MT17P - Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring K390

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

i was gonna buy a strider DB, but maybe ill get this and the native and leave the DB another week :o
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

I think this will be my first Mule. 9% vanadium sounds very interesting. But to my knowledge Böhler Uddeholm steel company is not headquartered in Vienna. I'm not sure but I think it is in the province "Niederösterreich" or Lower Austria in English. But I may be wrong
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

Ok I'm looking for some advice from those who have done this mule thing before. Where do you go for handle materials, preferrably pre cut, and where do you get a sheath, preferably kydex, that fits the knife with its new handles?
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Oh yeah, this will be my 1st mule.

Have an idea for a handle too. Near my home is this business:
http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz/
Think I might go see them for a small piece of swamp kauri, I like the idea of 45,000 year old wood handle scales on a 21st century K390 blade.
If it works out I will post pics when its done.
Senate

Post by Senate »

^^ please do!
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Thanks, Kristi!

I think we are gonna overload the web site on the morning of the 18th! :cool:

TedP
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

phillipsted wrote:I think we are gonna overload the web site on the morning of the 18th! :cool:

TedP
This was my thought
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

white paper micarta and lignum vitae, both stainless corbied..... ;)
Tom
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Mutt wrote:Ok I'm looking for some advice from those who have done this mule thing before. Where do you go for handle materials, preferrably pre cut, and where do you get a sheath, preferably kydex, that fits the knife with its new handles?
They are perfectly usable with bare handles, or you can wrap them with paracord, or you can make your own scales, or you can buy scales on ebay. Similarly you can make your own kydex pretty easily or I think you can buy them on ebay too.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Mutt wrote:Ok I'm looking for some advice from those who have done this mule thing before. Where do you go for handle materials, preferrably pre cut, and where do you get a sheath, preferably kydex, that fits the knife with its new handles?
It's probably not the least expensive solution, but I have seen sellers on eBay listing finished g-10 handles and molded kydex sheaths in a combo. I believe they sell for around $50 - $70 but don't quote me.
*Landon*
FarmerTed

Post by FarmerTed »

Bohler's website describing their steels for knives http://www.bucorp.com/knives.htm

"BOHLER K390 MICROCLEAN
Third Generation powder metal tool steel designed as an upgrade over A11. Vanadium reduced to 9% but Tungsten and Cobalt added. Edge retention comparable to A11, but greatly improved toughness. Harden and temper to 64-65 HRC. The best overall tool steel performance for knife blades."

Sounds awesome, 64-65 HRC!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Do we have a rockwell reading on these?
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

This will be my first mule. Looking forward to throwing this in the camping pack.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Sal has written about consulting with Phil Wilson on heat treating. Since Phil's K390 blades are around 63 HRC (according to a previous poster) I think it likely that 63 will be the target for the Mule.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

well, looks like I will be going by the Spyderco Outlet and picking this up the 18th. Sweet metal!
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I'll just be needing some scales :o
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Halpurn Titanium makes a number of nice (synthetic) scales for the Mules. Check out their website. I have a number of their scales on my Mules. They stay busy, so I've found a phone call works best when I'm ready to order.
As for Kydex sheaths, Sal once mentioned a maker that Spyderco does business with. I ordered a sheath from them and was very pleased. It's late and I'm about to fall asleep .... unfortunately I can't remember the company name. A search of this forum might turn something up. I'll try to find the info. tomorrow. Mike
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

böhler uddeholm has a Factory in kapfenberg, that's what i know for sure.
as an Austrian citizien i know as well that i definitely Need One of them for sure too :)
any accurate numbers of the Run yet?
i'm kinda concerned that the Website will Crash since a Lot of forumites are Crazy interested in this mt!
i Hope there's gonna be some for all of us Crazy Steel Junkies!
aogami super blue dragonfly!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Is Halpern still active? Im looking to get a couple scales. Nothing stylish, just straight up plain user G10's. STOKED!!!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Halpern's website has been down for almost a year. You can still call them on the phone to place an order.
*Landon*