

Post by Donut »

ZDP can be reprofiled fairly easily on the sharp maker with the diamond rods. You used to be able to get the diamond rods from amazon for about $30.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

For some reason, I find ZDP very easy to sharpen. I do it freehand. My Native S35 gave me way more grief. For me, the hardest steel to sharpen is AUS 8 - I don't know why. It feels "spready". ZDP just sharpens and takes a wonderfully sharp edge. Just use some rough grit to start til the edges meet, then go finer, and be patient.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hang in there, this is the knife that taught me how to sharpen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Freehand it on SiC paper. You will get to an apex faster, then raise the angle a bit and freehand a microbevel on using the SM rods
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

90% of my sharpening frustrations over the years have been due to being too cautious and not spending enough time on the lowest grit. Make it sharp with your lowest grit first (preferably something around 120, no reason to use higher grits when shaping the bevel), then move along.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Joshua J. wrote:90% of my sharpening frustrations over the years have been due to being too cautious and not spending enough time on the lowest grit. Make it sharp with your lowest grit first (preferably something around 120, no reason to use higher grits when shaping the bevel), then move along.
Very true, I can relate to that.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
steelrat

Post by steelrat »

Joshua J. wrote:90% of my sharpening frustrations over the years have been due to being too cautious and not spending enough time on the lowest grit. Make it sharp with your lowest grit first (preferably something around 120, no reason to use higher grits when shaping the bevel), then move along.
That's my experience too!
I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V :)

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Indeed, zdp is a pita on ceramic only, diamond will achieve a faster result. Extraplus is sharpening it in a fixed position, which will get you a flat straight razor edge. Saying this and reading the angles like 22-24 inclusive in this thread, guess I have been too careful sharpening a Walker zdp 38 inclusive on my wicked edge....lol...I will try again.....steeper......
Tom