underrated models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

underrated models?

Post by twinboysdad »

Please weigh in. I will get this started. Manix 2 plain jane. Just received one in a trade and it is my first. All I hear is what needs fixing from most folks. Should be FFG...why is the lock clear plastic?...why are liners not skeletonized? I owned the M2XL very briefly before deciding it was just too big. This is the perfect size and strength, American made and very affordable. I think the lock plastic is black on newer models but not a big deal. I have owned several "#1 hard use knives in the world" and the can't touch the ruggedness and f&f of this knife. I am glad it is hollow ground and would only dig FFG if the stock was 4mm. This knife should be the answer to every hard use question thread. And it should come with a lanyard with a pair of those brass balls on it!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I think anything can be made better regardless of how good it is. There's no such thing as the perfect knife. Even my most favorite knives have things I would change about them, I don't think that makes them underrated. I think you're just late to the show and have missed how hot the Manix 2 was when it first came out.

As far as underrated goes, it's hard for any of us to know what the actual sales numbers are on any particular knife, so something that doesn't get a lot of love here on the forum may be a good seller to the general public, and just not get a lot of attention from the AFI's. A good example might be how much love and praise the Para 2 gets these days, while you don't see people posting pics of the standard Delica everyday. That doesn't indicate anything about sales, since I'm sure the Delica is still a higher seller.

All that aside, I've always felt the Centofante 3/4 are very under appreciated by AFI's. It lacks the tacti-cool appeal and isn't a hard use knife, and I think a lot of people over look it for those reasons. Truth is, they're super light, thin, and hold their own slicing among the best slicers in the lineup, and they're relatively inexpensive. It's going to be a sad day when the Cento 3 is discoed, I just hope something like it replaces it.

Rest assured though, most knives have had their 15 minutes of fame. If you search back on this forum years ago, the Para 1 was super hot when it first came out too, just as the Para 2 is today. There was a time when the Lil' Temperance was touted by many as the best design Sal has ever put out, and you almost never see anyone post about that knife anymore.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

You are right about me being late to the show on the M2, real late. But as a newer AFI, all the posts you read are "Ankerson spine whacked one to failure" and "knife ABC is what the Manix 2 SHOULD have been". Maybe I should have clarified that the other knife places we all hang out seem to think a half ground blade with an average liner lock is the #1 hard use knife in the world, should all try a <$100 Manix 2 before committing to the skull tattoos. I did try the M2XL right out of the gate though and feel the M2 to be the better design
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

It's quite enjoyable for me to watch the CQI evolution of Spyderco's.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I haven't owned one but the Meerkat I handled made me think it might be underrated
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:You are right about me being late to the show on the M2, real late. But as a newer AFI, all the posts you read are "Ankerson spine whacked one to failure" and "knife ABC is what the Manix 2 SHOULD have been". Maybe I should have clarified that the other knife places we all hang out seem to think a half ground blade with an average liner lock is the #1 hard use knife in the world, should all try a <$100 Manix 2 before committing to the skull tattoos. I did try the M2XL right out of the gate though and feel the M2 to be the better design

Yeah. Give me a folder and I can defeat the lock with enough abuse. If one knife survives more abuse than the next, that just means if you ever find a legit need to spine whack the crap out of something, then that's the knife for you. Apart from that, I don't see the M2 lock ever failing in any kind of use other than spine whacks, which are just silly anyway. If you need to spine whack something, you should've brought a fixed blade I guess, or pick up a stick or rock and use that instead. I suppose if you wanted to bad enough you could hammer a nail in with the spine of a knife but it would take a while and your aim has to be pretty good ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

My list would include:

1. The Superleaf - it has a lot going for it - compression lock, excellent size and heft, full-flat grind, top-notch ergonomics with choil, and flow-through design for easy cleaning. I am surprised that this was not a more popular model. It's hairy-chested knife that does not shy away from hard chores.

2. The Navaja - this is just a beauty. I'm not sure I would carry it every day but I really like the look (and sound) of it. It's not ideal for every situation but the cool factor of this one gets it done for me. There hasn't been too much in the way of positive chatter about it. Some folks were naturally turned off by the ratcheting mechanism issues, which I get. Mine has been trouble-free thus far (knock on wood).

3. The brown Calypso sprint - I carry this as often as any in my collection. It's a big knife that carries small due to how thin it is. Great fit for my hands, with solid construction and tried-and-true locking mechanism. It's a terrific slicer with lots of cutting edge. I like the G-10 and the brown is actually not as gross as I thought it would be - I have actually come to like it. Perhaps it's because the micarta versions got more love, but I thought that the sprint run was overlooked.

4. The Chokwe - I admit that I was not overly taken with the look of this knife and thought it would be awkward in use. I was surprised at how comfortable it was in the hand. I found it an awkward carry, with the widest part of the knife being at the top of the pocket, but other than that, it's pretty great. I dig the titanium and G-10 combo scales. It's a much better knife than I initially gave credit.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

The Khukri - I don't know if it would be considered underrated, but think it's a bit under appreciated. I think it's unusual name and looks deterred some. Excellent ergos, narrow handle that doesn't hog up pocket space, negative blade angle with a versatile blade profile offers great control and cutting leverage. In hand, the Khurkri feels more like an instrument rather than tool. IMHO this represents one of Spyderco's best designs and has a place in my EDC rotation along with the Caly 3.5, Manix 2, and other notables.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I will agree with the OP. I love the original iteration of the Manix 2, but it was a gateway drug for me that lead to over 8 M2s at the peak of my collecting. I love the HG models and wish maybe a sprint could come about with a really high hollow grind (similar to the H1 Dragonfy). Back on topic...

My underrated list would include
1. Spyderhawk - it's an eagle talon you can carry in your pocket... need I say more?
2. Superleaf - beefy, deep carry, stout, comfortable grip, compression lock .... despite the lack of maximum cutting edge it is a real hall-of-fame spydie for me.
3. Jess Horn - one of my personal favorites though I can see why it is not as popular as most current models.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Spyderhawk! I forgot about it. One of my all-time favorites, in H-1. Did not get the proper amount of love, in my opinion. Great knife in SE & H-1.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

In re-reading my OP, I should have really specified that I meant the Manix 2 is underrated by the knife forums in general but not THIS forum. I read guys who are brand loyal spend just shy of $200 for a hard use knife and then post on the same forum "how do I center the blade?" or "this lock up seems late on my liner lock" or "liner not flush with G10". That is the folks that I think would not believe how much more knife they are purchasing for less than $100 and made in USA. I have tried to keep my footprints very shiny by the way, to each is their own and all that.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I think the Stretch is under-appreciated by the general Spyderco customer base because it looks odd and its virtues are more subtle. Among afi's it is very well regarded.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Bill1170 wrote:I think the Stretch is under-appreciated by the general Spyderco customer base because it looks odd and its virtues are more subtle. Among afi's it is very well regarded.
Yup.... best knife they make in my opinion. It's only downfall is its looks... subjectional but thats what it seems like. (I like the looks)
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

The Zulu. It's so capable in use and its ergonomics are off the charts but its odd looks keep it off the radar for many folks. It's one of the few knives that I have an almost impossible time parting with.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Urban - the little orange Wharncliffe wonder. Absolutely one of my favorite Spydies of all time. I love the way the G10 slipits open and close one-handed.

Terzuola Slipit - the action takes a bit of breaking in and getting used to, but it is a wonderful blade shape and fantastic ergonomics - assuming to grind off that annoying leather lanyard stub thingie.

TedP
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

VeloWeave wrote:The Zulu. It's so capable in use and its ergonomics are off the charts but its odd looks keep it off the radar for many folks. It's one of the few knives that I have an almost impossible time parting with.
I really like my Zulu, but the recurved blade makes it a challenge to maintain the edge, and the really high blade tip means that you have to hold the knife almost vertical to cut with the tip. I think those two things tend to put it into the niche market, and may be a factor in why it was disco'd.

I aggree with Evil D that the Centofante 3/4's are really underrated. In fact I guess I tend to underrate them myself until one comes back up in the rotation, and then I member all the things that I like about them.

I'd personally say that the Breedon Rescue is is underrated. I find it to be an extremely tough and capable knife. I also think that the J.D. Smith doesn't get the lovin' that it deserves. I wouldn't use it for really tough jobs with that splinter-picker tip, but I've always found it a joy to use.
phillipsted wrote:Terzuola Slipit - the action takes a bit of breaking in and getting used to, but it is a wonderful blade shape and fantastic ergonomics - assuming to grind off that annoying leather lanyard stub thingie.
My Terzoula Slipit is banished from the EDC rotation! I think that particular knife is possessed. EVERY time i pulled it out to use it it demanded a blood offering. I finally gave up, and now it just sits in the Spyderpac and gets bypassed in the rotation.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Bill1170 wrote:I think the Stretch is under-appreciated by the general Spyderco customer base because it looks odd and its virtues are more subtle. Among afi's it is very well regarded.
Hmmm...another one which I wonder whether belongs on this list. There have been lots of praises for the Stretch expressed on this forum in the past few years, at least that's my impression. I have the CF ZDP model and feel that it's one of the most perfectly sized folder in Spderco's line up. Good all around blade length, good blade width (not too broad like a leaf, nor too narrow), thin but sturdy handle, nicely weighted. On the flip side I agree with comments about the odd looks (I'm now going to drift from the OP but may as well get this off my chest), it does look like a Dodo Bird or Seagull to me, which I don't care for at all. Partly because of the palm swell which resembles a bird's belly, and it doesn't feel that great in hand...for me at least. Why is it called a palm swell if it's covered by the 3rd, 4th, and 5th fingers rather than the palm? If I had the skill I would grind the palm swell down. I did grind away the bump at the tip, and that helped a great deal in making the Stretch blade look less like the beak of a Dodo Bird/Seagull.

(Can you tell I'm not a big fan of birds?)
Manix Guy 2

My take

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Just posting on some comments and no offense to all . The Superleaf ( I have one )I think was pushed out by the Manix XL in my opinion too much alike in size and a matter of ecomonics . The Stretch is in my opinion is one of the most refined knife ever made by Spyderco , it is not high zoot , but it has no sharp edges anywhere . The knife melts in your hand will do almost anything its aks to do . Regards MG2
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I agree with the Manix 2 being less popular than some other models. When I became interested in the Para2 almost 2 years ago, I was looking at other models in the Spyderco lineup and discovered that the M2 is similar size and on paper somewhat interchangeable with the Para2. I also noticed that the Para2 costs at least twice as much on the used market. I finally got my own M2 and I discovered that it has a lot of good characteristics. I also discovered that it is more different from the Para2 than I originally realized in terms of size and weight. I can see that for certain uses the Para2 would be preferred and for other used the M2 might be preferred. I ultimately decided that I didn't like the hollow-ground blade and I recently got a Manix2 with FFG blade. I really like it and I'm going to make it my hard use knife. I have actually gotten several different knives that I intended for hard use knives, the M2 seems like one of the best.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Chokwe.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden