My book is now published!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
mark greenman

My book is now published!

Post by mark greenman »

Well, it's been an arduous 18 months or so, but my book is finally published!

A big thank you to the Spyderco Forum bro's who helped me pick the book cover design: cosmo7809, Clip, kbuzbee, phillipsted, Don Ellis, Pockets, Bladekeeper, psimonl, defenestrate, SolidState, Monocrom, tonydahose, BAL, DeathBySnooSnoo, Blerv, senorsquare, Evil D, Tank, springnr, girlyMANN, curdog, jabba359, GTP2K1, Barman, dialex, and johnnygomer. Thank you guys for your input, it was really helpful and encouraging - you voted more than my facebook friends- people who actually know me!

I wrote the initial draft with my Surefire Pen. The pen is 6" long, to give you a sense of how big The ZSG is. It's 8x11", 286 pages, and weighs 1.8 lbs. There are 25 main chapters, and over 175 photos.

When I initially started writing, I had thought it would be much more narrowly focused. After all, how hard is to shoot a zombie? But as I gathered more and more real world shooting data, as well as science on the human physiological factors relating to shooting under stress, I ended up covering a lot of ground. There's definitely more to it than just "shoot 'em in the head," especially when it comes to training for fast zombies and post-apocalyptic outlaws.

Here's some random shots from inside the book:

If any of you guys are interested in a copy, it's now available on Amazon. There's a "look inside" feature that will let you read the intro and some other sections.

The Zombie Shooting Guide

Hope you guy like it!
-mark
Clip

Post by Clip »

Congratulations, the book looks great! This warrants further study :)
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Cheers Mark!! I'm picking up a copy for sure :) . Thanks for asking our opinions on such a labor of love. It's a great compliment to all.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Congratulations! Writing and publishing a book isn't easy. I'm working on a couple myself.
I like the cover too!
:bug-red-white
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Awesome! Congrats, Mark!

TedP
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Holy crap, I know somebody who wrote a book :D . Congrats, I hope it's successful for you.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
girlyMANN

Post by girlyMANN »

Awesome!
I hope that
the department of defense and
every state department of public safety,
makes this standard required reading.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Thanks guys!! If anyone picks up a copy, please let me know what you think :D

girlyMANN wrote:Awesome!
I hope that
the department of defense and
every state department of public safety,
makes this standard required reading.
Haha yes, so do I!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

mark greenman wrote:Thanks guys!! If anyone picks up a copy, please let me know what you think :D
I suggested it to my wife as a Christmas present. She says I'm hard to buy for.

Ken
玉鋼
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Congrats on the book! I ordered a copy and it should be here Thursday. I have to admit, i'm not really in to the zombie thing but after reading some of the sneak peek of the book on Amazon, I was intrigued. I am a firearms instructor and always enjoy reading, learning and trying different shooting drills. I'm a firm believer that a person can always learn something from every new experience. I look forward to the read and hope you nothing but success with the book. Plus, I like the idea of supporting a fellow forumite, NRA Instructor and Spyderco lover!
P.S. You had me at "eye herpes" :D
:spyder:
Dan
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Ken, I have that same hard to shop for reputation. I tell people I'm easy to shop for - they just need a spyderco catalog ;)

OldSarSwmr wrote:Congrats on the book! I ordered a copy and it should be here Thursday. I have to admit, i'm not really in to the zombie thing but after reading some of the sneak peek of the book on Amazon, I was intrigued. I am a firearms instructor and always enjoy reading, learning and trying different shooting drills. I'm a firm believer that a person can always learn something from every new experience. I look forward to the read and hope you nothing but success with the book. Plus, I like the idea of supporting a fellow forumite, NRA Instructor and Spyderco lover!
P.S. You had me at "eye herpes" :D
PM' replied to, and thanks for the kind words and your support. The eye herpes section is one of my favorite parts, but several people had told me to get rid of it - glad I'm not the only one who liked it!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Looks like a good read.

Thanks for not weapon-izing a Spyderco by putting it as the title of Chapter 2. I assume you put some sort of fixed blade in there for close quarters.

Good for you that the Zombie Craze is in full effect. I hope you get the praise you need to sell well and that it earns you enough to buy some nice Spydies with it. :)

Congrats.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
christopher

Post by christopher »

Outstanding!!!!!!
I look forward to reading it. Going to Amazon next to order one.
Chris
Chris

Post by enduraguy »

Very cool! I know how arduous it can be to take an idea that is uniquely yours from the idea phase into something "market ready". I'm going through similar with an invention of mine. I designed it myself from scratch with minimal tools. I currently still hand make it. However, my design engineer I've been working with the last few months is getting me closer and closer to being ready to send my design files to my project manager at an injection molding company. It's been a journey for sure as I was totally green to all of this stuff and have had to learn a lot the hard way on my own.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Donut wrote:Looks like a good read.

Thanks for not weapon-izing a Spyderco by putting it as the title of Chapter 2. I assume you put some sort of fixed blade in there for close quarters.

Good for you that the Zombie Craze is in full effect. I hope you get the praise you need to sell well and that it earns you enough to buy some nice Spydies with it. :)

Congrats.
I definitely plan on buying a few spydercos with the proceeds. Funny thing about the pic from chapter 2 is that it's a deliberate red herring - of the 4 tools, only 1 would actually be viable for Zombie survival - the other 3 would get you killed ;-)

But on page page 119-120 you can see my G10 Massad Ayoob being used to build the Backyard Moving Target. Had to incorporate some Spydie action into the book.

@ Christopher:

Very cool, thanks man! Please let me know what you think.

@ enduraguy

I spend quite a bit of time sketching inventions in my free time, that's so great that you've taken it to the next level and actually built it. Will it be one piece injection molded plastic?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Congrats man, I have told you before how much I enjoy your good kit reviews so hopefully this will be a best seller!
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

The book arrived and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Up to chapter 8, so far. Thought I would snap a quick picture so you could see it out in the wild (my kitchen) ;)
:spyder:
Dan
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for the kind words man. The books been keeping me from my reviews, but now that it's out I plan to start posting more to Good-Kit.
OldSarSwmr wrote:The book arrived and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Up to chapter 8, so far. Thought I would snap a quick picture so you could see it out in the wild (my kitchen) ;)
Just got back from a mini-vacation and saw this photo, super pumped! I'm really glad you're liking the book, and the PM2 is one of Spyderco's very best designs. Curious the hear your thoughts on the training drills which will be coming up in the later chapters.