Stretch CQI - What do you guys think?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Keyword like it. Just emphasizing because some are getting the idea that the Stretch blade is literally getting replaced with a Endura/Delica blade to size. I think that Endura was used as an example to illustrate a straightened blade minus the hump: a more conventional Spyderco spine like the Endura, and PM2. Pictures posted of custom grinds to take out the hump give us an idea of how it will be. Very different from Endura/Delica still IMO.

The hump is unique to the Stretch but giving it a variation without it like other Spydies there will still be unique attributes to separate it from the Endura such as the grind, tip, belly, choil.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:All I can say is that I am going to buy some stretches now...before they get all ruined by more choil.
I doubt that making the choil more pronounced will lose any bladelength, I would be against it also if that were the case. Guys have pointed out for years that The Stretch's choil should be cut deeper like other Spydercos.I believe that what Sal has in mind is a CQI, I dont mind the choil as is and I use it but am not against a deeper curved choil like the PM2's and Calys have. Seriously doubt any loss in fact curving it may gain some ;)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

It's been ages since I last felt the need to log in, but for such an important cause - here we go!

If the choil has to be deepened, Caly 3 is a perfect role model.

No thanks for straight spine modification! It serves no function, but would decrease the useability and chip away on the identity of the knife. There are already hordes of straight backed knives available but the humpback is an endangered species! Peal some apples with the stretch and you will see the functionality of the design: the concave spine makes it easy to guide the blade when choked up (index finger on the spine, middle finger wrapped around the choil). Grinding the hump away, as Yab presented, would make the blade prettier and still retain the useability, and thus would be preferable to straight spine. However, would the tip then turn unnecessarily delicate?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It didn't turn mine unnecessarily delicate. All it did was decrease the turning radius in a cut. YMMV.

It may just be due to the size of my hands, but I greatly prefer the broader "neck" of the Calypso Jr. to the deep choil of the Caly 3. I like the Stretch handle the way it is. On the other hand, I already have mine, and I'm not likely to be buying more any time soon, so I suppose it doesn't really matter either way.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

yablanowitz wrote:It didn't turn mine unnecessarily delicate. All it did was decrease the turning radius in a cut. YMMV.

It may just be due to the size of my hands, but I greatly prefer the broader "neck" of the Calypso Jr. to the deep choil of the Caly 3. I like the Stretch handle the way it is. On the other hand, I already have mine, and I'm not likely to be buying more any time soon, so I suppose it doesn't really matter either way.
That decreased turning radius is important to me, too. It might be time to modify a Stretch.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:I'd be in favor of Spyderco producing versions of the Stretch with different blade shapes. I think doing so would increase the potential market, since not everyone likes the current one.
+1
I am not Stretch fan due to the shape of spine. I used to own an original Stretch and found the handle to be fantastic. I certainly would like to see Stretch with straight spine, leaf shape and "ATR: style of blade.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

bh49 wrote:+1
I am not Stretch fan due to the shape of spine. I used to own an original Stretch and found the handle to be fantastic. I certainly would like to see Stretch with straight spine, leaf shape and "ATR: style of blade.
+2

I love the Stretch but would love to see some blade variation even if sprints. A leaf would be awesome.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

FCM415 wrote:I doubt that making the choil more pronounced will lose any bladelength, I would be against it also if that were the case. Guys have pointed out for years that The Stretch's choil should be cut deeper like other Spydercos.I believe that what Sal has in mind is a CQI, I dont mind the choil as is and I use it but am not against a deeper curved choil like the PM2's and Calys have. Seriously doubt any loss in fact curving it may gain some ;)
I'm not worried about loosing edge...just that I have no use for choils.
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I'm not worried about loosing edge...just that I have no use for choils.
But the Stretch already has one and the modification Sal is contemplating would change the depth, but not the length, so no loss of either edge length or handle grip area. If you don't use the choil, the net effect would be zero.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I came to the Stretch late and now consider it the favorite among my much-loved Spydies (none has taken its place in my right front pocket since it went there).

I like choils and deepening the one on the Stretch is an incremental change I would probably like. But any change to Stretch's graceful spine and belly would leave me unenthused.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

bh49 wrote:+1
+3 I would be down for that, I would love to see a different blade shape and a deeper choil would be a great modification IMO. Love the handle but the spine doesn't do it for me either.
Divo

Post by Divo »

DRKBC wrote:+3 I would be down for that, I would love to see a different blade shape and a deeper choil would be a great modification IMO. Love the handle but the spine doesn't do it for me either.
So what you want is a total different knife with a handle as the current Stretch.

Some people here dont want an update but a total transformation.

Personally I like the shape of the current Stretch and bought it because its different AND useful. If you dont like it I advice you to buy something else.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Divo wrote:So what you want is a total different knife with a handle as the current Stretch.

Some people here dont want an update but a total transformation.

Personally I like the shape of the current Stretch and bought it because its different AND useful. If you dont like it I advice you to buy something else.
I see nothing wrong with Spyderco offering the Stretch with more than one blade shape. They've done it a number of times before with other models. The Lil Temperance, Meerkat, Q, Remote Release, and Snap-It come to mind, and I'm probably missing at least one or two. I think offering one or more new blade shapes in addition to the existing one would increase the potential market for the Stretch.

Couple mockups of potential blade shapes. Note that the shading on the blades of the top two is just an artifact of my butchery and not intended to represent a grind line. Note also that the only change is to the spine between the blade tip and top of the hump. The tip position, edge outline, and blade length have not been altered, so there would be no change in the way the blade sits in the handle.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

As for the choil, a deeper one probably wouldn't hurt. On the other hand, I use Stretch's choil fairly often and I've never had a finger slip forward onto the blade. Can't recall reading of anyone else having that problem either, so I don't see it as a critical change.

Beyond that, I just don't see the Caly 3.5's choil as being significantly deeper than the Stretch's, so I'm not sure how many would have even noticed the change if it had been made without fanfare, just as Spyderco makes many of its CQI improvements. If it was possible to give the Stretch a choil like the Native, Sage, Chaparral, or UKPK, that would be a different story. Those at least create a perception of greater safety.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

As much as I've grown to accept the curvy spine, I must say the Leaf and straight spines both look awesome to me. I particularly like the leaf shape.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

That is a really nice job Deacon, it really helps to have a visual. I also really like the leaf shape blade and a as you say a little deeper choil would be nice, not really deep but just a little. The might the mock up looks fantastic! It would be great in DLC as well.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Thats my prototypes (every varian of blade shape) created in photoshop that I've posted in that thread - original photo credited to GARY (www.garysdigitalphotography.com)
Maybe those will help a bit...

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Wow, Those look exceptional! Love the orange with the DLC and without.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Thanks tap...

The first five is a good idea. If several variations are made I'd like to see one of these.

#6 Personally, I'm luke warm with leaf shaped... Manix, Calys, Sage, Domino, I have enough of those. I know its a popular choice but if only one is going to be made, I'd prefer non leaf.

#7 #8 may be what Sal has in mind since he said straightened spine like the Endura.

#8 #9 #10 the bottom three I really like, especially the last one. Yab's and Gary Graleys'(on BF) custom grinds also others like #10 are quite nice.
-Leonard Nimoy
Divo

Post by Divo »

The Deacon wrote:I see nothing wrong with Spyderco offering the Stretch with more than one blade shape.
That depends on which way you want to look.
Each scenario has its pro's and cons.

Example 1:

When a knife comes close to other existing knives it will compete with that other knife and will influence the sales of that other knife.
So your win with sales with the new knife you more the less lose at the side of the other knife. In this case you eat your own bread.

In general. People buy a knife and choose between similar items.
When items are different enough there is more change that people buy more items.

Ofcourse the thing I mention here is not the only parameter involved.
you can bring in others too. A manufacturer should weight them up to find the right way to go. As I bring in here Example 1, there are more Examples to come up with.

People here on this forum are often looking too much from their own perspective and preferences. Personally I think that is not a good reference for the real world. In the real world most people buy a single knife or 1-3 (whatever) and dont buy 8 Paramilitaries or 4 Manix versions, 5 Delica's etc.

However if and what can be succesful for Spyderco, I gladly leave over to them. They know their market better than I. ;)

I also think Spyderco have already found a good working strategy for that in the form of Sprint runs. So they cover both markets (average customers and enthusiasts)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Fact 1 Sal is considering releasing a variation of the Stretch. Asking for opinions/feedback. The one selling the bread started the dialogue.
Fact 2 Sal has stated that the Stretch has been a slow seller, to his surprise. Many say that they pass on it because of the hump. Purely aesthetics.
Fact 3 I LOVE the Stretch :D Had to say it!
Point 1 I think it's the best user they make to be honest and I have five of the different models. If removing the **** hump is all it takes for more people to realize how great a knife the Stretch is then by all means Spyderco should consider releasing a test piece.
Point 2 The original "Stretch2" as we know it can always be made available concurrent with new versions.
Point 3 The Stretch is not a Manix2 or PM2 (which we also saw evolve from the first versions), it is a "niche" model only known by those in the knife community and giving it a chance to evolve to appeal to a bigger market and make it palatable to even more knife nuts cannot be a bad thing. After all, those who do like the Stretch already have them in multiples anyway.
Fact 4 This wouldn't be the first time a knife was offered in different blade designs. Look at the Enuff line and many in Spydercos past. IN FACT, PM2's, Endura's you name them have had different blades in their prior iterations. There is CQI...
Point 4 People are looking at it from their perspective and preferences because that's what Sal wants. Our opinions on the matter. Of course Spyderco brass will weigh all this to see if it makes business sense.
-Leonard Nimoy