Dragonfly Suggestions Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What changes would you like to see on a new Dragonfly model?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:33 pm

Round over thumb ramp crest ( ala Caly 3 )
17%
No swedge on blade spine
6%
New premium steel choice
31%
New scale material
47%

Total votes: 90

paladin

Dragonfly Suggestions Poll

Post by paladin »

I'm a supporter of littlebig knives. Love my Manbug for pocket carry and enjoy my G10 Dragonfly for waistband carry. I'd just like to poll you guys on some ways the D'fly 3!? could evolve. I'd really like to see the point on the thumb ramp's crest rounded over like the Caly 3's. Feel free to add ideas in your post if you don't like my poll options...thanks!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I'd like an SE G10 Dragonfly in S30V...
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd leave the shape exactly as is. It's so perfect in ergonomics. Great design, Sal. We just need some sprints with different handle materials and blade steels. I don't know... titanium? Black G10? Aluminum? Tan or brown or olive drab FRN? Definitely keep the wire clip just how it is. It's my favorite knife right now. :) You need a "Keep it as is" in your poll.
- best wishes, Jazz.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

My vote was for a new scale. I would like another G-10 version or FRN in.....drum roll please.....TOXIC/LIME GREEN!
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really wouldn't change much. This knife pretty much performs perfectly for its size. Between the ZDP/VG10/H1 variants, I think they have all the bases covered. Maybe just further mix those variants, like offering a SE/ZDP version, or even a DLC version. I wouldn't change a thing about the design itself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like the Dragonfly's blade just like it is. About the only thing I'd like to see is different handle materials (just about anything other than Nishijin).
:bug-red-white
araneae

Post by araneae »

It is pretty much perfect.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

We need a dragonfly hawkbill!!!

Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dodge wrote:We need a dragonfly hawkbill!!!
Yeah, I would definitely buy a wharnie version too. That would be an instant buy. The blade is already fairly straight edged though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

I'm always interested in different steels!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
paladin

Post by paladin »

Jazz wrote:I'd leave the shape exactly as is. It's so perfect in ergonomics. Great design, Sal. We just need some sprints with different handle materials and blade steels. I don't know... titanium? Black G10? Aluminum? Tan or brown or olive drab FRN? Definitely keep the wire clip just how it is. It's my favorite knife right now. :) You need a "Keep it as is" in your poll.
Evil D wrote:I really wouldn't change much. This knife pretty much performs perfectly for its size. Between the ZDP/VG10/H1 variants, I think they have all the bases covered. Maybe just further mix those variants, like offering a SE/ZDP version, or even a DLC version. I wouldn't change a thing about the design itself.
gbelleh wrote:I like the Dragonfly's blade just like it is. About the only thing I'd like to see is different handle materials (just about anything other than Nishijin).
araneae wrote:It is pretty much perfect.
Thanks everyone for your input so far...but keep one thing in mind all you purists out there...if the Dragonfly 1.0 didn't evolve we wouldn't have the "perfect" 2.0 version...not being argumentative, and I realize not all changes turn out to be improvements. But take the full size Caly, I don't recall seeing many threads lamenting the changes to that model...thanks
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I see what you're saying, but if everything that makes it a Dragonfly is changed, it loses its Dragonflyness. If you round off the ramp and lose the swedge, it just becomes a slighty smaller Urban.
:bug-red-white
paladin

Post by paladin »

gbelleh wrote:I see what you're saying, but if everything that makes it a Dragonfly is changed, it loses its Dragonflyness. If you round off the ramp and lose the swedge, it just becomes a slighty smaller Urban.
point taken
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I used to have two dragonfly: CF and acid etched. Both of the lost competition to Kopas in both: the look and ergos dept.
If no swedge, nice steel, natural scale material and "round over thumb ramp crest" will be produced I may be will be interested. Still I will take Girafee bone, zdp189 clipless Kopa over any dragonfly. IMHO Kopas blade looks much better.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would like to see a dark charcoal carbon fiber and a dark brown polished micarta with the layers showing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

hiredgun wrote:My vote was for a new scale. I would like another G-10 version or FRN in.....drum roll please.....TOXIC/LIME GREEN!
Yes, more lime green frn please!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jax

Post by Jax »

I like the dragonfly just like it is.
Love the blade shape,wouldn't change a thing about it.
If I were king,i would however decree that some sprint runs be made with super steels and different handle materials,for instance s90v and carbon fiber,or k390 and titanium.
Personally i would like to see black g10 and some cool previously unseen tool steel from Böhler or Carpenter.
Also surprised that there has never been a non stainless carbon version for carbon lovers.
Blackhawk30

Post by Blackhawk30 »

The Dragonfly blade is fine as is.Its the handle that sucks for me.It cramps my fingers.I'd like to see a Salt/Delica style handle.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely 86 the swedge and the Boye dent. Rounding off the crest of the thumb ramp would be nice, but it's something that's not impossible to do for oneself. Beyond that, I'd be happy to see a version with full liners and really cheap scales.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

I want to see the df sized UP! to about the size of the native. the current model is to small and clumsy in my big hands and i own the green g10 model which is thicker and larger than the other variants.