Sub 3" black blade (black handle) knife, current or recently discontinued.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cereal_killer

Sub 3" black blade (black handle) knife, current or recently discontinued.

Post by Cereal_killer »

Hello guys, just joined here after some of my LEO buddies told me they received a dept email telling them to start enforcing blade length laws and ticketing and/or confinscating knives. The law here is cutting edge under 3" HOWEVER I know several of the local LEO's and while they are well informed of the law they said an uninformed officer might measure the total blade length so that's something to keep in mind...

Anyway what I'm looking for is a sub 3" black blade, either PE (preferred) or full SE. I know of the CE delica and while I love the knife (a purple delica 4 FFG is one of my EDC's) I'm really not a fan of the combo edge.

Thanks in advance for any advice, even if its discontinued if its not extremely hard to find I'd still like to hear about it.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Where are you from?
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Small town southern Ohio.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome to the forum. Have the laws changed recently? If not, did you hear the reasons for suddenly upholding laws that possibly were not considered as important as serious laws. Murder for example. Speaking of murder, what do you have against cereal? There 's nothing better than a bowl of frosted shredded wheat with extra sugar. :)

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Is this real? Could you please post a copy of the memo, if it's not top secret?
Nate

Post by Nate »

jackknifeh wrote:did you hear the reasons for suddenly upholding laws that possibly were not considered as important as serious laws. Murder for example.

Jack
I don't think any laws have changed in OH, & I really doubt it has anything to do with crime, real or imagined. My guess would be it has much more to do with ticketing, i.e. revenue, or somebody's ego. But maybe I'm just cynical, lol.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

According to what I found the laws says anything with a blade over 2 1/2" is illegal. That was just doing some fast research googling Ohio knife laws, each city could be different.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Next they'll ban those awful "black tactical assault knives" like he's looking for.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To answer your question, AFAIK, the only black handled, black bladed folder with a sub 3" blade that Spyderco has produced in the last 20+ years is the combo edge Delica 4 you noted. You might want to consider contacting one or more of the places that black DLC coat firearms parts, aftermarket regarding feasibility and cost, purchasing a regular black FRN Delica 4 or another black handled Spyderco folder with a sub 3" blade, and having the blade coated.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Does anyone know if the delica has the same DLC coating like the PM2?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ViperGTS wrote:Does anyone know if the delica has the same DLC coating like the PM2?
No, it does not. All the black bladed Spydercos made in Golden have the DLC coating, but none of those made elsewhere do. The online catalog says the Delica 4 coating is "black titanium carbonitride".
Paul
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Is this real? Could you please post a copy of the memo, if it's not top secret?
My city has 10 sworen officers, I an good friends with 2 of them. I also run a small machine shop and do machine work for the dept./city as well so I have a good professional relationship with them as well. I have personally been showed the email memo but with such a small number of people it went out to there's no way I can post it in an open forum, if for some reason it wasn't supposed to be released it wouldnt be hard for them to figure out who to be mad at...

jackknifeh wrote:Welcome to the forum. Have the laws changed recently? If not, did you hear the reasons for suddenly upholding laws that possibly were not considered as important as serious laws. Murder for example. Speaking of murder, what do you have against cereal? There 's nothing better than a bowl of frosted shredded wheat with extra sugar. :)

Jack
Drugs mainly, no law change (the state law is <4", its city ord. thats <3"). They just want something else to have against the people they're already busting for drugs. Another charge on their tally.

And actually the reason I want a black knife is pretty much spot on what noseoil said, us Ohioans love our guns and we have very relaxed gun laws, being as I'm aloud to open carry my [unloaded] black rifle with no permit (I hold a valid CCP AND an FFL [my machine shop] but to carry my AR, since I can't hide it, I have to follow our open carry laws) I'd like to carry a "black knife" as well.

Thank you all for the comments, yes I know the laws are rediclous,
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cereal_killer,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Cereal_killer,
Welcome to the Forum. Probably the best black bladed knife to carry with your AR will be StagArm Manix2, cutting edge is 2 7/8" , but the blade length is 3 3/8". May be can modify to be on safe side.
jackknifeh wrote:Speaking of murder, what do you have against cereal? There 's nothing better than a bowl of frosted shredded wheat with extra sugar. :) Jack
Jack,
I strongly disagree with you. Cheerios is much better, especially in Chocolate and Apple Cinnamon flavors. Did you ever tried them?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sal

Post by sal »

jackknifeh wrote:Welcome to the forum. Have the laws changed recently? If not, did you hear the reasons for suddenly upholding laws that possibly were not considered as important as serious laws. Murder for example. Speaking of murder, what do you have against cereal? There 's nothing better than a bowl of frosted shredded wheat with extra sugar. :) Jack
Cereal is good Jack, You kill it and eat it. :rolleyes:

sal
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Guys thank you all for the suggestions/advice and the welcome, sal it is really awesome to receive a welcome from you too.

Ok a quick google search has turned up an amazon listing for a black G10 manix2 w/ DLC black blade. It's got several reviews mentioning it has a black blade, as well as the description but the pic is of a silver blade. There is not a spyderco PN listed, is this knife good to go? I sent the seller a question but doubt ill head back till Monday. I like the looks of the m2 but I also think ill look into having a blade coated and go the delica route w/ aftermarket coating. Thanks for all the help guys.

Edit: I see the knife on spyderco's site, now I just need to wait for the amazon seller to let me know what's up with the silver blade in the pic.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Your primary motivation seems to be a desire to have something that's 100% legal to carry where you live. If that's true, then before investing in any knife I would suggest checking (or rechecking) the actual wording of the law you are trying to obey as it is written. I say this because, AFAIK, no US city, county, state, or other political entity which restricts knives on the basis of blade length specifies that said measurement is based on cutting edge length.
Paul
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

The FRN native is 3 1/8" but it has a choil so the edge is a tad shorter. You could grind the tip down pretty easily.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

bh49 wrote:Jack,
I strongly disagree with you. Cheerios is much better, especially in Chocolate and Apple Cinnamon flavors. Did you ever tried them?
I survived my mid-twenties on a diet of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios and Ramen Noodles. +1 on Apple Cinnamon... or the Honey Nut if you want to be like Omar.
Cereal_killer wrote:Guys thank you all for the suggestions/advice and the welcome, sal it is really awesome to receive a welcome from you too.

Ok a quick google search has turned up an amazon listing for a black G10 manix2 w/ DLC black blade. It's got several reviews mentioning it has a black blade, as well as the description but the pic is of a silver blade. There is not a spyderco PN listed, is this knife good to go? I sent the seller a question but doubt ill head back till Monday. I like the looks of the m2 but I also think ill look into having a blade coated and go the delica route w/ aftermarket coating. Thanks for all the help guys.

Edit: I see the knife on spyderco's site, now I just need to wait for the amazon seller to let me know what's up with the silver blade in the pic.
I have two of the all black Manix2s and they are awesome knives... but the blade length is going to be a bit longer than what you were looking for.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I believe I've seen pictures of a black bladed Native FRN.

Spyderco.com says: cutting edge 2.625" (67 mm)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!