Some new spyderholed straight razor design :D

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cardoso5fr

Some new spyderholed straight razor design :D

Post by cardoso5fr »

I've already posted the Rhino

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=

And the Quetzal

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=

I did some other straight razor with the same idea to use the spyderhole (licenced by spyderco as a real part of the design to the blade.

The Hippo (O1 tool steel 7/8 , near wedge, red g10 scale and titanium wedge.)

Linheraptor (6/8 near wedge, O1, oak and purple rosewood for the scale)

The cerastes (niolox, 8/8 near wedge and halloween G10)

The double tongue (niolox - stainless steel with niobium, 8/8, near wedge and Black and Copper Lava M3 mokume for the scale)

The black double tongue (Niolox, 8/8, carbon fiber and titanium.
cardoso5fr

Post by cardoso5fr »

For those whose think some design are a bit dangerous, they are right. But not a lot more than a spanish or square nose.

Thank you for looking and all the feed back about the design are welcomed and if you have idea about what you would enjoy to see as straight razor with spyderhole, material, design. I'm open to all suggestion :) . That is a way i want to continu to explore
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Quetzal, Hippo, and Linheraptor are all terrific looking IMO.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I think the Quetzal just hit my grail list. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I'm a sucker for the spyderhole, and since I got into knives, blades just don't look right without one. Amazing work. Keep 'em commin'. :)
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

Cardoso5fr, are these your, and hpw do I go about ordering one?
cardoso5fr

Post by cardoso5fr »

Thank you for the interest, I'm the maker of those :)
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

They are beautiful. I've seen some examples of your work here and there. I fell in love with a 9/8 t-rex with differential temper line, that you made, some time ago. Tres beaux!
cardoso5fr

Post by cardoso5fr »

Thank you for the kind word. The 9/8 T REX is not one of mine production, that is a Straight Razor done by my Friend Cédric Christ

He is straight razor maker and administrator from a straight razor french forum where i'm moderator too :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

amazing designs! thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

cardoso5fr wrote:Thank you for the kind word. The 9/8 T REX is not one of mine production, that is a Straight Razor done by my Friend Cédric Christ

He is straight razor maker and administrator from a straight razor french forum where i'm moderator too :D
My mistake :o Send my kind words to him as well :)
I sent you a P.M.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Quetzal is hot. I'd love that blade in a more friction folder style handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cardoso5fr

Post by cardoso5fr »

Evil D wrote:The Quetzal is hot. I'd love that blade in a more friction folder style handle.

:)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yep that middle one. Feel free to PM me for my mailing address :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cardoso5fr

Post by cardoso5fr »

Those are old thing i sell years ago :D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm impressed - but I fear that my skills with a straight razor aren't good enough to prevent severe injuries with those "dangerous looking" designs! :eek:

The Hippo, however, looks as friendly as can be. Wonderful blade!

Thanks for sharing your photos!

TedP
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Brilliant designs, cardoso5fr! My hat is off to you. :) I especially like the blue handled model on the bottom of post #12. I'm assuming that's a friction folder? Also, what type of blade steel do you prefer on the small folders?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Straight Razors Are Getting Popular Again

Post by JD Spydo »

There have been threads on this forum in the past appealing to Sal to put out a Spyderco Straight Razor. Well after looking at these I think it's an idea whose time has come.

We just had a very upscale new store open up here in Kansas City, Missouri on the prestigious "Country Club Plaza" shopping district. I believe their name is "The Art Of Shaving". I checked out the store the other day when I was at the Plaza drinking high dollar coffee and checking out some top notch book stores. If any of you ever come to KC you absolutely must check out the Country Club Plaza Shopping District. Their Christmas Lighting Ceremony that comes on Thanksgiving evening is known about all over the USA. The store had a lot of German made straight razors in the $200 to $300 price range and they told me that they were going to soon have stock even more pricey than those were.

I do think we are seeing a trend of old ideas reimerging and getting better with new technologies. I would like to know more about the company that made these units in the photos. I have a couple of straight razors and one I've shaved with few times is made by Theirs Issard out of France. Straight Razors do give you a very close shave but like Ted said you better be careful or you'll end up filleting your face :eek: .

I've talked to guys here on the streets of Kansas City and most of the street people have told me that they are far more afraid of a straight razor than they are knives>> which I found very interesting. We used to have a lot of gangs here in the city at one time and many used them as their weapon of choice.

There is a great website that has a forum similar to this one. I've been a member there for about 4 years now and it's great place to hang out and the guys there are all pretty friendly for the most part. The website is >>> http://www.straightrazorplace.com. They have great forums on sharpening and forums on all the different makes and models of straight razors.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
cardoso5fr

Post by cardoso5fr »

Thank you Guys
SpyderNut wrote:Brilliant designs, cardoso5fr! My hat is off to you. :) I especially like the blue handled model on the bottom of post #12. I'm assuming that's a friction folder? Also, what type of blade steel do you prefer on the small folders?
The blue is indeed a friction folder i did some years ago :D . On small folder i used to used XC75 (more or less 1084) , O1, O2 tool steel. Now my regular steel are 115w8 (an old steel used to make metal saw before the time of HSS steel) and niolox (stainless steel with niobium). The 115w8 have a nice cutting power with his proportion of Wolfram, and the niobium give the same thing in the niolox. The two are easy to sharpen and keep sharp even if i keep some high hardness with a low tempering as for the straight razor.

Thiers Issard is one of the great straight razor brand and they make really cool razor in 135Cr2 a really good carbon steel :D . It's funny to see people to be more afraid by a straight razor than a knife :) . Straight razor a great shaving tool as knives are great daily too :D .

If you can fin some old straight razor from Sheffield UK for a good price, take them, they are often wonderful blade :D
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Love the 6/8. Same size as what I shave with. Mine are full hollow though and the newest was made 60 years ago in Sweden :D
LC Kid

Stunning Razors!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr. cardoso5fr!

Your work is stunning!
:cool: A truly amazing portfolio of Straight Razors you have there :) My favs are the Rhino, the Hippo and the Linheraptor, and I wouldn't mind to catch any other :D
Stay Sharp!