White FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

White FRN

Post by paladin »

Reading another post about the blue FRN ZDP Stretch got me thinking...Why can't all the FRN models be offered in white as an option? Dye jobs are easy enough for even the novice. The added luxury of customizing your own color would offset any added time & labor on the end user's behalf. And I would think white FRN would be as cheap ( maybe cheaper ) to manufacture as the colored variety. Must be for some business reason unseen by me, Joe Spyderbuyer. :confused:
Holland

Post by Holland »

I am 100% with u :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sounds good to me. I know they've offered them before.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am a fan of white. We all know how easily the FRN cleans up.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Yup I think I posted somewhere a white frn Endura and M2 would do me :D .
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have one white FRN knife, a Dragonfly. The white FRN stayed white for about 11.2 seconds, which is probably a record for me. It may be easily changed, but as-is it shows dirt worse than anything.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like white. I wish more FRN knives were offered with DLC blades so you could do the storm trooper mod on them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

If I remember correctly, the white was a sprint color that was released after an artist named Tom Sachs requested a white Delica for a NASA tribute. I believe they were all made in combo edge with a shiny clip. I know that there was an Endura version released as well as an original Dragonfly version.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:I like white. I wish more FRN knives were offered with DLC blades so you could do the storm trooper mod on them.
Oooh, I like the sound of that. Can you say, "Sprint Storm-trooper Stretch?" :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

KrisOK wrote:If I remember correctly, the white was a sprint color that was released after an artist named Tom Sachs requested a white Delica for a NASA tribute. I believe they were all made in combo edge with a shiny clip. I know that there was an Endura version released as well as an original Dragonfly version.
White FRN was used before this guy asked for it. I have a white FRN rescue with the integral clip that was specially made for a fire dept up in Canada. I know, a white knife where there is alot of snow during much of the year doesn't make sense to me either..lol.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like the white but they do suffer from dye-transfer as well.

Still, I'm voting for more too!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Holland wrote:I am 100% with u :)
Me too! Or Grey, it can also be RiT dyed... Hmmm...How many Grey SB Stretches am I getting?
yablanowitz wrote:I have one white FRN knife, a Dragonfly. The white FRN stayed white for about 11.2 seconds, which is probably a record for me. It may be easily changed, but as-is it shows dirt worse than anything.
LOL, it comes off bro! Dish soap, hot water, brush... Magic eraser if it's bad - once a week and your g2g. You know that and I know it is just an extra step that not everyone will be willing to make but some are.

But the real point is that it can be dyed to anything you wish of course.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Once a week? Yeah, right. Try three times a day in my job, and don't expect it to look good, ever.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

yablanowitz wrote:Once a week? Yeah, right. Try three times a day in my job, and don't expect it to look good, ever.
I think the Black FRN is just what you need. I can certainly agree that the white is probably the least popular color ever for Spyderco.
*Landon*
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

yablanowitz wrote:Once a week? Yeah, right. Try three times a day in my job, and don't expect it to look good, ever.
Right, we own hundreds of knives, Im sure theres a few dark colored ones to take to your job. I didnt suggest that you replace your work knives with a white FRN one, I dont see a problem with taking one out to the groceries etc. though. Again, its more about the idea that it can be dyed to a color of your choice.

Least popular yes.

Can be changed to many colors yes.

I doubt they'll start pumping out white FRN versions, just makes for a good discussion.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
TekNyc

Post by TekNyc »

I have a white FRN Endura. Does that count?
paladin

Post by paladin »

FCM415 wrote: Can be changed to many colors yes.

I doubt they'll start pumping out white FRN versions, just makes for a good discussion.
This is the original point of my thread, thanks FCM :)

Every enthusiast on this board knows how special YOUR knife becomes to you when you customize it yourself...just like a hot rod.

Some of the things I've seen you guys do with the white FRN is amazing...like the hot glue trick when doing a dye job.

Just thinking out loud about the versatility of white FRN, thanks for all the input.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Don't know why. Personally I'm very happy with my white-handle Endura. Got it in an even up trade for a SureFire light with a KX4 LED head to a young man who needed a very good light. He's happy. though to be honest, I think I came out ahead on that trade.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderNut wrote:Oooh, I like the sound of that. Can you say, "Sprint Storm-trooper Stretch?" :D
I've thought about having some white G10 scales made for a DLC Para 2...that would be so awesome.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:I've thought about having some white G10 scales made for a DLC Para 2...that would be so awesome.
Storm-Trooper G-10 Para 2 = Epic Para Happiness. Where do I sign up?
*Landon*