Chinook Comback...maybe....please?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KBar666

Chinook Comback...maybe....please?

Post by KBar666 »

Any Chance of a comeback of the Chinook? perhaps?

Any one else interested like I am? Obviously there has to be interest for Spyderco to bother.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

im pretty sure they have mentioned before that another Chinook could be in the works
Invective

Post by Invective »

I'd be in for a couple. PReferably bringing back the hollow grind as well. That FFG doesn't look near as good as the hollow
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

They said something about working with James Keating again but i don't know if it'll be a chinook 4 or something new. I wish they could do a sprint of the original with S30V or better. I really like that shape and i can't seem to find one at a price i would use it at.
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

I think the shape all of it is very good good...I know its a modified Bowie officially, but its extreme modification makes it share properties with a Persian style blade....which make it really good at certain things....

I want one bad. And really wish they would just do more of them.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KBar666 wrote:I think the shape all of it is very good good...I know its a modified Bowie officially, but its extreme modification makes it share properties with a Persian style blade....which make it really good at certain things....

I want one bad. And really wish they would just do more of them.

Could you elaborate? I have 3 chinook 3's which I originally got for a dedicated SD knife. I tried carrying it an using it for EDC but I find that effective edge length is really reduced on an exagerated trailing point.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

VashHash wrote:They said something about working with James Keating again but i don't know if it'll be a chinook 4 or something new. I wish they could do a sprint of the original with S30V or better. I really like that shape and i can't seem to find one at a price i would use it at.
With all the interest these days in overbuilt hard-use folders, I have a hunch that a re-run of the Chinook I would sell quite well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Invective wrote:I'd be in for a couple. Preferably bringing back the hollow grind as well. That FFG doesn't look near as good as the hollow
+100
The Deacon wrote:With all the interest these days in overbuilt hard-use folders, I have a hunch that a re-run of the Chinook I would sell quite well.
Amen to that, Paul. Unfortunately, it seems that models such as the Chinook aren't truly appreciated until after they've been discontinued for a few years. :( Lord knows I've kicked myself a hundred times for not picking up the hollow-ground variation when I had the chance.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yeah deacon i agree with that but i just find the ergos are great for my hands. I love my chinook 2 it's such a great work knife. They are very overbuilt but sometimes I like a knife with a little "thump" to it. i just prefer the lines of the original as far as appearance goes. Wish they would make a chinook szabo sized. Keep the backlock or they can use compression i wouldn't care either way. Of course this is one folder that doesn't need a boye dent that's for sure.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Chinook II and III were fine knives in their own right. However, like the Manix 2 models, they were just pale reflections of their ancestor.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:The Chinook II and III were fine knives in their own right. However, like the Manix 2 models, they were just pale reflections of their ancestor.
Spoken for truth. :D
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I would be in, but would dream of a new Lil' Temp as a first choice. Chinook I that is, and Lil' Temp with a better (wire) clip
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Could you elaborate? I have 3 chinook 3's which I originally got for a dedicated SD knife. I tried carrying it an using it for EDC but I find that effective edge length is really reduced on an exagerated trailing point.
It makes it a very good slasher as well as Penetration. At least when talking Persian style blades....they are very effective at such, specially when the bad guy sometimes has Kevlar.

That said I'm aware the Chinook is not exactly a Persian style knife. But it seems close. SO in theory should preform similarly anyhow.

The Emerson Persian is one of my top choices for a knife for combative use, with the Benchmade Bedlam a pretty close second ....I know of others that will agree. I have not tried Cold Steels talwars yet.

However in any event a Spyderco to me would definitely beat out Benchmade and Cold Steel to me. And the Chinook looks like a great blade for that use.

In a fighting manner if needed. Self defense/offense whatever you wanna call it.

ANd the Chinook is already there, or was...so would simply like to see it comeback. Yes I'm aware that Spyderco Has its own Persian. But overall I just feel the Chinook would still be better suited.

That said I'm not saying that Persian style blades are the only way to go, **** no. I'm not looking to argue, I have many many different knives and blade styles.

I'm simply elaborating as asked. So I really hope it dosn;t turn into some kind of debate here.

Oh also I simply like the Chinook and want it to comeback cause I think its a great looking blade and functional SD knife either way.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!
The Deacon wrote:The Chinook II and III were fine knives in their own right. However, like the Manix 2 models, they were just pale reflections of their ancestor.
Some Real Wisdom! :rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KBar666 wrote:It makes it a very good slasher as well as Penetration. At least when talking Persian style blades....they are very effective at such, specially when the bad guy sometimes has Kevlar.
Hasn't been my experience with the chinook 3 with the cutting dummy tests I did. Dr. Snubnose says the chinook 1 and 2 do much better so it's probably not a characteristic of trailing points. I've also marked with sharpie the edge and did some pressure cutting tests on the chinook 3 and it seems that effective edge length is only around 2 inches.

The emerson has a straighter belly as do the chinook 1 and 2.
KBar666 wrote:I'm simply elaborating as asked. So I really hope it dosn;t turn into some kind of debate here.
No debate here, just a discussion of a statement you made.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

KBar666 wrote:It makes it a very good slasher as well as Penetration. At least when talking Persian style blades....they are very effective at such, specially when the bad guy sometimes has Kevlar.

That said I'm aware the Chinook is not exactly a Persian style knife. But it seems close. SO in theory should preform similarly anyhow.

The Emerson Persian is one of my top choices for a knife for combative use, with the Benchmade Bedlam a pretty close second ....I know of others that will agree. I have not tried Cold Steels talwars yet.

However in any event a Spyderco to me would definitely beat out Benchmade and Cold Steel to me. And the Chinook looks like a great blade for that use.

In a fighting manner if needed. Self defense/offense whatever you wanna call it.

ANd the Chinook is already there, or was...so would simply like to see it comeback. Yes I'm aware that Spyderco Has its own Persian. But overall I just feel the Chinook would still be better suited.

That said I'm not saying that Persian style blades are the only way to go, **** no. I'm not looking to argue, I have many many different knives and blade styles.

I'm simply elaborating as asked. So I really hope it dosn;t turn into some kind of debate here.

Oh also I simply like the Chinook and want it to comeback cause I think its a great looking blade and functional SD knife either way.
I have a custom Persian made with extended length and exaggerated trailing point which I'd go out on a limb and say that's what chucks point was.
In that the slashing effectiveness with this style is concentrated by engaging the belly from a sweeping arc/curve motion onto the belly.
But it isn't as such a Persian though when you get into Persian blades there are so many variations its hard to make a definition IMO .
And don't forget the history of this blade extends between the Greeks , the 'Persians ' and the areas beyond the Persian/indian border into north India which Alexander the Great conquered.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Bladekeeper wrote:I have a custom Persian made with extended length and exaggerated trailing point which I'd go out on a limb and say that's what chucks point was.
In that the slashing effectiveness with this style is concentrated by engaging the belly from a sweeping arc/curve motion onto the belly.
But it isn't as such a Persian though when you get into Persian blades there are so many variations its hard to make a definition IMO .
And don't forget the history of this blade extends between the Greeks , the 'Persians ' and the areas beyond the Persian/indian border into north India which Alexander the Great conquered.
Spot on BK. :)
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Do you find that with such a upswept blade like the Chinook 3 that it will slide out of the cut more so than a blade like the Military that might keep the tip in longer for a better slashing cut. I don't own either blade so just curious what the experts think.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Per-Sev wrote:Do you find that with such a upswept blade like the Chinook 3 that it will slide out of the cut more so than a blade like the Military that might keep the tip in longer for a better slashing cut. I don't own either blade so just curious what the experts think.
Not an expert by all means, but yes, that's what happens. I do find the wharnie performs exceptionally in my unscientific "cutting dummy" tests. The edge of trailing tip(especially one that sweeps up at almost 90 degrees to the edge), seems to let up the pressure on the cut.

I think the idea was that since a slash is in a radius, that a trailing point would keep presenting an edge to the material.
gnlw

Post by gnlw »

I'd be in. There was talk about this a while back. Maybe Sal has an update? :)

I'd really like to see it with a beefy compression lock. I'd pick up at least a couple.