The Two Sides of Flippers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Is flipping evil?

yes, but I love it
15%
yes, this is a terrible trend
35%
no, glory to capitalism
50%

Total votes: 78

dgebler

The Two Sides of Flippers

Post by dgebler »

I wanted to start a thread to discuss the two sides of flippers. On one hand if I am willing to pay, I can get almost any Spyderco I really wanted. On the other hand it seems as if it is getting harder and harder for the knife aficionados to get sprint runs and other coveted knives. So, what do you think, necessary evil or a bane to knife lovers?
Clip

Post by Clip »

At first I thought we were talking about the Southard and Domino. Now I see differently.

I voted no, as flipping in itself isn't evil. I've bought a few knives at decent prices, cleaned them up and put a few hours of work into them and sold at a small profit.

By now people should have figured out that if they want something at the original sale price they should use all available resources to secure it. Otherwise, they have to resort to the secondary market. Depending on the network, it's not too hard to find a knife I want at a slightly higher price than from a dealer. Also, I've had some nice forum members really surprise me with a nice deal or lead. So I feel as the trend to flip at ridiculous prices gets stronger, we get stronger as a community. Example: the PM2 availability thread. I think most of the guys hunting for one when the well was dry could follow that thread and score. This is also how I located a few of the recent sprints.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Flippers don't really concern me. I'm just a regular knife enthusiast, but I've been able to get in on every sprint or exclusive that I've wanted pretty easily.
:bug-red-white
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

ya not a fan of flippers of collectible goods,
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I don't love them or hate them, just another way to open the knife for me. I love my domino but I would have bought it regardless of whether or not it was a flipper. I wouldn't buy a knife specifically because it was a flipper.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

He means people who buy knives as an investment to sell later for a profit when they become rare.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Who's still sitting on their Beanie Babies?

Ebay angers me beyond description. I like older tools and I get my vindication when I go to the local swap meets and things are priced more for the everyday working man to afford and enjoy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It is what it is. In my heart I wish the sprints would go to true enthusiasts first, those people who really want them should get them at the lowest price possible. But alas, there will always be scalpers whenever something can be bought and resold for a profit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Evil D wrote:It is what it is. In my heart I wish the sprints would go to true enthusiasts first, those people who really want them should get them at the lowest price possible. But alas, there will always be scalpers whenever something can be bought and resold for a profit.
Yep and all we can do is stay on top of releases and dealers with stock (just like the scalpers) because it will never change. You're fighting to get in line with the same guys that's trying to flip it to you.

My favorite though is the "I got it but I don't like it so I'm selling this knife for twice the price than when it was released and sold out yesterday" line. Just sell it straight up, but if you're gonna have a side story just say "I bought this to make a profit and hose you because you know you want it and I took out your buying slot so I can make a fast buck BECAUSE REALLY, IF I DIDN'T WANT THE KNIFE I COULD HAVE RETURNED IT TO THE DEALER BUT NO, ITS A FREE MARKET SOCIETY AND WHAT IM DOING IS LEGIT." See, it ain't that hard. Flipping isn't illegal, you can be REAL about it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Evil D wrote:It is what it is. In my heart I wish the sprints would go to true enthusiasts first, those people who really want them should get them at the lowest price possible. But alas, there will always be scalpers whenever something can be bought and resold for a profit.
This is the best comment that I could think of about the topic.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

[quote="DRKBC"]I don't love them or hate them, just another way to open the knife for me. I love my domino but I would have bought it regardless of whether or not it was a fwouldn't buy a knife specifically because it was a flipper.[/QUOTE ]

FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... tary/page4

Please read post 63 if you care to know how Sal feels about scalping.
sal wrote:We're not thrilled with the 2ndary market scalping. Not our style. Raising prices to cull demand is also not our style. I think coming up with the right number to make would be the best solution. We are, after all, trying to serve our customers. We'll keep increasing production on those sprints that we think could be a problem.

I do appreciate all of the kind comments, thanx much. In time, we should, with your help, be able to sort it.

sal
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

3rdGenRigger wrote:He means people who buy knives as an investment to sell later for a profit when they become rare.
Oh I am with you sorry :o yeah not a fan. I let my pre-order go for a Cruwear Military because when it came down to it, I realized I didn't want it as bad as many other enthusiasts did. There were so many people that were really excited about the knife and I wanted one but not that bad, so I let it go. I wish there was a way to screen people but that's obviously impossible the best we can do is keep on top of new releases and release dates and sign up for pre-orders pronto if it is a must have item.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

FCM415 wrote:Yep and all we can do is stay on top of releases and dealers with stock (just like the scalpers) because it will never change. You're fighting to get in line with the same guys that's trying to flip it to you.

My favorite though is the "I got it but I don't like it so I'm selling this knife for twice the price than when it was released and sold out yesterday" line. Just sell it straight up, but if you're gonna have a side story just say "I bought this to make a profit and hose you because you know you want it and I took out your buying slot so I can make a fast buck BECAUSE REALLY, IF I DIDN'T WANT THE KNIFE I COULD HAVE RETURNED IT TO THE DEALER BUT NO, ITS A FREE MARKET SOCIETY AND WHAT IM DOING IS LEGIT." See, it ain't that hard. Flipping isn't illegal, you can be REAL about it.
Are there really knives you can do that with? I mean the cruware Millie is around $150 online and 190-195 on ebay ?? Not that much difference. I guess some are more than others..
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

jalcon wrote:Are there really knives you can do that with? I mean the cruware Millie is around $150 online and 190-195 on ebay ?? Not that much difference. I guess some are more than others..
Def some more than others. Green Para was going for $300 the next day after KW were shipping them out just this year. Cruwear Millie has the maximum amount of 1200 pieces and the starting price for it is nearly the same as the standard version so unfortunately for the flippers, the market hasn't shown that kind of demand for these YET.
-Leonard Nimoy
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

mikerestivo wrote:This is the best comment that I could think of about the topic.
I vote with you guys.
Clip

Post by Clip »

It's gotten to the point where I consider picking up two or three at dealer price so I can help out members that might not have had a chance to grab one on release. Gives me a warm fuzzy.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

In most of the hobbies I've followed over the years it's been frowned upon to profit from fellow enthusiasts. The forums are sort of a community and I suppose personally I wouldn't try to profit off of my friends.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dgebler wrote:I wanted to start a thread to discuss the two sides of flippers. On one hand if I am willing to pay, I can get almost any Spyderco I really wanted. On the other hand it seems as if it is getting harder and harder for the knife aficionados to get sprint runs and other coveted knives. So, what do you think, necessary evil or a bane to knife lovers?
For openers, I think your logic is flawed. IMHO, assuming you were willing to pay an exorbitant price, you'd be able to get your hands on almost any Spyderco even if there were no "flippers". There will almost always be someone willing to sell almost any knife if the price is sufficiently higher than what they paid for it, no matter how much they like it. But there's a difference between that and purchasing multiple specimens of a knife one has no real desire to own but just wants to resell at a profit.

Just as with ticket scalpers, the folks who do it will claim, and sometimes even believe, they are merely "filling a need" and "performing a service" and that what they're doing is simply "capitalism in action". And, just as with ticket scalpers, the folks who actually want the item will almost always feel they are dealing with vermin.

IMHO, there's a world of different between "not nice" and "evil" and neither flipping Spyderco knives or ticket scalping are evil, simply because nobody suffers actual harm if they "miss out" on the knife, show, or game. Personally, I'm lucky. Almost none of the knives I like fall into the "low supply and high demand" category, so they're of little or no interest to flippers.

OTOH, I'm amused by the number of folks who think they are entitled to a deep discount on every knife they buy, and that a legitimate dealer who chooses to sell some or all of their knives at full MSRP, or close to it, is doing something wrong.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

There are a couple of other elements to flipping that might be noted:

1. To me, flipping means selling something soon after purchase for a quick profit. I am always amazed at new sprints that appear on Ebay during the same week that they are released.

I have purchased many knives that I have later sold, but I typically like to play with them, carry them, and use them to see if the knife suits me before dumping it. When I do sell, I have used auction formats to do it, starting at $0.00, so that the buyers set the price. Sometimes I am surprised what folks are willing to pay for things, even my own stuff.

2. As Paul alluded to a bit, the flippers are there because there is a market of people willing to pay higher prices for their wares. A perhaps flawed analogy would be illegal drugs: is it the problem the fault of the dealers and cartels, or is it a combination of the cartels and end-user demand? It's an interesting debate.