S90V Military!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

shunsui wrote:Why then was the S90V Para2 expensive ?

At any rate, if you start with a $200 Para2 and just add the $40 difference in price between a S30V Para2 and a S30V Military, you're up to $240 already.
Sorry, not biting on this one. BBS saw te demand and priced them high , period. For me there is a tiny chance I will break down and get one..... But at this point I'm still not going to
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Fair enough.
Fred S

Post by Fred S »

FCM415 wrote:To me it is, and if they weren't I'd be buying this S90v Military exclusive. Not even fluted titanium, carbon fiber, S110v Spydercos cost nearly this much. This is a gouge. It's my opinion. "You can't say this" and "you can't think that" are your opinions. MSRP to me is not the concern. To me and me alone, I think that THEM charging $300 after taxes, shipping, and insurance for this knife is outrageous. This is what I think. What I think is my prerogative and you may disagree, but your views aren't facts but are simply opinions as well. Why can't I think it's gouging? Because you said so? Is there an official gouging guideline for me to follow? You think it's fair for them to sell it at whatever price they want and I agree they are free to do so, and are also free to treat their customers however they want, but I think (my opinion) that they are gouging outrageous flippers. JNewell, you have taken a starring role in this with me, I assure you that I understand your position. As for mine, I know that you've been trying to deconstruct it one piece at a time. My position is clear. I hope that either a sprint or a dealer exclusive from a different source Military in S90v comes out sometime in the future for everyone here on this thread that shared their disappointment on not getting one because of this dealer.

Price gouging is legally defined in most states. You will find that it only applies to goods that are essential to survival. Not sure the product under discussion is gonna make that cut.

I would love to get this knife, but I have the CF version, the terms of purchase don't appeal to me, and the $ are pretty high for me. Maybe I can get one later for better $/terms. The seller can ask what he wants, it's sorta part of that capitalism thing.

How would it sound if your boss decided that you could perform your job at a cost of $7/hr and he's gonna pay $8.40 because you can only make 20% "profit" for your work?
Experience is something you get right after you need it :eek:
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

besides, I feel like having a millie in Cru-wear is going to be more fun anyways. s90v is a great steel(I own a custom with this steel) and in no way am I putting it down when I say this, but at 150 I think the cruwear millie is more bang for your buck by a long shot.... purely on a pricing stand point.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FCM415 wrote:To me it is, and if they weren't I'd be buying this S90v Military exclusive. Not even fluted titanium, carbon fiber, S110v Spydercos cost nearly this much. This is a gouge. It's my opinion. "You can't say this" and "you can't think that" are your opinions. MSRP to me is not the concern. To me and me alone, I think that THEM charging $300 after taxes, shipping, and insurance for this knife is outrageous. This is what I think. What I think is my prerogative and you may disagree, but your views aren't facts but are simply opinions as well. Why can't I think it's gouging? Because you said so? Is there an official gouging guideline for me to follow? You think it's fair for them to sell it at whatever price they want and I agree they are free to do so, and are also free to treat their customers however they want, but I think (my opinion) that they are gouging outrageous flippers. JNewell, you have taken a starring role in this with me, I assure you that I understand your position. As for mine, I know that you've been trying to deconstruct it one piece at a time. My position is clear. I hope that either a sprint or a dealer exclusive from a different source Military in S90v comes out sometime in the future for everyone here on this thread that shared their disappointment on not getting one because of this dealer.
I have agreed with a lot of what you've said, and still do, but it is simply illogical to try to deine MSRP as gouging and to defend that as opinion. And no, I am not Mr. Spock and I do not have pointy ears, Jim. ;)
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

JNewell wrote:I have agreed with a lot of what you've said, and still do, but it is simply illogical to try to deine MSRP as gouging and to defend that as opinion. And no, I am not Mr. Spock and I do not have pointy ears, Jim. ;)
titanium millie with s30v - $240
fluted titanium millie s30v - $280
Carbon Fiber millie m390 - $220
g10 millie s30v - 140-160

selling this sprint at MSRP or close to it, is clearly a case of seeing a demand for something and being greedy. to each their own....
endgame

Post by endgame »

I agree with it beeing greedy but if people bid it up that high from zero its the buyer who is crazy and the seller shoiuld not be called greedy.if the st there reserve or buy it now that high then yes.very greedy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Fred S wrote:Price gouging is legally defined in most states. You will find that it only applies to goods that are essential to survival. Not sure the product under discussion is gonna make that cut.

I would love to get this knife, but I have the CF version, the terms of purchase don't appeal to me, and the $ are pretty high for me. Maybe I can get one later for better $/terms. The seller can ask what he wants, it's sorta part of that capitalism thing.

How would it sound if your boss decided that you could perform your job at a cost of $7/hr and he's gonna pay $8.40 because you can only make 20% "profit" for your work?
Yeah, I still think it's a gouge I'll make my own gouging definition handbook if I have to.

And as for your job example, I don't know but what I do know is that I think BBS is a ripoff.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

shunsui wrote:I don't think that will be a problem. It took awhile for the first run of the M390 para2's to sell out. And they did a second run, and they are planning to do a third run of the para2's next year IIRC.

I suspect the S90V Military will take awhile to sell out; and I expect they'll be doing multiple runs.

Moving on....

IMHO It'll be tough on those who would buy three and sell two at a profit. People may not pay a high price for one on the exchange if they know there's going to be more at BBS. Kinda makes you feel sorry for the flippers, huh ?

I think it's nice that BBS is keeping these models in a form of continued production. What's even better is that other dealers are imitating them, not in the high prices, but in reordering more of a dealer exclusive. Knifeworks is ordering more of the green Para2 and Cutlery Shoppe might be ordering more of the orange para2's. Seems like there's been a lot of waves of the brown Para2's too.

As for the high price, it's $270. You can't blame BBS for Calif taxes. There's plenty of other high priced Spydercos. The South Fork is $240, a fluted Ti Military is $250, Warrior is $250, LionSpy is 250. You take one look at BBS's website and you can see they aren't a high volume dealer. They charge higher prices. Considering the S90V Para2 was close to $200, I'm curious where people would "correctly" price the Military between the $200 Para2 and BBS's $270.
It's not my problem that they are not a high volume dealer. It's their fault that they dont get alot of traffic in their site because of their prices. We shouldn't suffer because of their business decisions. It is in my opinion that they do not deserve exclusives of this magnitude.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Popsickle wrote:besides, I feel like having a millie in Cru-wear is going to be more fun anyways. s90v is a great steel(I own a custom with this steel) and in no way am I putting it down when I say this, but at 150 I think the cruwear millie is more bang for your buck by a long shot.... purely on a pricing stand point.
Popsickle wrote:titanium millie with s30v - $240
fluted titanium millie s30v - $280
Carbon Fiber millie m390 - $220
g10 millie s30v - 140-160

selling this sprint at MSRP or close to it, is clearly a case of seeing a demand for something and being greedy. to each their own....
Yes and yes. I agree that the price seems reasonable for the exclusive, but I don't really think I want to deal with BBS. Regarding BBS deserving this exclusive I am pretty sure cash is king and if you want to put up the capital to have your own exclusive made and sell (or not sell) all pieces for full MSRP then you as the business owner have that right. It is a double edged sword and can come back to bite you. Look at the other rare and sought-after models they still have in stock. If they wanted to move the inventory, they know an aggressive price would certainly do it. I didn't have a negative experience buying the first Blue Para 2 from them and although it's not formally stated on the site, I am sure the no refund does imply store credit only will be given.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

JNewell wrote:I have agreed with a lot of what you've said, and still do, but it is simply illogical to try to deine MSRP as gouging and to defend that as opinion. And no, I am not Mr. Spock and I do not have pointy ears, Jim. ;)
I'm a pretty big Trek fan so I enjoyed that part of your post. :p Kirk has been "illogical" over and over again in the series but he did ok right?

As far the MSRP, again I'm not looking at it that way. I'm looking at street price that we all pay and it's not about us just being used to paying street price like you suggest, these are simply how much they are and MSRP can be a billion gold bouillons for a Tenacious but it's still a $30 knife... I've given numerous examples about this already but heres a quickie: G10 Cruwear Millie: $140 from a popular dealer, G10 S90v Millie: up to $300 with shipping and fees. Made by the same hands and it's the same knife except the steel. Better steel, equals more expensive but literally twice the price direct from a dealer? Some say that it is because they are "small" and I'm supposed to buy that and empathize for Mr. Bento but I'm not. To me they are too small for a knife this magnitude then.

Again, they aren't doing nothing wrong per say but we don't have to be ok with it. The damage has been done. Later on down the road, it will be referenced that a G10 S90v Millie is sold for $300 shipped direct from a dealer. Not saying that it becomes the standard, but it potentially can. Prime example: BBS's PM2 M390, someone cited that as an example as to why this one is that high, like it is justified because BBS decided to sell an exclusive PM2 for that high and is now "acceptable".

I own a Southard, SouthFork...the cost of those are somewhat close, I'm even interested in the Chap 3, expensive knives isn't the problem here. It is an expensive hobby and I know that well.
-Leonard Nimoy
springnr

Post by springnr »

MSRP appears to be a viable way to ensure your web site can withstand the traffic, of customers seeking a much sought after Spyderco variant.

My guess is the vendor enjoys it more than being cussed for selling at a sensible price. Danged if you do...
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Interesting thread......

Compared to to other sprint run Military's the cost of this model is on the higher side, seems to be around $50 higher than it really should have been looking at the percentages.

However that dealer can do what they want, it's our choice to vote with our wallets whether or not we will spend that amount of money for that model.

Personally I am not going to as it's more than I want to spend for that model looking at the materials, the $209 - $220 range would have been more reasonable IMO and that's taking the blade steel into consideration.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Even the biggest S90v AND Military proponent in the whole interwebz isn't getting one :o It's sad really.

Guys like Chuck, who has made threads to push for a S90v/20CP Military isn't getting one either. Sadder still.
-Leonard Nimoy
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Wow... Is this whining still going on? Geez.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Yeah I'm afraid so, I can't understand the whining that this price isn't worth complaining about. :D
-Leonard Nimoy
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Brock O Lee wrote:Wow... Is this whining still going on? Geez.
Well for me it's not whining.....

I looked at the model and the price along with the conditions of buying it and just decided to pass on it.

Took me all of about 1 second to make up my mind...
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Ankerson wrote:Well for me it's not whining.....

I looked at the model and the price along with the conditions of buying it and just decided to pass on it.

Took me all of about 1 second to make up my mind...
Yep, I got REALLY excited for a second, until I saw the price...
springnr

Post by springnr »

=-
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Aaand any price arguments just became invalid when they released pricing on the forum knife. S110V for 150 means bento can suck it

Big thank you to spyderco for making that one at an attractive price