Speculation on the Chaparral 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Copper would be super cool after it patinas
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

This is a cool subject. I love the Chaparral. I've had the CF Chaparral and if some of you remember I now have the Chaparral 2 because of a generous offer. I would LOVE the Chaparral 3 but it's out of my financial ballpark. I love wood but the only wood handle Spyderco I have is the Sage4. The wook cracked under the wire clip wires when I snagged it on the arm of my chair. The wires didn't bend. The entire clip just spun under the screw. This movement put a lot of pressure on the wood and it split. I'm sure if the grain were running vertical instead of horizontal the wood wouldn't have split. I wonder how that would look. I've never seen a wooden handle knife with the grain running up and down that I remember. Anyway, I feel the wire clip may be a drawback to wooden handles. I bet not many people had this issue because I thing the grain would need to be positioned just right (or wrong) for the wires to hit the wrong spot. Then, if that is the case you would also need to snag the clip on something. What I'm getting at is as much as I love beautiful wood it may not be the best choice when something (wire clip) may split the grain. Also the scale is probably thinner on the Chaparral than the Sage4. BTW, this wood split accident is what started me making scales for my Sage4. I may have made 8 or 10 sets by now and have enjoyed it. Even the ugly ones. :) There have been a few. :D

Bolster or not? Don't know. I'd have to see one to know if I like it. Probably would. Bone or antler would be nice I think. Not FRN to reduce cost since the idea of the Chaparral is a gents or dressier knife and I don't think FRN is dressy. G-10 either IMO. Had enough ti just as some others have said. I LOVE the titanium I now have but wouldn't want another one. I'm thinking to be really intriguing the next handle needs to be something that is NOT one of the normal Spyderco choices. I am picturing Paul's bolstered Stretch knife. Which reminds me. WHERE IS THE PRODUCTION BOLSTERED STRETCH KNIFE??? :D That is a BEAUTIFUL knife. I like to carry two (or more) knives. I even like my bolster Manbug and Sage4 with matching scales. A set of a Chaparral and the bolstered stretch would be a GREAT combo for people like me. Side note: I'm working on a set of kirinite black mother of pearl scales to match my Sage4 with those scales. :)

Dang!!! I wish there were a contest for someone who can ramble so much after starting what was going to be a short post. I might have a chance at that one. :o Bolsters are not common on Spydercos and are common for gent's knives. Bone or antler are not common on Spyderco's but are common on gent's knives. So.......

Make a Chaparral with beautiful colored bone or deer antler with a silver bolster.

That's my suggestion. Sorry for the rambling.

Jack
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Blerv wrote:Copper or bronze scales :D .
Holland wrote:Copper would be super cool after it patinas
This :)
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like the idea of copper or bronze, but only on thin scales. I am not a fan of small knives that weigh more than a Military!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Blade and Flame wrote:Natural (jade green) G10 would look amazing polished.
+ 1.. That sounds cool!! Liked the burgandy idea too!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Blerv wrote:Copper or bronze scales :D .
I do not know about scales, but brass liners are very nice.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

How about a Kevlar laminate?
If Spyderco continues the trend of different machining techniques on the Chap then maybe EDM could produce some interesting designs.
[tr]
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Clip

Post by Clip »

Tempered glass.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Holland

Post by Holland »

Clip wrote:Tempered glass.
Interesting :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Donut

Post by Donut »

Maybe Spyder logo machined scales. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the input. It's appreciated.

The Chaparral is sized for the next decade, trends being what they are

We made the ti versions mostly to see if we could. Both patterns are a real challenge to machine and are unique in their presentation.

The next version is being prototyped now. We should see a sample soon. I think we have a handle material for the 5th version, but won't know for sure if it will work until we make one.

But, we're interested in suggestions that you have.

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

sal wrote:We should see a sample soon. I think we have a handle material for the 5th version, but won't know for sure if it will work until we make one.

sal
That's exciting! Thanks Sal
-Spencer

Rotation:
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Argyle weave carbon nano-tube kevlar laminate
[tr]
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

einstein2001 wrote:Argyle weave carbon nano-tube kevlar laminate
In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Sal,

"The Chaparral is sized for the next decade, trends being what they are"

It sounds like Spyderco will be giving particular attention to medium size (approx. 3-1/2" closed) models. If that's correct I'm very pleased to hear it because, after carrying your knives for nearly twenty-five years, that's the size range into which I've been gravitating.

Thanks!
araneae

Post by araneae »

From what Eric said at Blade, paperstone sounded like it was difficult to work with. Care to comment Sal? I still think it is a nice handle material.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
redfeenix

Post by redfeenix »

Since we had CF and Ti, and the plans for the C4 already are complete....how about we combine CF and Ti for the C5. It could be like a CF inlay with some meticulous Ti design....ok not too meticulous :D

Combination 1: - Ti handle with CF inlay and CTS-XHP
Combination 2: - Black Al/Ti handle with multiple small shiny blue (or each circle could be a different color) metallic circlular indents (think mini Skirmish) on a black blade
Combination 3: - Blue Aluminum handle with a "splashed" out design where the ripples originate from a central point on the handle.
Combination 4: - A very irregular ribbed pattern with a bronze colored anodizing...every handle can be different in the ribbing to save cost.

Or just mix and match the above four combinations to get the desired result =D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Life is short, so buy knives while you can!:D

:spyder: Chaparral CF, Sage 1,Delica 4, Black Caly Jr ZDP (2x), Black Caly Jr. Spyderedge, Burgundy Caly Jr, Gray Caly Jr, Air, Native 5 Ti, Native 5 Forum 2013, Smallfly :spyder:
Clip

Post by Clip »

Clip wrote:Tempered glass.
sal wrote:The next version is being prototyped now. We should see a sample soon. I think we have a handle material for the 5th version, but won't know for sure if it will work until we make one.

sal
Called it!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
arty

Post by arty »

I would be up for a more "traditional" CF, or even a well done wood scale in something interesting, like Cocobolo, rosewood, or another wood. I could live with something like aluminum, but I am not a big fan of metal handles, and this would not induce me to get another Chaparral. I have 2 of version 1, and like it very much. I would be tempted by another one in G-10, especially if black or orange. I would pay a bit more to get a different cf.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote: The next version is being prototyped now. We should see a sample soon. I think we have a handle material for the 5th version, but won't know for sure if it will work until we make one.

sal
Oookkaayy...now I have to wait. I was just fixing to pull the trigger on a CF. I want to see what you have come up with.

I like carbon fiber and it can be had in different textures and color patterns. I would still like to see a dark red/black, green/black, or grey/black weave. I would prefer it a bit polished, not glassy, but a bit more than on the current one or the Caly3.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050