What to buy next? Techno versus Gayle Bradley

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DedRok

What to buy next? Techno versus Gayle Bradley

Post by DedRok »

What do you guys think? I have a lot of Spydies but have seem to missed the boat on both of these.

Which one should I get? Right now i'm leaning towards the Techno because I don't have an all titanium Spyderco but I am willing to be convinced otherwise! Plan to use & abuse either or...

Techno

Gayle Bradley
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Those are 2 pretty different knives. I would go with the GB as I am not that crazy about small knives but I would think that would be where the decision would start. Other than that FF is impeccable on both and they are both great in there own arenas. Which one do you think you would carry the most?
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I haven't handled the Techno
I did handle the GB at Blade though. Pretty solid feeling. Not much for it in terms of aesthetics imo but I bet it can really get after some chores.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Get a Ti Millie, that will satisfy your titanium craving and give you a real solid knife to boot! Do you plan to use them for a specific reason, or just to add to your collection? In the case of the latter, you know you'll eventually buy both... :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Get a Ti Millie, that will satisfy your titanium craving and give you a real solid knife to boot! Do you plan to use them for a specific reason, or just to add to your collection? In the case of the latter, you know you'll eventually buy both... :)
I would also suggest the Ti Mili, if that is at all in the running. I would love the Techno if they made it in a larger size, and although I don't doubt the GB is a fantastic knife I also have never warmed up to the looks of it.

DedRok

Post by DedRok »

DRKBC wrote:Which one do you think you would carry the most?
I'm thinking the Techno... I'm kind of on a titanium tare right now, and I really really like stone washed! Right now the Domino is my favorite EDC.

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Do you plan to use them for a specific reason, or just to add to your collection?
No other reason than having a hole in my pocket... mostly to add to my collection and of course find the never ending perfect EDC cycle that many of us try to chase. I just want people to sell me on either knife really....

I've heard of people really highly appraising the Gayle Bradley and although I haven't heard as much about the Techno, but almost every review gives it high recommendation if you can get passed its size.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
dres_x

Post by dres_x »

DedRok wrote: I've heard of people really highly appraising the Gayle Bradley and although I haven't heard as much about the Techno, but almost every review gives it high recommendation if you can get passed its size.
I haven't handled the GB but I must say that the techno is a beast! It really is a small pocket tank. If you don't need a long blade this is a very sweet EDC knife. Love the deep carry wire clip too! The fit and finish on mine is absolutely perfect and this thing feels like it could stop a bullet. The stonewashed finish also looks really nice :)
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I like the techno but look into getting one of the custom backspacers you can get. There is a carbon fiber one which looks amazing and a glow in the dark one which has some cool novelty.
testosterone325

Post by testosterone325 »

If you're looking for a really awesome titanium spydie, the Sage 2 is absolutely amazing. I just got mine and I've never had a knife built so solid. The lockup is insane and the ergos are perfect. OTOH the techno has a more exotic steel. XHP has appealing characteristics (basically stainless D2 to make a comparison). I don't have a GB but it's on my wishlist. I love the look of it and the blade is M4 which is supposed to be fantastic. Either knife I'm sure will be awesome. Choose based on how you plan to use the knife since you're gonna use/hard use it. Perhaps one steel may be better suited to your particular cutting tasks.
Favourite Spyderco Knives: Sage 1 and 2!!! Paramilitary 2, Manix 2
Spyderco Wishlist: Gayle Bradley, CF Caly 3.5, M390 Military or Paramilitary 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd definitely opt for the GB, I don't really see the appeal of the Techno but to each his own.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Techno. Perfect watch pocket EDC. Got an orange back spacer on the way :D Thought of putting tritium tubes in a G11 back spacer, but it didn't look as nice as I thought :o
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Techno. Best knife spyderco makes.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I've owned both and they are both excellent, and quite different knives. Since you have a Domino to cover your medium size EDC needs you might want to go with the Techno to give you a different size option. It is small, but built like a tank and still manages to have decent ergos.

OTOH I think the Gayle Bradley is a knife every Spyderco lover should try to own at some point. It is a truly amazing knife. It's a little on the heavy side for my taste, but the egonomics are fantastic, It cuts like a demon and the fit and finish is impeccable.

Really the only correct answer here is to get both, it's just a matter of which one to get first :D
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

NoFair wrote:Techno. Perfect watch pocket EDC. Got an orange back spacer on the way :D Thought of putting tritium tubes in a G11 back spacer, but it didn't look as nice as I thought :o
I've also been thinking about doing a smooth carbon fiber backspacer with blue horizontal trits. When you say it didn't look as nice as you thought, did you do a mockup or something? Did you mean G10 or is G11 a different material?

Regarding OP I'd say get the Techno if you want a stylish EDC with excellent F&F or go with the GB for a more capable workhorse.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Senate

Post by Senate »

personnally i'd go for the Bradley just for the M4 blade, it's one crazy bitting steel!
but the Techno is quite a cool little bug too. i'll end up with both anyway. :D
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

einstein2001 wrote:I've also been thinking about doing a smooth carbon fiber backspacer with blue horizontal trits. When you say it didn't look as nice as you thought, did you do a mockup or something? Did you mean G10 or is G11 a different material?

Regarding OP I'd say get the Techno if you want a stylish EDC with excellent F&F or go with the GB for a more capable workhorse.
G11 is uncolored G10 with a higher glass content. Made a smooth one without trit inserts and just looked at it with trits on top. Drilling it for having trits inside might be nice. Might look cooler with a single large trit inside though (the whole backspacer would glow green), but I think orange will look better.. Glowing backspacers are a bit over the top ;)
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

Techno lover +1

A perfect little tanky folder. F & F is on the top spyderco list. However, if you need to do some detail cutting, techno is not a great but okay idea.

CTS XHP VS M4 is a tought choice of the steel.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Tough choice. I have a GB and the Techno is on my wish list. I like to carry small knives for light duty or when a larger knife may freak someone out. I also like to carry a larger knife for tougher jobs or when a larger size is better. So size and strength are two areas I like to have covered. If I only wanted to carry one the Techno would cover the small size while being tough also. And technically I think the GB is illegal in FL. I think there is a general 3" blade law but where I live it doesn't matter. No one really cares about larger knives as long as you use it properly. If I got a Techno I could never carry any other knives. My GB and the Techno would cover size differences while both being strong folders. The blade steels are both top notch IMO. M4 is not stainless if that is a necessary consideration.

What would really make it a tough choice is if you were looking for a "one knife" to use as an EDC. But since you have others to use that makes this not a "which knife to get" question as much as a "which knife to get first" question. As someone else said you'll probably have both eventually.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Gayle Bradley folder is one of my all time favourites! really cant go wrong. The techno's short thick blade doesnt really appeal to me.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

While the Techno is an amazing little knife (despite the ugly ugly gouges cut in it for the clip and the ugly ugly blue backspacer) the GB is a knife that will do everything and well, and look like a class act while doing it. Of the two, the GB is the superior knife.

That being said...definitely get both.
On the hunt for...