Best Fit and Finish

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Best Fit and Finish

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

As the title states, I want to know which Spyderco you own has the best fit and finish.

Out of the Spyderco knives I own currently, the best fit and finish goes to the Chokwe.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

My Gayle Bradley is amazing. I would have to say the runner up would be my Zulu though.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I have a few that I would consider essentially flawless: Southard, Sage 2, S30V Military, D2 Military, CTS-20CP and S30V Para 2, Phoenix and PPT. Some very small niggles with some others (slightly imperfect grinds, some dirt inside etc.) but no big issues with any of mine.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

#1a Southard. The ones I owned and the ones I've seen have all been exactly the same. Perfect

#1b Techno, Domino, Air, GB

I've become a fan of Taiwan Spydercos and F&F is one of the reasons why. Not saying that other Spydercos have bad F&F which isn't the case at all.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Holland

Post by Holland »

tie between my gayle bradley and my 2 chaparrals :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Yo2.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Viele

Edit: C42P
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

3rdGenRigger wrote:As the title states, I want to know which Spyderco you own has the best fit and finish.

Out of the Spyderco knives I own currently, the best fit and finish goes to the Chokwe.
Anything out of the Taiwan factory is top-notch in my book. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

My Southard followed by Zulu and then Chaparral.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

bengaiser wrote:Viele
C42 or Phoenix? Both of mine are flawless (got a spare C42 PE coming so I have a beater :D )
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Dragonfly 2 in Pink that I got for an ex girlfriend had the best lockup and the smoothest transition from blade tang to lock bar I've ever seen in a Spyderco. It was a collector's edition, it was later lost in the mail and the second one I got her wasn't quite as nice.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

Techno for sure
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

The Native 5 2013 forum knife hands down, Spyderco put their heart and soul in that knife.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hard call, IMHO. For one thing, comparing the fit and finish of an open framed slab handled or slab scaled knife, held together with screws, with that of a pinned construction bolster and scales midlock, lockback, or slipjoint is ludicrous. The C27 Jess Horn has phenomenal fit and finish, but, to put that in perspective, it had an MSRP over $400 twenty years ago, so God only knows what they'd need to sell for today. The original bolster and scales Jigged Bone Kiwis came awfully close, at a fraction of the price.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

My Southard, Tuff, and techno are near flawless, they are getting up there with my sebenza
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Gunslinger wrote:The Native 5 2013 forum knife hands down, Spyderco put their heart and soul in that knife.
The fit on mine us great, the finish is average the grind on the handle is on a slant, not 90 degrees
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Also keep in mind that while there is likely a trend for certain knives to follow a particular F&F standard, there will be people who either 1) simply don't own enough variants to have a good perspective, and so their favorite knife may have the best F&F they've experienced, when that knife may in fact be pretty neutral in F&F overall, and 2) that just because 20 people in this thread say that a particular model has great F&F, these are mass produced knives and you may end up with one that's less fabulous than theirs, and 3) overall I don't think any model in the lineup has poor F&F, and that any knife that doesn't shine for it's F&F may well need to go back to Golden to be looked at.

With that said, none of mine really call out to me as being spectacular, because I feel they all are pretty much perfect. There is the Vallotton, which has so many different pieces fitted together in the handle that it has a lot of things that have to be perfect to achieve a great F&F, but even that knife has one spot that I've seen flawed on every model of that knife I've ever seen. My ZDP Caly 3 is pretty much perfect in every way, the only thing you could nitpick about it is whether or not the laminate line is perfectly even or not. As Deacon said, it's tough to argue the F&F of a lock back against anything else because of the finishing work they receive that other models don't. Once they're put together, the entire handle is brushed around the outside to blend the liners and spacers together, so that adds a certain touch to the F&F that give them a more refined feel compared to a milled G10 slab over a cutout liner.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

There isn't one or at least I'm not discerning enough to pick it. The Taichung-made knives are all contenders as are many Golden knives.
greyhulk

Post by greyhulk »

The Caly 3.5 is great for me... And also most of the knives like the , Manix, PM 2.etc..
curdog

Post by curdog »

Have to agree native 5 forum blade then yo2