Timberline Special Service, designed by Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Halfneck

Timberline Special Service, designed by Spyderco

Post by Halfneck »

Was cleaning out some old magazines and I came across a picture of a stainless steel handled, tanto-blade with a diamond shaped opening hole. Glancing at it I saw it was called the Timberline Special Service. The pocket clip (Delica/Endura 3) definitely gave away it's Spyderco heritage. Was able to make out AUS-8 on the blade. Looked like it was around the size of an Endura.

Just kind of curious about the back story on this collaboration.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Donut

Post by Donut »

I haven't heard anything on this model. Maybe the people who know more about the older Spydies can teach me.

Are you sure it's not just a Spyderco clip on another knife?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Typed "Timberline" into the forum search bar and got some answers.
sal wrote:I've know John Anthon for many years. Several years ago, he asked uus to design a knife for his (then) new company, Timberline.

We designed the model for John and have patent protection on the design and the diamond shaped hole. It's a solid piece, very well made (in Seki City). The blade is a double bevel "Tanto" style.

sal
The Deacon wrote:Yep, assuming this is the Timberline Special Service Knife Model 94941, The Spyderco Story says it was designed for GATCO by Spyderco in '97 and that production started in '98. There may also be a lightweight version, made at a later date.
recoil wrote:It's for real!
Spyderco Story, Page 273.

dave
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

Here's a picture for anyone interested.

JD Spydo

AUS-8, IRONSTONE time slot

Post by JD Spydo »

I do remember that model. I believe it was all the way back in Spyderco's "IRONSTONE" days. I think it was around 1999-2000. The fact that they used AUS-8 blade steel pretty much dates it around that time.

Timberline themselves had some interesting models during that time slot also. I used to own the Specwar and Aviator fixed blade models of Timberline's which were popular also during that era.

One interesting item about Timberline is that they are one of the very few knife companies that also has fairly decent quality sharpening equipment through their GATCO line.

There were 2 other models that also sold exclusively during the IRONSTONE days. Spyderco's AUS-8 era was a very interesting one indeed. I had the stainless handled Calyso Junior models ( PE & SE) that were at the tail end of that era and as far as I know it was the only Caly Jr. that was hollow ground. The AUS-8 Endura was also a nice model from that time slot as well.

Also the diamond shaped opening hole used in the Timberline model was the only time they did use it as far as I know.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yep it's legit. Essentially same as buying a knife straight from G.Sakai or Moki instead of a Japanese Spydie, there are differences but the craftsmanship has an uncanny resemblance :) .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I believe The Spyderco Story says that Sal's original vision was for Spyderco to follow Porche's model, having a product line of its own, but operating primarily as a design firm. Things didn't work out quite that way, the Timberline Special Service was either the only knife, or one of a very small number knives, that Sal/Spyderco designed for others.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Sorry this is late Halfneck . I had one years ago , construction was as expected for the time period . I bought it NOS somewhere at a fair price . It was very unique part of Spyderco history , friend who covets Tanto blades wanted it more than I did some it went down the road . Regards MG2