Did any of you pay $1K for a Forum knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:So you are saying that any auction for an out of production knife that closes at a price higher than what you personally consider to be "fair", is an example of price gouging? As you said, you're entitled to your opinion. Just not sure how many will share it.
It seems that quite a few guys share it now. They're just kinda leery about posting, what with the guys screaming about the whining. And look at you and this other guy here, dog piling on me now. Haha.

What's a fair price? Well, that's a bit hard to define but definitely it's not $1000. ;)
The Deacon wrote:Wrong. The starting bid was $99, with no reserve. So the seller was risking the possibility of "giving away" a knife that most collectors would agree is worth considerably more than that. IIRC, I paid around $300 for mine, and have watched several sell for over $400 in the past few years.
Haha, so I was wrong about the starting bid. Big risk, he took indeed. :p
dialex

Post by dialex »

Folks, there are people out there for whom 1000 $ mean nothing. Really, I've seen a guy who paid double this price for a bottle of armagnac :o
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dialex wrote:Folks, there are people out there for whom 1000 $ mean nothing. Really, I've seen a guy who paid double this price for a bottle of armagnac :o
Agreed! It doesn't mean that the knife is worth $1000 though. It just means that a guy with a lot of dough wanted it. :D
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Actually, nothing like that intended. I was typing my comment when you posted an did not see it. If every discussion ends with lets agree to disagree whats the point?

Apologies if you took anything in my posts as unfriendly, this was not the intention. I recognize your contributions to this forum (I do like those gleaming edge pictures) which is why I wanted to interject about the whole issue of price gouging. The point about "keep digging.." was meant to be humorous as I pulled that quote from the Simpsons. Maybe it came across as condescending.

Just an opinion, but it would be nice if people (not directed at you specifically, just in general) sometimes accept that an opinion is just that, if we cling to them no matter what in the face of contradictor evidence we just harm ourselves. Again not directed at you as I learned this lesson the hard way and hopefully am a better person for it.

I've noticed the trend of people getting jumped all over on this forum lately and haven't really liked it. It has happend to me often enough (even though I post relatively infrequently) lately.

Long toke from a peace pipe.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I saw a bottle of $43,000 Scotch at the liqour store. Someone will buy it and enjoy it but I would use the money to pay for my daughters education.

Choices and how we make them in the end.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

akaAK wrote:Actually, nothing like that intended. I was typing my comment when you posted an did not see it. If every discussion ends with lets agree to disagree whats the point?

Apologies if you took anything in my posts as unfriendly, this was not the intention. I recognize your contributions to this forum (I do like those gleaming edge pictures) which is why I wanted to interject about the whole issue of price gouging. The point about "keep digging.." was meant to be humorous as I pulled that quote from the Simpsons. Maybe it came across as condescending.

Just an opinion, but it would be nice if people (not directed at you specifically, just in general) sometimes accept that an opinion is just that, if we cling to them no matter what in the face of contradictor evidence we just harm ourselves. Again not directed at you as I learned this lesson the hard way and hopefully am a better person for it.

I've noticed the trend of people getting jumped all over on this forum lately and haven't really liked it. It has happend to me often enough (even though I post relatively infrequently) lately.

Long toke from a peace pipe.
Yep, peace pipe. :D

It's just that a trend that I have noticed in the various knife forums lately. Nothing is ever settled through discussion except when it involves empirical data or phsyical characteristics(often not even then). Most topics that are discussed that involve opinions just end after a few pages of increasingly bitter discussion and ends with both sides(we should be so lucky if there are only 2 sides) being more polarized that when the discussion started.

You say in the face of contradictions, people remain steadfast in their convictions but what you may have failed to consider is that what may be obvious to you may be entirely wrong from a different perspective. That is why I suggested right from the start that the discussion be ended and the parties hold on the their various opinions without any grief from the party with the opposite persuasion.

So once again, I toke and pass the peace pipe. :D
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I can see that you don't want to end the argument on a friendly agree to disagree. You still keep trying to sneak in the odd snarky comment. :D

I guess that's what some people do when they get frustrated. :p

You keep trying to make up excuses for the price gougers, you wouldn't be one of them would you?
Never sold a knife in my life, gave some away to deserving people or loved ones. Not frustrated in the least. Just to clarify.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

akaAK wrote:Never sold a knife in my life, gave some away to deserving people or loved ones. Not frustrated in the least. Just to clarify.
Gotcha! :D
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Nice one FCM4...I mean Chuck.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

akaAK wrote:Nice one FCM4...I mean Chuck.
I am proud to say that he is a fellow countryman and a knife brother too. :)

I also admire his passion and his courage to stick to his guns. I do remember me when I first joined the forums. He's just more polished at the edges than I was.

I'm also hitting the hay. I give the you the opportunity to have the last word. :D