CLIP CLIP READ! Barkeeper's Friend cleanser..

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

CLIP CLIP READ! Barkeeper's Friend cleanser..

Post by jackknifeh »

Clip, I tried to send you a PM but got the message your PM allotment is full. If you give Spyderco money you get an PM allotment increase. :) Just like credit card companies. :eek:

I looked but couldn't find the thread where we were discussing cleaning ceramic stones or stones in general. Anyway in that thread Clip said he would send me some Barkeeper's Friend cleaner since I've had a hard time finding it where I live. Due to his generosity I was able to try BF on my fine grit Spyderco stone a couple of hours ago. I have used Comet, toothpaste and the Magic Sponge to clean these stones and they all did a pretty good job but never got the stone looking brand new. Never could tell any differnce in how the stone cut when using it right after cleaning it eather. Using the BF the stone was white like brand new. I was amazed. All those posts about how wonderful that sounded too good to be true were true after all. Not only is this stone CLEAN it also cuts more aggressively now. It FEELS clean. Like all the pores are now open waiting for a knife edge to sharpen. I'll pass it on and offer to send a little bit in a zip lock baggie to anyone who can't find it or wants to try it. PM me with address if you want. Or if you just haven't bought any because you didn't believe the great reviews you can believe them. That is if you believe me. :D

Thanks again Clip. Clean out your PM box and I'll thank you better.

Jack
Barman

Post by Barman »

Take it from Barman, BKF is good stuff. ;)
Whenever I do a sharpening job I clean the rods afterwards with BKF and finish with a few passes on the freshly cleaned UF rods. Perfect finishing touch and really makes the blade pop. :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Funny thing. I have a ceramic stone eraser that I've been using for a quick cleaning while sharpening. Then I'd clean them at the sink when I'm finished or wait till later. After getting the fine stone WHITE and using it I used the eraser block and it make the stone DIRTY. I think I'll stop using it. Maybe there are tons of metal particles in the eraser since I've been using it and they come off onto the stone. I didn't notice it earlier because the stones weren't clean to begin with. Seems the more I learn about knives and sharpening I am constantly discovering I've wasted money on several items. Live and learn I guess. With all the money I've wasted like this I should be pretty smart by now. :confused: :)
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Does BK come in different packages or formula's? Which one exactly does everyone use for the ceramic rods? I want to pick some up tomorrow while running arrands! :)

Thx.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

sir_mike wrote:Does BK come in different packages or formula's? Which one exactly does everyone use for the ceramic rods? I want to pick some up tomorrow while running arrands! :)

Thx.
Clip sent me some that is just like Comet in the same kind of container. It seems like someone said it comes in a liquid or paste type of consistancy but I may be imagining that.

Jack
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

jackknifeh wrote:Clip sent me some that is just like Comet in the same kind of container. It seems like someone said it comes in a liquid or paste type of consistancy but I may be imagining that.

Jack
I was looking it up and seen a few different types including some in comet grains and some listed as a liquid. That is the reason for my question! :D
Barman

Post by Barman »

sir_mike wrote:I was looking it up and seen a few different types including some in comet grains and some listed as a liquid. That is the reason for my question! :D
I've used the liquid ceramic stovetop BKF with great success as well.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Barman wrote:I've used the liquid ceramic stovetop BKF with great success as well.
That is the one I was eyeballing as I like the liquid better than the grains but I wasnt sure if it was the same stuff as the grain! :)