Anniversary Gift

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jaypowell0185

Anniversary Gift

Post by jaypowell0185 »

Next month I will be celebrating my one year wedding anniversary with my wife. She has already asked what new knife I would like. I originally asked for a Sage 1 but couldn't wait for my anniversary and bought it a few weeks ago. I am now thinking about a Gayle Bradley. What do you guys think. The price range is sub $150.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Do you have any other Spydies? That will help narrow the field a little...

(BTW, your wife sounds like a very understanding, caring and wonderful woman to offer to give you such a great gift!)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Do you have any other Spydies? That will help narrow the field a little...

(BTW, your wife sounds like a very understanding, caring and wonderful woman to offer to give you such a great gift!)
I have the following
Sage 1
Tenacious
Resilience
Delica
Endura
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

My recommendation to complement that starting lineup would be a Caly 3.5 or a Stretch ZDP-189, both very reachable on your budget.

A Military or Paramilitary 2 is also well within your budget (well, not the blue BBS Millie!), but... in the case of the PM2 a month may not be long enough to track one down since they can be pretty elusive! Occasionally various websites get some decent inventory, but they go super quick once someone spots them and alerts the forums.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Jax

Post by Jax »

People seem to love their GB.
Awesome bladesteel,quality materials and construction,heavy duty build...sounds like a winner to me!
I just took a look and saw some new GB folders for $134,so it does fit your sub $150 range..
I also agree with Radioactivespyder the caly 3.5 and zdp stretch would be great to have too.
You don't seem to have a ball lock or compression lock yet so maybe that's something else to ponder.
Maybe a manix or a superleaf would be great for you!
If it was me in you position I would ask for a caly3/or 3.5 in carbon fibre with zdp189/420j2 or grey g10 superblue,or the Bradley folder (out of what's available from spyderco right now,which is why I didn't mention a para2)
Hope you love what you get! Happy anniversary :)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Happy Anniversary, a great reason to celebrate. The previous posters have given excellent recommendations. Right now my cf Caly 3.5 gets more carry time than any of my Spydies. Thin, sharp, great clip, big enough for most tasks, and so fine, at work it draws attention to the beauty of the knife rather than the size. The Caly 3.0 or 3.5 in any version/steel would be a great choice. Of course the Stretch and Gayle Bradley are both classics in there own right. :spyder: All great knives........you can't go wrong with any of these, decisions, decisions :confused:
Clip

Post by Clip »

Since the GB is not in my collection yet, I'd vote for one of those or another Taichung knife. Their quality makes my jaw drop every time.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

I would recommend the Native 5 G10 version. It it the same size as the Sage 1 and comes in a great steel (S35VN). Made in the USA and top notch fit and finish.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Or a CF Native? They may be out by then...

Ken
玉鋼
endgame

Post by endgame »

The gale Bradley. Folder is the knife you want.it a great knife for edc.but you must keep it oiled and clean.the steelnis great for cutting and sharpening but it will rust if left uncleen.not hard to do at all.you will definatly fall in love with it.or if you can find a pm-2 sage2 or cf caly3.5.I really love the Gb folder though its such a great working knife that's why it made from that steel its made to be used not stored away.
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. Keep them coming. I am not the biggest fan of lock backs. I think so far the front runners are the Gayle Bradley, Super leaf, Stretch 2 in ZDP( I knpw I said I dont care for lockbacks but this one appeals to me in s strange way).
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

With coupon/deal code you can probably get the Super Leaf for under $100.00 at Sierra Trading post.
Niles

Post by Niles »

+1 for a ZDP Stretch. Great knife and a wicked steel!
Do no harm. Do know harm.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbuzbee wrote:Or a CF Native? They may be out by then...

Ken
+1
Excellent choice Ken.
Otherwise. Caly3/3.5 or CF Balance :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

kbuzbee wrote:Or a CF Native? They may be out by then...

Ken
The CF Native may bust the $150 limit, but is a very nice choice. The others are nice too but I'd go with the Gayle Bradley folder. It is simply an awesome, awesome knife. Yes, I said it twice ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I don't think you can go wrong with the M4 Bradley, especially in your particular climate. Otherwise, I would recommend the Caly 3 / Caly 3.5 / Calypso for your EDC needs. All are available on the trusted online retailers.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think the Gayle Bradley is a great knife for this. I don't carry mine all the time, but when I do the quality and performance are exceptional. < Seems like a good knife for an anniversary gift for the symbolism alone.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

The GB is a nice looking knife, but be aware that it is heavy and has no bump/guard, choil or jimping to protect the hand in the event of slipping. It also has a thick blade and is not a great slicer compared to other Spyderco models. I typically like lighter, thinner knives myself, but do carry the GB on occasion because it is pretty cool looking!
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

It is hard to beat the Gayle Bradley. Its fit, finish, blade steel and heat treat are on par with the best knives out there, including the custom market. It is also hard to go wrong with a Para2 and Stretch ZDP, both of which are in my regular rotation. This knife is coming from someone special and signifies a special event in your life. So my recommendation is to get the one you can see yourself carrying the rest of your life, because the more you carry and use this knife, every time you pull it out to use it is going to remind you of that special day and person you shared it with.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

The Gayle Bradley is pretty nice. Maybe choose two or three options and then send them to your wife? That way she can decide and the knife will have that added value.