Stretch CQI - What do you guys think?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Post by Holland »

deeper choil would be amazing, but please please please leave the blade shape
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

jabba359 wrote:My first reaction to the Stretch was one of dislike. I thought the hump and blade shape were strange and had zero interest in buying one. But Paul (The Deacon) kept talking about how much he liked the knife. He just wouldn't stop going on and on. ;) So when the blue ZDP went on clearance, I decided to pick one up because I wanted to try out ZDP-189. Once I got it in hand I understood why Paul liked it so much. Over time, the hump and blade shape grew on me. Now I love how it doesn't look like everything else in the Spyderco catalog!

Knowing how the design initially turned me off, I think it's a good idea to maybe try an additional blade shape. Something that would appeal to a wider audience. I'd hate for people to miss out on this fantastic knife -something I almost did- because of the oddness of the blade.
I, too, must credit The Deacon for alerting me to the Stretch's goodness.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
conriocht

Post by conriocht »

Holland wrote:deeper choil would be amazing, but please please please leave the blade shape
Yep, the blade shape is my favorite thing about the Stretch. Otherwise, I might as well just get a Delica or Endura.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

conriocht wrote:Yep, the blade shape is my favorite thing about the Stretch. Otherwise, I might as well just get a Delica or Endura.
I LOVE the bladeshape as well ;) and always will. But as long as it retains that sweet belly, and very thin grind I'm all for seeing other versions as well. I have a stockpile of Stretch's for a reason, but hey maybe the original shape can be available concurrent with updates like the Military is purported to stay when the Military2 comes.

Im actually surprised that so many people dont want to see a new bladeshape being tried after all the years of moaning about the hump lol. Bladeshape untouched is totally fine with me too. All Im saying is "why not" for more versions.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Seldom does a model change radically overnight leaving its fans in the wake. Look at the FFG Delica. If it happens there are usually hundreds to thousands of the precursor still available on the market. If you want a NIB Para1 they are still easy to find.

Let Spyderco try to sell more knives by subtle changes. Sticking to their mission that means more Spyderco fans, not less. If you hate what they do, buy half a dozen of the old style and put them in a shoe box. That's more than a few lifetimes of use.

I think they should try a few blade shapes and see what the buzz is like. It's safer (for sales) than launching a new aficionado-based IP. Frankly...Paul is the biggest Stretch fan I know and is all for it.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Blerv wrote:Seldom does a model change radically overnight leaving its fans in the wake. Look at the FFG Delica. If it happens there are usually hundreds to thousands of the precursor still available on the market. If you want a NIB Para1 they are still easy to find.

Let Spyderco try to sell more knives by subtle changes. Sticking to their mission that means more Spyderco fans, not less. If you hate what they do, buy half a dozen of the old style and put them in a shoe box. That's more than a few lifetimes of use.

I think they should try a few blade shapes and see what the buzz is like. It's safer (for sales) than launching a new aficionado-based IP. Frankly...Paul is the biggest Stretch fan I know and is all for it.
Quite well said, bro.
I'd like to see a variation. The Stretch handle is wonderful. The straight spine is "Spyderco" to me. A deeper choil would be better. When I first heard of this idea, I was upset, but I thought about it, and it seems like a great idea now. Hook me up!
- best wishes, Jazz.
conriocht

Post by conriocht »

FCM415 wrote:I LOVE the bladeshape as well ;) and always will. But as long as it retains that sweet belly, and very thin grind I'm all for seeing other versions as well. I have a stockpile of Stretch's for a reason, but hey maybe the original shape can be available concurrent with updates like the Military is purported to stay when the Military2 comes.

Im actually surprised that so many people dont want to see a new bladeshape being tried after all the years of moaning about the hump lol. Bladeshape untouched is totally fine with me too. All Im saying is "why not" for more versions.
That's true. My main hangup is this: if the Stretch gets it s spine straightened out, what's the difference between it and the Endura? Slightly thinner blade and a choil? I love that the Stretch is so differentiated from the Delica/Endura, I'm worried that a new Stretch would be too similar.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

conriocht wrote:That's true. My main hangup is this: if the Stretch gets it s spine straightened out, what's the difference between it and the Endura? Slightly thinner blade and a choil? I love that the Stretch is so differentiated from the Delica/Endura, I'm worried that a new Stretch would be too similar.
Tons.

A deeply sculped handle with a pinky-ramp and a blade that is 3.5" (and legal for me and many to carry).

I understand why the Endura is popular and why it has been in the past. IMHO, It's a dinosaur compared to the Stretch though. The main advantage is a fraction of an inch of blade and a little less demanding for pocket space.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

conriocht wrote:That's true. My main hangup is this: if the Stretch gets it s spine straightened out, what's the difference between it and the Endura? Slightly thinner blade and a choil? I love that the Stretch is so differentiated from the Delica/Endura, I'm worried that a new Stretch would be too similar.
The Endura is another Spyderco that I use and carry often. Even with the spine adjused, there are plenty of differences that I have actually stated several times on this thread.

Thinner blade: May seem like a "that's it?" deal but believe me, it makes a world of a difference and makes the Stretch a class above most any folder I own. Its slicing capabilities are unmatched. I have fileted with it lol.
Sweet belly: Big advantage the Stretch has over the Endura/Delica, PM2 etc. is that belly. I prefer this belly over others, excels in many apps including food prep.
Deployment hole placement: I like where the Spydiehole is placed, better than the Endura. A big difference for me.
Choil: And it will be CQI'd.
Opinion: Check out the pics of mockups and customs shared by the folks on the forums, with the hump removed, it is still quite distinct from the Endura actually. It's more of a skinner/hunter... More delicate tip though.
Handle: The handle to me is the best fit of all Spydies, thats saying plenty when theres the PM2, Caly, and Native handles among many others. The King of the brand known for ergos (for me)... Wich is why the handle makes for a good platform for other blades...

I'm ok either way, I like the hump- stengthens the tip and is useful when processing meat from my experience. I am excited though because this may catapault the Stretch into a new level of popularity as I've been a strong proponent for the Stretch if anyone hasn't noticed on suggestion threads.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

araneae wrote:Image

Is this what you had in mind for a straighter spine Sal, or more like the Delica (less hump)?
Nice group of blades there ;)

The Stretch has been a favorite of mine for some time now. Glad to hear the handle will not change from finger-choil back. I have a feeling I would NOT prefer a deeper finger-choil, but wouldn't mind it too much either.

The only blade shape I like as much or better than the current is the regrind above (and yab's, G2s, and similar). I don't really like the wider blades on the Stretch handle, as I don't think they would add anything performance-wise or aesthetically for me. However, perhaps they would be more popular to attract those who are not Stretch fans and they may look more Spyderco-ish.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

There is something about the Stretch I just don't understand. I love everything about that knife. I don't think I'd change anything. The one with the bolster and wood handle would be nice but that's it. About the choil the only thing I'd change would be to eliminate jimping. I don't see any need for jimping on the finger choil on a knife. Not for my uses anyway. My thumb has gotten tender from jimping that is too aggressive (Native lightweight for example). That means I was using forward pressure with my thumb and jimping would prevent my thumb from sliding around. However I have NEVER ONCE had any tender feeling from intex finger jimping. That means to me I don't use any forward or reverse force with my index finger. So, if no force is used there is no need for jimping and eliminating it might reduce production cost and consumer price. Again, that is just for my uses and my thinking. If the jimping remains I wouldn't care. I like the spine like it is because I think it looks good and I remember one hunter said he liked the narrower blade for making curved cuts when cleaning game. I like the size and shape of the handle as much as any and more than most knife handles I've used. The part that I don't understand is I had the blue/ZDP Stretch and never carried it after the first week or two. When I looked at my pile of knives deciding which to put in my pocket I ALWAYS chose something else and I just don't know why. I have considered getting another Stretch many times but I keep remembering that even though I love everything about the knife I just didn't pick it up and put it in my pocket. Now if I want to carry a knife that size I'd use the GB. Much heavier but more than capable of what a knife that size is for (for me). Funny/strange isn't it. :D I'd buy one now but then my 10 starving kids wouldn't get new shoes. :)

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:There is something about the Stretch I just don't understand. I love everything about that knife. I don't think I'd change anything. The one with the bolster and wood handle would be nice but that's it. About the choil the only thing I'd change would be to eliminate jimping. I don't see any need for jimping on the finger choil on a knife. Not for my uses anyway. My thumb has gotten tender from jimping that is too aggressive (Native lightweight for example). That means I was using forward pressure with my thumb and jimping would prevent my thumb from sliding around. However I have NEVER ONCE had any tender feeling from intex finger jimping. That means to me I don't use any forward or reverse force with my index finger. So, if no force is used there is no need for jimping and eliminating it might reduce production cost and consumer price. Again, that is just for my uses and my thinking. If the jimping remains I wouldn't care. I like the spine like it is because I think it looks good and I remember one hunter said he liked the narrower blade for making curved cuts when cleaning game. I like the size and shape of the handle as much as any and more than most knife handles I've used. The part that I don't understand is I had the blue/ZDP Stretch and never carried it after the first week or two. When I looked at my pile of knives deciding which to put in my pocket I ALWAYS chose something else and I just don't know why. I have considered getting another Stretch many times but I keep remembering that even though I love everything about the knife I just didn't pick it up and put it in my pocket. Now if I want to carry a knife that size I'd use the GB. Much heavier but more than capable of what a knife that size is for (for me). Funny/strange isn't it. :D I'd buy one now but then my 10 starving kids wouldn't get new shoes. :)

Jack
Jack, the answer is fairly simple. Nothing works for everyone. Heck, there are folks out there who don't like peanut butter. The Stretch fits some folk's hands perfectly but, like any other knife, to other folks it's going to feel like a left shoe on the right foot. Considering the variety of sizes human hands come in, that's hardly surprising.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:Jack, the answer is fairly simple. Nothing works for everyone. Heck, there are folks out there who don't like peanut butter. The Stretch fits some folk's hands perfectly but, like any other knife, to other folks it's going to feel like a left shoe on the right foot. Considering the variety of sizes human hands come in, that's hardly surprising.
Funny you would use peanut butter as an example of likes/dislikes. I HATE I HATE I HATE peanut butter. (imagine throwing up smilie here :) ) Wonder if the Stretch has washers made of peanut butter. I remember it was one of the SMOOTHEST knives I've owned. :)
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Is there any chance to make the finger-choil more like the military? This might not make for the most marketable and popular design but it seems to leaves room for extra cutting edge, which does appeal to many like me. With a grip like the Stretch's I don't need a big deep choil which is also why the current one suits me.
But any deeper choil design would be an interesting change and a likely improvement. I look forward to it.

I'd also be happy to see a new wide blade offered alongside the old shape. I would love something similar to the Dialex Jr shape ground as thin as the Stretch. BTW can anyone tell me (PM so as not so sidetrack?) how the Junior's thickness behind the edge compares to the Stretch or the Caly 3.5, or if there's a list I could access somewhere.

I'm happy to know this sort of input is discussed.
Thanks all
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Conriocht,

Welcome to our forum.

It looks like we're not going to drop the current blade shape. We may offer several other shapes as Sprints to get market feedback.

sal
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

sal wrote:Hi Conriocht,

We may offer several other shapes as Sprints to get market feedback.

sal
I'll be "patiently" waiting and eager to try them.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

sal wrote:It looks like we're not going to drop the current blade shape.
Nothing wrong with that!
sal wrote:We may offer several other shapes as Sprints to get market feedback.
Nothing wrong with that either! Some test runs would be nice.

Sal, while I have your attention... Any chance for some G10 action on a future Stretch?
-Leonard Nimoy
Holland

Post by Holland »

FCM415 wrote:Nothing wrong with that!

Nothing wrong with that either! Some test runs would be nice.

Sal, while I have your attention... Any chance for some G10 action on a future Stretch?
would also love to know this
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

FCM415 wrote:Any chance for some G10 action on a future Stretch?
good idea especially for sprints
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Anyone interested in a wharncliffe variant?