Did any of you pay $1K for a Forum knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I bet that guy got two shills to bid for him to drive up the price. Next time he puts the knife on auction for $500, he'll get guys saying "oh man, what a bargain!". Could be well worth the ebay fees for that one fake auction. ;)
chipdouglas

Post by chipdouglas »

I could think of better ways to spend one grand than on a knife. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a knife, however awesome I might find it to be.
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

I am a big fan of the Military`s and sure, the Forum Military is with the black CPM 440V the big hole in my collection of plain edge Military`s.
I am to poor to spend that $$$ for that knife.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:On Ebay you need two somebodies to get into a bidding war, so it is not just one person's opinion that the knife is worth that much.
And in this case there were three because, in order for the bid to have jumped from $851 to $1111, the guy whose bid shows as $851 actually bid one increment less than $1111.
chuck_roxas45 wrote:I bet that guy got two shills to bid for him to drive up the price. Next time he puts the knife on auction for $500, he'll get guys saying "oh man, what a bargain!". Could be well worth the ebay fees for that one fake auction. ;)
But, unless he had a whole bunch of shills, that would make no sense, since he already had a high bid of $851 and bids well over $500 from at least 4 other bidders.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote: But, unless he had a whole bunch of shills, that would make no sense, since he already had a high bid of $851 and bids well over $500 from at least 4 other bidders.
Well then, the price gougers triumph again. *shrugs*
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Can't be considered price gouging when it is a public auction.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

akaAK wrote:Can't be considered price gouging when it is a public auction.
Here we go again. That's your opinion, this is mine. There's nothing you can say that will change my mind, and there's nothing I can say to change yours.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't think it can be price gouging when the person who is buying is setting the price.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The secondary market of a knife is always up for negotiation. There aren't any associations setting pricing similar to comic books or baseball cards. Given the rarity of some of these knives you can't even really set proper comparables. That doesn't say the general consensus of idiocy isn't up for debate. ;)

Personally, I can't imagine paying $1,000 for a production knife no matter the rarity and materials. It would have to have insane levels of nostalgia or a personal connection to approach that. If it was crafted by elves and glows blue when trolls draw near perhaps but even that would be selectively useful. We are pretty good at spotting trolls around here without magic cutlery. :p
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Exactly my point.

My last discussion about this was pointless because people too easily label things incorrectly. An auction for a discretionary item (luxury, non-essential) cannot in any way be described as gouging. Incorrect use of the term.

Chuck - not trying to change your opinion, agree 100% with your right to express your opinion. Just want to point out that an opinion built on flawed concepts or definitions doesn't really contribute anything to the discussion. It is also very interesting that this is the exact same attitude (essentially the same comment) shown by someone I recently tried to have a discussion with. Interesting coincidence.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

akaAK wrote:Exactly my point.

My last discussion about this was pointless because people too easily label things incorrectly. An auction for a discretionary item (luxury, non-essential) cannot in any way be described as gouging. Incorrect use of the term.

Chuck - not trying to change your opinion, agree 100% with your right to express your opinion. Just want to point out that an opinion built on flawed concepts or definitions doesn't really contribute anything to the discussion. It is also very interesting that this is the exact same attitude (essentially the same comment) shown by someone I recently tried to have a discussion with. Interesting coincidence.
That the concept or definition is flawed is again only your opinion. ;)

Noun 1. price gouging - pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/price+gouging

price gouging

Definition
The act of retailers increasing prices when no alternative is available. For instance, many spectators believe that oil retailers participate in price gouging.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/defin ... z2YfFMfIHa
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

But the buyers are determining the price here, not the (lucky) seller.
:bug-red-white
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

gbelleh wrote:But the buyers are determining the price here, not the (lucky) seller.
That's because there are no alternative sources. They can always sell it for a fair price in a BIN posting. :)

The required starting bid was probably high enough already.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Nice try Chuck. I'll go with the Oxford, Merriam Webster and MacMillan dictionaries. I try to base my opinions on solid foundations otherwise whats the point? As pointed out by others your definition does not fit when the buyers are establishing the price, wrong definition, but again, nice try.

Oxford Dictionaries

2 North American informal overcharge or swindle (someone):
drugs sold by the same manufacturers who are gouging patients in this country(gouge something out) obtain money by swindling or extortion:

McMillan Dictionary

2 Mainly American to make someone pay more money than they should

Merriam Webster

: an excessive or improper exaction : extortion
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

akaAK wrote:Nice try Chuck. I'll go with the Oxford, Merriam Webster and MacMillan dictionaries. I try to base my opinions on solid foundations otherwise whats the point? As pointed out by others your definition does not fit when the buyers are establishing the price, wrong definition, but again, nice try.

Oxford Dictionaries

2 North American informal overcharge or swindle (someone):
drugs sold by the same manufacturers who are gouging patients in this country(gouge something out) obtain money by swindling or extortion:

McMillan Dictionary

2 Mainly American to make someone pay more money than they should

Merriam Webster

: an excessive or improper exaction : extortion
Again, it's your opinion. Doesn't make it more valid than mine. :D

Besides, take this one

2 North American informal overcharge or swindle (someone):<<Seems spot on with my definition too, although I don't know what drugs have to do with it. :D

And this one fits with my definition as well. : an excessive or improper exaction << extortion, OTOH is different.

I do agree with you. Your defintions are better and they support my argument that these are price gougers. :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

You can bring in your arguments, then I'll bring in mine. After a few pages of back and forth, we'll just be back where we started. :D

I can tell you right off, where not going to get anywhere. :D

How about we cut out the middle part(the back and forth part) and agree to disagree right here with no smart asides(like the part where you said my position was based on flawed definitions) and save the other forumites the vitriol that will surely come with the back and forth?
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Keep digging Chuck, eventually you will get out of that hole.

Both of those definitions provided do not refer to buyers setting the price at which they are willing to purchase an item. You are relying on the fact that the buyers are swindling or overcharging themselves. Wrong again.

The it establish once divided celebration forever. Look I have an opinion just by putting a bunch of words together with no context or relevant meaning.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Man, I could sure go for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. No bananas though - bananas ruin a perfectly good PB&J.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

akaAK wrote:Keep digging Chuck, eventually you will get out of that hole.

Both of those definitions provided do not refer to buyers setting the price at which they are willing to purchase an item. You are relying on the fact that the buyers are swindling or overcharging themselves. Wrong again.

The it establish once divided celebration forever. Look I have an opinion just by putting a bunch of words together with no context or relevant meaning.
I can see that you don't want to end the argument on a friendly agree to disagree. You still keep trying to sneak in the odd snarky comment. :D

I guess that's what some people do when they get frustrated. :p

You keep trying to make up excuses for the price gougers, you wouldn't be one of them would you?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:That's because there are no alternative sources. They can always sell it for a fair price in a BIN posting. :)
So you are saying that any auction for an out of production knife that closes at a price higher than what you personally consider to be "fair", is an example of price gouging? As you said, you're entitled to your opinion. Just not sure how many will share it.
chuck_roxas45 wrote:The required starting bid was probably high enough already.
Wrong. The starting bid was $99, with no reserve. So the seller was risking the possibility of "giving away" a knife that most collectors would agree is worth considerably more than that. IIRC, I paid around $300 for mine, and have watched several sell for over $400 in the past few years.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!